News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Geographical loyalties in college sports

Started by Michael in Philly, September 10, 2011, 11:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

In a takeoff on the city rivalries thread, two interesting (and road-related) items heard this morning on WHYY, the NPR station in Philadelphia.

1)  During the brief traffic report before Car Talk:  "if you're heading to Happy Valley, note that I-81 is closed in Schuylkill County."
2)  During the local news just now:  "Penn State is considering ways to compensate fans who are unable to make it to Happy Valley for today's game against Alabama."

And last Saturday, Penn State's score led the sports on our all-news station, KYW.

Are there that many people in the Philadelphia area who travel to Penn State for football games?  Are they mostly alumni of the State College campus?  Alumni of the branch campuses (and do the branch campuses have their own teams)?  Just Pennsylvanians who like football and a pretty drive?

I'm not in any way saying Penn State should be less important, just observing the phenomenon.  Because it's close to 200 miles from here to there.  Would traffic reports in Toledo or Cincinnati, for example, be taking into account routes toward Columbus when Ohio State's playing at home?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

6a

I always find the NFL TV coverage maps interesting.  This week, for example, shows the Cincy-Cleveland isn't even being shown in all of Ohio.  Atlanta won't see the Tennessee-Jacksonville game even though it's right in the middle.  DFW won't see the Indy-Houston game even though the rest of Texas will. 

I guess the guy that runs that site has revamped it a bit, as past seasons can be found here and here.

Brandon

Chicago, for where it is, seems to have a higher percentage of Notre Dame alumni and fans than Illinois or even Northwestern alumni and fans.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 10, 2011, 11:15:56 AM
1)  During the brief traffic report before Car Talk:  "if you're heading to Happy Valley, note that I-81 is closed in Schuylkill County."
2)  During the local news just now:  "Penn State is considering ways to compensate fans who are unable to make it to Happy Valley for today's game against Alabama."

I don't know why anyone would be taking 81 to get to State College as it would take you farther away from Happy Valley.

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 10, 2011, 11:15:56 AMAre there that many people in the Philadelphia area who travel to Penn State for football games?  Are they mostly alumni of the State College campus?  Alumni of the branch campuses (and do the branch campuses have their own teams)?  Just Pennsylvanians who like football and a pretty drive?

While satellite campuses have teams in other sports, they do not have separate football programs.

I'm sure there are alumni who travel to State College, whether they attended the main campus or the satellite campuses.  There are probably even people who didn't but who are fans of Penn State and Joe Pa.  They might have season tickets, have friends who have tickets, or just get tickets from time-to-time.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PAHighways on September 10, 2011, 01:45:11 PM
....I don't know why anyone would be taking 81 to get to State College as it would take you farther away from Happy Valley.

I thought of that too.  I'd use whichever route I was in the mood for to Harrisburg, and then 322.  But is the Turnpike still closed between Ephrata and Harrisburg or are there other closures around Harrisburg that might cause problems?  EDIT:  But if so, why mention only 81?

And I suppose 422/61/81/80 might seem reasonable to some people.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Ian

My friends' brother who goes to Penn State goes up there frequently to go to the games.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 10, 2011, 01:51:44 PM
I thought of that too.  I'd use whichever route I was in the mood for to Harrisburg, and then 322.  But is the Turnpike still closed between Ephrata and Harrisburg or are there other closures around Harrisburg that might cause problems?  EDIT:  But if so, why mention only 81?

The Turnpike and I-81 reopened yesterday.  US 22/US 322 reopened north of Harrisburg this morning, after the alignment was pumped dry, to facilitate traffic from the capital heading there.

Going from Philly to State College, the NE Extension to 80 would be a possibility to avoid any flooded roads through the middle of the state.

golden eagle

I never hear traffic reports here for Ole Miss, MSU or Southern Miss. Granted, none of those teams play in stadiums as large as Beaver Stadium, and loyalties split between them makes it a little easier as well.

huskeroadgeek

The pregame and postgame radio shows for Nebraska football include periodic traffic reports for I-80 between Lincoln and Omaha as traffic always gets very heavy on game days and can sometimes come to a standstill. They often advise taking US 6 as an alternate route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.