News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on April 16, 2018, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 16, 2018, 04:41:35 PM
What gets me is why do they still call it a winter storm warning or a winter weather advisory ect. The official end of winter was March 20th almost a month ago yet they still call it winter when it technically isn't.

Winter weather sometimes happens outside winter. They're not saying it's still winter.

Not sure how it works in the Northeast, but many of Seattle's historic snow storms have occurred in Autumn (although almost all post-Thanksgiving). The running gag around here is that winter is actually late November through February. Snow in March or April is very uncommon.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 14, 2018, 07:01:30 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 12, 2018, 11:03:14 PM
So far, April in Seattle has been a total disappointment. Passing showers almost every day since the first, and highs maxing out in the mid-60s on a few days only (mostly low- to mid-50s). March felt like summer in comparison.

Spring, until yesterday and today, has been nonexistent in the northeastern US.  It's been absolutely miserable, with March and April having both resembled February.   Even after this April Thaw with 70's yesterday and maybe 70 today, we'll see cold rain possibly mixed with sleet at higher elevations and highs in the 30's tomorrow X-(  with 6-12"  of snow possible in northern New England. 

The forecast is finally looking up over here. I see a 70 degree day next week. Yeehaw!

Hurricane Rex

Dry weather and near 70 coming soon to Portland. Last rainy day and 4.8 inches this month so far at my personal weather station.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Eth

It was 32 degrees when I woke up this morning. Thirty-two. Fahrenheit. On the seventeenth of April in Atlanta. (The record for this date is 31, set in 1905.)

It's sunny and 76 now.

CNGL-Leudimin

Wow. A Zero (Celsius) reading that far South this late. now that is something.

Finally rain is no more, and temperatures have climbed above the 50 degree thresold that causes my running gear to shrink :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

froggie

Quote from: dvferyance on April 16, 2018, 04:41:35 PM
What gets me is why do they still call it a winter storm warning or a winter weather advisory ect. The official end of winter was March 20th almost a month ago yet they still call it winter when it technically isn't.

That's the end of astronomical winter.  There really is no "official" end.

Says the one who's had 7 days straight of measurable snowfall.....(not to mention some sleet and freezing rain mixed in the past few days)....

#February3.0

ET21

Still have one more snow to get through, but I think we might be seeing a pattern change FINALLY. 6-14 day outlook is showing at or above normal temps for me!!!!!!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on April 17, 2018, 02:57:37 AM
Not sure how it works in the Northeast, but many of Seattle's historic snow storms have occurred in Autumn (although almost all post-Thanksgiving). The running gag around here is that winter is actually late November through February. Snow in March or April is very uncommon.

Around here, if we thought winter ended in February we'd be kidding ourselves. Lake Erie is famous for producing intense November snowfalls, but the vast majority of yearly snowfall occurs after Christmas. A lot (if not an outright majority) of major nor'easter's occur in March, too. This season has been particularly gloomy and depressing (last day above 50 degrees was in February), but we get accumulating snow in April almost every year. We even had a May snowfall a few years back - it's usually mid-May before spring has truly sprung.

Quote from: froggie on April 17, 2018, 08:34:35 PM
Says the one who's had 7 days straight of measurable snowfall.....(not to mention some sleet and freezing rain mixed in the past few days)....

#February3.0

Sounds like this "spring" is almost as good in Vermont as it is here in WNY!  :-D

There was a joke going around recently that April is an extension of January this year (ie. today is January 115th!) Not far from the truth, considering the sheer persistence of the cold and total lack of sunshine  :paranoid:

jp the roadgeek

It's been just awful everywhere north of I-40 and east of the Mississippi.  We had one 77 degree day in February, and it's as if we sold our souls for 1 day of warmth in exchange for 6 more weeks on top of the 6 more weeks of winter the groundhog predicted. :evilgrin: It has snowed almost a third of the days this month so far.  Normal in Northern Maine, but all the way down to almost NYC?!?  Can't remember a Spring this dank and cold with highs in the 30's all the way till the 15th of the month.  Other than the April Thaw we had last week, it might reach 60 by early next week but nothing significant in the way of real Spring weather.  Have a feeling the apple crop this year is going to be a blight.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

Given the way last fall was, I'm guessing we had an extra August or September last year and are now a month behind.  At least that's how it feels like.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on April 19, 2018, 01:03:08 PM
Given the way last fall was, I'm guessing we had an extra August or September last year and are now a month behind.  At least that's how it feels like.

Interestingly, today had as much daylight as August 23rd. Something's a little screwy with that picture, considering I woke up to snow this morning  :paranoid:

Sounds like, at long last, conditions should be more seasonable by the weekend. About time!

Eth

Already 1.7 inches of rain so far today, and it's only noon. That's on top of a half-inch from yesterday; forecasts I've seen have us ending up with a total of somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 inches from this system. I'm now very glad I opted to come home from my trip yesterday instead of staying an extra day like I was considering.

Hurricane Rex

Portland the next 4 days: 76, 84 (record 79), 84 (record 82), 80 (record 86). Warm for April

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Last 2 days: 86 and record highs for Sherwood. 30 degree decrease between tomorrow and Friday

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

ET21

Sights of 80 degrees for Chicago!!!! Only temporary though but still nice to see models kicking some upper 70s and low 80s for early next week
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

7/8

Currently 19 C (67 F) and sunny in Lincoln, NE. Beautiful weather :). It looks like Denver should be nice tomorrow, so it's a good start to my road trip.

jakeroot

Heading back to Seattle from Orlando this morning. Every day was virtually the same, with temps in the low to mid 80s with passing clouds. Saturday through Monday, however, was a bit stormy. But very short rain spells, and nothing I'm not used to.

Eth

The sun has returned to the Atlanta sky for the first time since at least Sunday (maybe earlier, I was out of town before that). It rained four of the last five days (all except Wednesday), with Monday's final daily total of over 4 inches ranking in the top ten wettest days ever here.

A nice lunchtime here, sunny and 69 with a forecast high of 72. Still cooler than average for this weekend with highs around 70-75, but with no clouds at all that'll feel just fine.

MNHighwayMan

My phone tells me it's 77°F right now, and the open window tells me the winds of change are going nuts. I've had to retrieve a plastic bin and a few loose bags out of the yard today. Definitely feels more like late May than late April.

Hurricane Rex

Yesterday it went from 86 to 58 in Portland (midnight high). Talk about a temperature swing. 3 days of wet before we warm up again.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 28, 2018, 01:33:27 PM
Yesterday it went from 86 to 58 in Portland (midnight high). Talk about a temperature swing. 3 days of wet before we warm up again.

LG-TP260

We're on the rollercoaster in the northeast.  Yesterday was 70 and sunny.  Today barely made it above 50 with on and off rain mixed with some sun.  Tonight, it is supposed to get down into the upper 30's, and there may even be some snow in the air in the higher terrain.  Tomorrow's highs look like they'll barely hit 50.  Then Tuesday, it's supposed to be 75 followed by low to mid 80's Wednesday and Thursday.  April goes out like February and May comes in like June.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Hurricane Rex

Today and tomorrow will feature showers, followed by a Warm up into the upper 80s or 90s (spell check hates me). For reference, today will be about 70 and our average is 65.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Eth

The heat is about to be very much on in Atlanta. We're a little warmer than average today (82 now, likely high around 85), with upper 80s coming for the end of the week and likely poking into the 90s for the weekend, which we usually don't see until June. Plenty of sunshine through all of this, so the local pools will certainly be popular this weekend.

jakeroot

Yesterday was full of thundery weather in Bellevue, WA and the rest of the Eastside of Seattle. I was out doing some driving for Lyft when I drove straight through a pretty big thunderstorm. They're pretty rare here, so it was cool to see. Second day in a row up here with thunderstorms in the region. Both days have been pretty warm too. Upper 70s and low 80s.

Today is crap though. Passing showers, low 60s. X-(

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2018, 12:52:39 PM

Now that is a paradox* if I've ever seen one. Low 60s is the perfect temperature :)

*I can't decide if paradox or oxymoron is the word I really want. But you get the idea.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on May 09, 2018, 10:35:41 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2018, 12:52:39 PM

Now that is a paradox* if I've ever seen one. Low 60s is the perfect temperature :)

*I can't decide if paradox or oxymoron is the word I really want. But you get the idea.

Low 60s is fine if you're used to really cold temperatures, but I'm not. Low 30s is about as cold as it usually gets round here. And it's been in the 70s pretty consistently for the past few weeks, so it feels cold. Low 60s could also be fine if you're 100 pounds overweight :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.