News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible senior road trip

Started by ozarkman417, August 13, 2019, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

Today was the first day of my sophomore year of high school. I know it's going to be another three years, but time files; and I will be graduating high school before I know it. Since graduating High School is a huge milestone in life, my brother and I have been planning a very long (and possibly very expensive) road trip to Seattle, Washington; from Springfield, Missouri and back again.

Well jeez, that's a long way! So why not fly? First off, we cannot rent a car for several reasons, including age restrictions (we will be 18, but renters require drivers to be 21-25, depending on the vehicle rented and renter). We will have eight to ten people going, so multiple cars will be needed. Even if we could rent, it would cost 4-5k to rent the 2-3 cars needed or a van (we will not only have lots of people to fit in but we need to fit in luggage for those people), for the twenty or so days we will be out. Since we will be doing so much driving, almost all of the people going will be doing some driving (I'm the only one in the planned group with a permit/license so far) but it would cost too much to add that many drivers to a rental and I don't know how that would even work with the insurance. Lastly, we want to see sights on the way, like Mount Rushmore & Yellowstone.

How will we get there? To see the sights we want to see on the way, we will be following I-90 from Sioux Falls, SD to our destination (Seattle), leaving the route at times to see the attractions I mentioned earlier, plus a few more. To get to Sioux Falls we will take the relatively new MO-13/7 Expressway starting in Springfield, up to I-49/29 in Kansas City, taking I-29 from there to Sioux Falls.

We could either take the same route back, splitting our roadside attractions in to two parts to get there and back faster, or take a completely different route, seeing many more sights. A route I proposed was from Seattle, going down I-5 to Portland then go to Mt Hood and the nearby Poop Creek (because why not?  :-D ). After that, we would either go down I-5 to see the Golden Gate Bridge, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe; or simply skip California (Besides, the roads at Yosemite & Tahoe probably are not suited for 18-year olds to be driving on, I've ridden in the backseat on them), shortening this already too long vacation. Skipping CA would involve taking I-84 from Portland/Mt Hood to SLC then getting off the interstate to go to the canyons of Utah and Arizona, including the Grand Canyon & Bryce. From there we go south to I-40, taking 40 east to I-44 @ OKC, which will then take us back to Springfield.  It's worth noting that once we get on I-40 we will be going along the old Route 66 all the way back to Springfield.

This is a long trip that we are not even sure is feasible, but I and the other people who are going along have plenty of time to save up the required funds if we decide to give this a shot. We are looking at 2.5k-3k a person. 

nexus73

If you make it to Mt. Hood on US 26, be sure to climb the 6 mile grade to Timberline Lodge.  It was built during the Great Depression so it has a Thirties resort look.  What the real capper is: Mt. Hood looks like you are in it's backyard!  It really is that close. 

By taking US 26 you will also see the famous Boring Oregon City BGS sign.  Might as well get in a good laugh!

By all means, enjoy the ride.  When I was young, the combination of a car and a highway were irresistible.  Glad to see some of the current new generation feel the same way!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

When is this trip supposed to occur?   I've done similar trips in the same geography where it cost less than half what you're quoting, how long were you planning to be out there?   None of the state highways or US 50 around Tahoe are difficult to contend with unless it's in the dead of winter during chain restriction times. 

ozarkman417

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 14, 2019, 08:13:39 AM
When is this trip supposed to occur?   I've done similar trips in the same geography where it cost less than half what you're quoting, how long were you planning to be out there?   None of the state highways or US 50 around Tahoe are difficult to contend with unless it's in the dead of winter during chain restriction times.

I plan for this trip to happen in the month of June 2022. I was just in the Sierra Nevada in June of this year. The road I took to get from South Lake Tahoe to Tahoe City was Route 89. The part of that route I remember the most was the pass between the Emerald Bay of Lake Tahoe and Cascade Lake. 

GaryV

I guess I'm so far removed from high school that my thought on reading this title was that Grandpa and Grandma Were going somewhere.  Maybe a group tour on a chartered bus.

epzik8

This is a very elaborate plan. Maybe something will come together in three years' time that could allow at least part of it to happen. I like the idea of the Utah canyons part.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 14, 2019, 06:28:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 14, 2019, 08:13:39 AM

I plan for this trip to happen in the month of June 2022. I was just in the Sierra Nevada in June of this year. The road I took to get from South Lake Tahoe to Tahoe City was Route 89. The part of that route I remember the most was the pass between the Emerald Bay of Lake Tahoe and Cascade Lake.

Yes, that would be CA 89.  That's by far the most difficult of the State Highways around Tahoe.  Early June has potential to be a problem if you want to hit Tioga, Sonora or Ebbetts Pass.  Sonora and Ebbetts usually open somewhat expediently but Tioga can drag into Fourth of July Weekend sometimes if the winter snow pack is heavy. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.