News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

Quote from: aaroads on January 22, 2009, 01:33:56 PM
I need to reinstall the emulator on my computer; used to use it all the time.

I tried installing it, and couldn't get it to work. Apparently it doesn't work in Vista.

jgb191

101 degrees recorded in Falcon Lake, TX, coming just a few degrees shy of the all-time record temperature for the month of February in South Texas.

Otherwise, it was upper 90s in the Del Rio and Laredo areas, mid 90s in the Brownsville/McAllen areas, low 90s in Corpus Christi, and near 90 in Austin, San Antonio, and postions of central Texas.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

algorerhythms

Quote from: jgb191 on February 26, 2009, 12:48:01 AM
101 degrees recorded in Falcon Lake, TX, coming just a few degrees shy of the all-time record temperature for the month of February in South Texas.

Otherwise, it was upper 90s in the Del Rio and Laredo areas, mid 90s in the Brownsville/McAllen areas, low 90s in Corpus Christi, and near 90 in Austin, San Antonio, and postions of central Texas.
Yeah, it's supposed to get to 80 here today. Rather ridiculous for February...

jgb191

-20 in northern Minnesota and more than 100 degrees in southern Texas on the same day!  How about that?

I'm glad it's hot here....there is no way I can survive the freezing cold.

jgb191

It was a much cooler 102 degrees here in South Texas today after a string of days in the 110s last week.  And already a couple of days this month, we saw heat index approaching 120 degrees.

It'll remain on the cooler side with 101-105 this coming week.

florida

Old graphics! <3  :love:  And finding old LF music.

Abrams & Bettes might be bad (she seems like a self-important bitch at times), but they did show a great picture of a New Orleans trolley with snow falling around it.....very postcard-like. That's about all that's worthy.

Severe weather is always fun, along with hurricanes.
So many roads...so little time.

Chris

I just watched some "Storm Chasers" on the Discovery Channel. They were chasing tornadoes in Kansas... So you'll see a lot of extreme weather, plus a lot of shots of roads in rural Kansas, those are the ones I like :)

florida

"Storm Chasers" is good stuff. You ought to do a tour with some storm chasers for a vacation  :-D Get your rural Kansas and tornadoes in at the same time.
So many roads...so little time.

Jim

Just noticed this thread with the recent activity.  I've also been a fan of weather (especially a good Nor'Easter) for as long as I can remember.

Putting the interests together a bit, the combination of watching the Weather Channel and taking road trips got me interested in things like knowing which counties I've been in (Hey - there's a Tornado Warning in Illinois - I wonder if I've been in that county?) 

One of my most memorable road trip weather memories is driving (well, riding, I wasn't old enough to be helping with the driving yet) through a thunderstorm in central South Dakota on I-90 in 1985.  This was somewhere between Oacoma and Kadoka in the rolling hills.  There's not much in the way of trees or anything else to attract the lightning.  We could hear the static build in the AM radio leading up to each lightning strike, which was almost all cloud-to-ground.  One of the bolts hit not more than 100 feet off the side of the road as we went by - saw a big cloud of dust (and smoke?) where it struck and the sound shook the car.

Other memorable driving weather...  An incredibly dense fog on I-81 in Pennsylvania not too long after I started driving.  A nasty late night thunderstorm along I-95 in Georgia in January 1999 that I later learned produced a tornado not far from the highway right about when I was driving by.  And a pretty impressive hailstorm just a few weeks ago at Thruway Exit 24 in Albany.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Chris

1.5 years ago, during the fireworks at new year's, an incredibly dense fog did build up in my city. The sight was no more than 3 feet! And I had to drive 10 miles to the other side of down to get home... So I was driving, but I couldn't see further than the hood of my car, so I hung out the window to follow the road markings... I was only going like 8 mph, but it was scary as hell, because you really couldn't see a thing, I even couldn't see my exit at the mini-roundabout! (which is only like 6 feet away) In the end, it took me 1.5 hours to cover the 10 miles.  :-o

SSOWorld

I've honestly never been in fog that thick.  I've had one night where I was in fog that reduced visibility to 30 feet (approx) - I was younger - and scared for sure - didn't go above 40 mph - in a 65 zone.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

I don't remember too many fogs that thick, but I haven't run into them much since leaving Pennsylvania.

Down here in Tennessee, we get downpours in thunderstorms that can make it hard to see more than 100 feet in front of you.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jgb191

After some pretty severe weather this week in South Texas, it's clearing up and looking really nice for the weekend!   :cool:

BigMattFromTexas

I love weather, but I HATE West Texas weather!!! Im fine with the 100s, but i hate how in the winter it just gets COLD. It hasn't snowed here in about four years and even the was like a quarter of an inch :(

74/171FAN

I used to watch The Weather Channel every day when I was little but now I only care about the weather when its supposed to snow and school mght close even though that barely ever happens  :-/
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

agentsteel53

I'm the exact opposite - I have no problem with it being cold (snowy or otherwise) but when it starts getting above 70, I start boiling.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jgb191

Growing up in South Texas, my parents would never let me out of the house without a jacket and a pair of gloves on when it drops below 60 degrees, hence how I am today.

Even when it's 105 degrees, you'll see me outside with a heavy shirt and long pants without any trouble.

mightyace

Quote from: jgb191 on July 25, 2009, 02:21:24 AM
Growing up in South Texas, my parents would never let me out of the house without a jacket and a pair of gloves on when it drops below 60 degrees, hence how I am today.

Even when it's 105 degrees, you'll see me outside with a heavy shirt and long pants without any trouble.

On the other hand, having grown up in rural PA, I've worn shorts when it's in the 60's or 70's!

cu2010

Wow...lows in the 80s? We've only had highs in the 80s a few times this summer...it's been cold and rainy again! (And I'm not complaining in the slightest bit...80 is just a little bit too warm for me.  :D)

My ideal temperature is about 65 degrees. Not too hot, not too cold.

...of course, I'm also the same person that keeps his window open and fans running well through the winter in northern New York, when temperatures fall well below zero!    :)

Northern New York winters are weird...it could be -40 one day, then 65 the next! I actually remember once where we had the record high AND the record low in the course of 24 hours! 
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

jgb191

Texas is the only state in the nation (and probably one of the very few places in the world) that has registered in excess of 100 degrees in all twelve calendar months of the year since records have been kept.

South Texas has seen more days in 100s than it has seen days of snowfall in the winter throughout it's history.

Revive 755

I can generally take cold weather, I just don't like winter precipitation (funny how that changed when I started driving).  Been maybe stupidly close to a high-end F-2 tornado, and got to see another mesocyclone that I thought was going to produce - but what do I know.  It was a low, large, slowly rotating cloud that had a finger that briefly started to lower, plus matched the location of one on radar.  And supposedly did drop a brief tornado a few minutes after leaving the area.

I've tried storm chasing, but have always busted.  The drives would have been more productive if I could have gotten more sign pictures.  Given budget issues, I've never gone out more than 3.5 hours (one-way, not round trip time), and have generally waited until something had already fired up.

hm insulators

I don't like cold weather myself; anything under 70 degrees and I want to hibernate. One of the reasons why I moved to Phoenix.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: jgb191 on July 25, 2009, 02:21:24 AM

Thats me too
QuoteOn the other hand, having grown up in rural PA, I've worn shorts when it's in the 60's or 70's!
Ive worn shorts in 30 degrees before, im kinda strange like that

Chris

Already 3 tornado warnings in the NE Pennsylvania/New York region today. Right now in Orange County, NY.

mightyace

^^^
That normally a 10 year supply for that region!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.