News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

^^ Both are National League teams so a World Series can't be between them.

triplemultiplex

Hey, at least they accurately predicted there would be a team in Miami.  And they even changed their name from "Florida" to "Miami" just recently.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Stephane Dumas

I saw that article on the Atlantic Cities about Buffalo who built a stadium for the MLB but they never came.
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/07/they-built-it-mlb-never-came/2509/

And it's been 10 years then the Montreal Expos moved. :( http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=443487

Desert Man

On May 4th, I attended another Angels home game, this time the home team lost 14-3 to the Rangers. Root, root, root for the home team, if they don't win, it's a shame. The Angels are above .500 currently in second place in the AL west. I'm aware Josh Hamilton is on the DL.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hotdogPi

How long will Red Sox vs. Rays be scoreless? It's been 7 innings, and neither team has scored yet.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Henry

Some sad news for fans of the San Diego Padres, and of baseball in general: Tony Gwynn, one of the best contact hitters of his generation, has passed away at the age of 54. Condolences go out to the Padres organization and his family. (Yes, my wife is a Padres fan, as she's originally from San Diego.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

I see they're only going to do 7 outs in this year's Home Run Derby.  Probably trying to move things along a little faster.  But now we will no longer be able to compare the records...

The Home Run Derby, along with every other all-star game and their related activities, are admittedly a sideshow.  And people who have strong opinions about Chris Bermen have that to deal with.  Still, any thoughts from our baseball fans about this change?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 23, 2014, 11:51:25 PM
I see they're only going to do 7 outs in this year's Home Run Derby.  Probably trying to move things along a little faster.  But now we will no longer be able to compare the records...

The Home Run Derby, along with every other all-star game and their related activities, are admittedly a sideshow.  And people who have strong opinions about Chris Bermen have that to deal with.  Still, any thoughts from our baseball fans about this change?
Yeah, it was tough watching it all the way through till 11:30. Here's a suggestion - start it at 7 instead of 8?

ET21

Timmy 2Time with another no-hitter against the Padres. Back to back no hits for the man against the same team nearly a year apart
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Bad night for UVA to have the bats fall silent. Heck of a season, though. Vanderbilt's pitchers just plain beat the guys tonight. Too many failures with runners in scoring position.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

Quote from: ET21 on June 25, 2014, 09:52:23 PM
Timmy 2Time with another no-hitter against the Padres. Back to back no hits for the man against the same team nearly a year apart

No-hitters against the Padres should have asterisks next to them in the record book.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on June 24, 2014, 10:45:47 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 23, 2014, 11:51:25 PM

Yeah, it was tough watching it all the way through till 11:30. Here's a suggestion - start it at 7 instead of 8?

I like Chris Berman's voice.  Opinionated Baseball Fans for some reason don't like announcers with a good knowledge of baseball for some reason.

As far as records go, there's always variables.  Is it fair to compare records of a home run hitting contest in a baseball park that favors hitters, compared to those that competed in a park that favors pitchers? 

1995hoo

I don't mind Chris Berman's voice, and for certain bits he's a perfect announcer (moderating "C'Mon Man!," for example). I found his schtick annoying during last year's Home Run Derby, though. He insists on doing that "back-back-back" thing despite clearly not understanding what it means. It originated with Red Barber. When Barber made his famous call of Al Gionfriddo's catch in which he used "back" something like eight or nine times, he was following the fielder, not the ball:

The point of "back-back-back" is for a radio announcer to relate the outfielder racing across a large swath of grass trying to get in position to make the catch. It has nothing to do with the flight of the ball; arguably, for the ball to go "back" it would be fouled back over the screen behind the plate. On the radio, following the fielder is more important in many ways than following the ball. If Mel Allen had been calling that play, he would have said something like, "It's going, going....caught up against the wall by Gionfriddo." You wouldn't have any sense for his frenzied run to make the catch.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Big John on April 28, 2014, 10:57:11 AM
^^ Both are National League teams so a World Series can't be between them.

My prediction: Cubs beat Marlins in NLCS and lose in the World Series.

The reporter just confused the NLCS with the World Series. Back to the Future even correctly predicted the fall of journalism.

mgk920

Since I haven't seen a basic catch-all thread on baseball in here, I'll start one.

Did anyone else catch Josh Hader's totally amazing relief pitching performance against the Cardinals at Miller Park last night (Saturday, 2019-03-30) as the Brewers' fireball closer?  He struck out all three of the Cardinals that he faced in nine pitches to save the Brewers' 4-2 win.

:wow:

Mike

Big John

Now Yelich homered in each of the first 4 games.

CNGL-Leudimin

There's this forgotten thread. Back when the last post to date was made there the Cubs had not won a World Series for over a century...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

Bumping this thread into a strange time where the Cubs have recently (2016) won the World Series. Not the incumbent champions, though.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Henry

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 31, 2019, 06:26:54 PM
Bumping this thread into a strange time where the Cubs have recently (2016) won the World Series. Not the incumbent champions, though.
And all their fans are happy that they got their chance to celebrate; I know I am one of them!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 31, 2019, 06:26:54 PM

That would be my Red Sox.  Although their starting pitching has been anything but championship caliber in the first 4 games.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ET21

I'm trying to figure out who Timmy 2Time is that I referenced  :-D I'm assuming Tim Lincecum

Clinched:

Henry

Today's the home opener for my Cubs; I hope they do a lot better than they have so far this season :)

ET21

Quote from: Henry on April 08, 2019, 11:02:28 AM
Today's the home opener for my Cubs; I hope they do a lot better than they have so far this season :)

Best team record wise is located at 35th and Shields  ;-)

Clinched:

Bruce

How long until the Mariners stumble and fall into the annual pit of despair?

Takumi

Quote from: ET21 on April 01, 2019, 02:54:04 PM
I'm trying to figure out who Timmy 2Time is that I referenced  :-D I'm assuming Tim Lincecum
Yep. Man did his career go off the rails after the second one.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.