News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most hated teams ever in sports

Started by golden eagle, July 31, 2010, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

I'm glad to see the hate for Notre Dame! As a Purdue alum, it makes me happy to know that the rest of the country hates them just as strongly!

SSOWorld

Quote from: Master son on August 01, 2010, 10:52:36 PM

• Chicago Bears
  • Minnesota Viqueens
  • Chicago Cuddlies (Cubs)
  • New England Patriots*
  • The NBA (what a bunch of selfish idiots)
  • Notre Dame football - I hate a team that feels that they are so above the clouds they need NBC to look for them.
  • Any BCS Football team - the exhibition season means nothing - still I hate Notre Dame above them all because they bought their way in.

Lest I forget the Yankees, Cowboys, Red Sox, - any team that wins by buying other team's players.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

BigMattFromTexas

I don't think it's possible for hating a team that wins to much. Except for the Yankees.... But what colleges do you like if Notre Dame wins to much?? You'd be better of hating my team (Texas ;)) for wining to much. Or 'bama, or a team like that. I don't care about small teams like Notre Dame and whatnot. I like Duke, and North Carolina. Those are pretty much the only non-Texas college teams I like.

I also hate Iowa State, Abiline Christian Univ. (anyone even heard of that one?) I pretty much hate any college in Texas other than: Texas ;),Angelo State Univ. (of course), Stephan F. Austin State Univ., TCU, and UTSA.
Go Horns, RAMS, Lumberjacks, Horned Frogs, and Roadrunners!
BigMatt

mightyace

Roving franchises:
#1 The Indianapolis Colts - I'll never forget waking up that morning in Baltimore and hearing the Colts had left in the middle of the night.   (Talks right before then had supposedly been making progress.)

#2 Baltimore Ravens - Ever since the Colts left I wanted to see them get a team, but not the Browns!  But, they also got Art Model and his family.  But, they still won a %&$**##* Super Bowl! (and yes I was living and working in Northeast Ohio when this happened.)

#3 Tennessee Titans - Yes, I hate the local team!  If they had been an expansion franchise, I'd probably root for them some.

There are many other teams that have moved in the last 30 years, but those are the ones on the top of my list.

Colleges:
1) Tennessee - I used to like the song Rocky Top before moving down here.  Though Pat Summit's Lady Vols basketball dynasty is the exception.

2) Ohio State and Michigan - I hated hearing about them every fall I lived in Ohio.  Of course, it's even easier to dislike them now since Penn State joined the Big Ten.

General dislike:
Any New York team (especially the Yankees)
Any Pittsburgh team
The Dallas Cowboys (the cheerleaders are okay though  ;-))
Chicago Bulls (leftover from Jordan era)
Boston Celtics, LA Lakers
Atlanta Braves (they get a partial pass for being Hank Aaron's team, though)
Any team from the state of North Carolina except Duke (my dad went there)
Seattle teams (don't know why, just don't like them)

The Oakland Raiders used to be on my list, but they redeemed themselves when they returned home to Oakland after their stint in LA.  I still remember hearing a young Cleveland sportscaster say about the announcement, "Oakland Raiders, that sounds strange."  I wanted to hurl something at the TV just then!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Ian

Quote from: PAHighways on August 01, 2010, 10:27:25 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 31, 2010, 10:18:48 PMFor me, here is a list of teams that I'm not a fan of
-Pittsburgh everything

I can understand the other two professional teams, but you even hate the Pirates?  You should like them since that is an automatic win for the Phillies.

I thought of that, but as rickmastfan said, its just the general hatred for the teams across the state from you :P
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2010, 04:45:26 PM
I thought of that, but as rickmastfan said, its just the general hatred for the teams across the state from you :P

There are, occasionally, exceptions.

Even though Bloomsburg is much close to Philly (or New York even) than Pittsburgh, most of my grade school classmates were Steelers fans.  But, this was during the Steelers glory years so they hitched a ride on the band wagon.

Now, the fact that most of those Steelers fans didn't like me (for reasons that had NOTHING to do with football) is another reason I dislike that team.

golden eagle

Quote from: realjd on August 02, 2010, 08:15:51 AM
I'm glad to see the hate for Notre Dame! As a Purdue alum, it makes me happy to know that the rest of the country hates them just as strongly!

My dislike for Notre Dame is over how the media always seem to bow down to them and try to make them seem so much larger than life. Several instances:

1. When they played LSU in the Sugar Bowl and how the play-by-play crew (Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long) couldn't stop talking about them, even though LSU destroyed them that night.
2. When Beano Cook said that Ron Powlus would win two Heismans there back in the 90s. He never came close to one.
3. When Chet Coppack on WLS radio in Chicago said during Notre Dame's post-game show that should play in the Rose Bowl. This was after they were destroyed by USC in 2006.
4. When Lou Holtz said that Notre Dame would play for the national title a year or two ago. Yeah, and Charlie Weis would still be their coach if that had happened.
5. Again, just the overall crush the media has over Notre Dame. It's as if everyone else doesn't matter.

golden eagle

Quote from: BigMatt on August 02, 2010, 03:35:02 PM
I don't think it's possible for hating a team that wins to much.

But that's why so many teams are hated: because they win. Even though teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Yankees, Lakers, Celtics and Notre Dame would be high on a list of beloved teams, they could conversely be on the list of the most hated teams out there. Sometimes, it goes deeper than like, like rivalries and opponents' arrogance.

agentsteel53

I've also never understood why Notre Dame gets so much attention.  Also, the Mets, the Knicks, and the Orioles.  The Yankees get all kinds of attention, but they're actually performing well enough to earn it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 10:31:04 PM
I've also never understood why Notre Dame gets so much attention. 

Probably because of all the national championships they have. That and having every home game on NBC.

corco

QuoteI've also never understood why Notre Dame gets so much attention.  Also, the Mets, the Knicks, and the Orioles.  The Yankees get all kinds of attention, but they're actually performing well enough to earn it.

It's a legacy problem- Notre Dame is still a very wealthy program and used to have the success to back it up.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: golden eagle on August 02, 2010, 10:33:31 PM
I've also never understood why Notre Dame gets so much attention.

Probably because of all the national championships they have. That and having every home game on NBC.
They have a lot of national championships, but most of them were a long time ago. Their last one was in 1988. Before that it was 1977. They are currently on the longest period without a national championship in their history. Any other team with their recent history wouldn't get near the attention that they do. The media still treats them as if they are relevant nationally when they aren't.

realjd

I've also never understood why Notre Dame gets so much attention.  Also, the Mets, the Knicks, and the Orioles.  The Yankees get all kinds of attention, but they're actually performing well enough to earn it.

Notre Dame is the only school with its own television contract. Every Notre Dame game is shown on NBC. It's the only college football on NBC. If your team is playing ND, to see it you'll have to watch "Notre Dame Football on NBC". The announcers are hardly impartial. And while I don't usually like to generalize, from my experiences during the yearly ND-Purdue football game while I was in college, ND fans were by far the most arrogant and obnoxious out of all the schools we played.

Because Notre Dame isn't in a conference, every time they play a bowl game, the entire pot of money stays with them. When any other team plays, they share the money with the other conference teams. The reason that they hardly ever win a bowl game? They're a big TV draw, so they always get placed into more challenging bowl games than they should be to increase TV ratings.

The NY teams get air time because of the general media bias towards NY.

I have no clue about the Orioles.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: BigMatt on July 31, 2010, 04:22:21 PM
Here's a list of mine:
9 - Montreal Canadiens.
I have more but I'll stick with 10 for now. ;)
BigMatt

I once loved a lot the Montreal Canadiens but since the mid-1990s, how the team was menaged....I did almost a 360.  I once hated a lot the Quebec Nordiques before they moved to Colorado. It sparked a good Montreal-Quebec rivalry who culminated with the Good Friday brawl of 1984! Now I miss the Nords a lot and I wish for the NHL to return to Quebec city as well as Winnipeg!

And now, I have a strange impression then the Stanley Cup might do a return to Toronto more sooner then Montreal...

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on August 03, 2010, 07:53:35 AM

also: anything Cleveland.  It must just be that my favorite sportswriter (Joe Posnanski) is a Clevelander, because there is no sane reason why Cleveland should in any way be acknowledged to exist.  Especially not with that awful mascot that their baseball team has.

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 03, 2010, 10:30:15 AM

also: anything Cleveland.  It must just be that my favorite sportswriter (Joe Posnanski) is a Clevelander, because there is no sane reason why Cleveland should in any way be acknowledged to exist.  Especially not with that awful mascot that their baseball team has.
Jake, I agree with you about all of that, though I don't have a stance really about their mascot, other than that he represents a horrible team in a god awful city.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

bugo

Quote from: algorerhythms on August 01, 2010, 10:38:20 PM
What's with all the hatred for the Sooners? :-P

Their arrogant fans, their success, their cheating...

mightyace

Quote from: njroadhorse on August 03, 2010, 03:36:42 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 03, 2010, 10:30:15 AM
Jake, I agree with you about all of that, though I don't have a stance really about their mascot, other than that he represents a horrible team in a god awful city.

Well, maybe Cleveland is a God-awful city. But, I'd rather live there than New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis and a bunch more places.

The people in that part of Ohio treated me better than people anywhere else I've been especially the cities I've mentioned.

Alps

We are going to stop bashing cities starting now.  Teams, sure.  Cities, no.  You want to make a most hated cities thread, go for it.

mightyace

^^^

Let me be clear.  I am not bashing any city I listed.

I am simply stating that I'd rather live in/near Cleveland not that the other cities are bad.

I was simply defending Cleveland for unwarranted bashing by others.

BigMattFromTexas

Sooners - Success????? Are you on drugs?
BigMatt

golden eagle

Notre Dame is the only school with its own television contract. Every Notre Dame game is shown on NBC. It's the only college football on NBC. If your team is playing ND, to see it you'll have to watch "Notre Dame Football on NBC". The announcers are hardly impartial.

To clarify, only home games are shown on NBC. Road games are shown on whatever network is contracted with that conference. And doesn't NBC air a bowl game?

bugo

Quote from: BigMatt on August 03, 2010, 07:25:53 PM
Sooners - Success????? Are you on drugs?
BigMatt

I've wondered many times if you were on something after reading your posts.

But anyway, yes, OU is a very successful program.  7 national championships.  Your precious widdle Longhorns only have four.  5 Heisman winners.  Trust me, I live in Oklahoma and I constantly hear about how great OU is.  Put down the crack pipe and you might see: They're arrogant and they cheat, but they're good.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugoOU OU OU
Quote from: BigMattTX TX TX

WHO GIVES A SHIT
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.