News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arkansas Work Zone - I-40 in West Memphis (BB0108)

Started by AHTD, January 13, 2014, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

Our next work zone is about to appear on Interstate 40 in West Memphis, Arkansas (Crittenden County).

See link below to read the news release about this project.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2013/Bid%20Opening/December/CRITTENDEN.pdf

This project will occur where I-40 and I-55 share alignment through West Memphis. There are three lanes in both directions on this stretch of I-40. At least two lanes in each direction will be kept open at all times. No alternate routes are available.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

NE2

Quote from: AHTD on January 13, 2014, 06:03:55 PM
where I-40 and I-55 share alignment
and US 61 and US 64. Not that you'd know that by signs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2014, 06:07:22 PM

That's probably better taken up with the sign shop.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on January 13, 2014, 08:57:43 PM

That's probably better taken up with the sign shop.
No, NE2 is right.  AHTD signing all routes?  Never!

AHTD

Weather permitting next week, the contractor should have boots on the ground to begin this project. See news release here: http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-013.pdf

By this time next week, EB traffic in the work zone will be reduced to two lanes.

Initial estimates indicate a mid-fall completion this year.

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 14, 2014, 12:59:18 AM

Never say "never" :

But, admittedly, this is more the exception than the rule.   :-D

AHTD

This work zone is now on our new travel and construction information web site: www.idrivearkansas.com

AHTD

We are seeing major delays during certain parts of the day at this location and would like to explain why we have both I-40 and I-55 down to one lane coming west out of Memphis.

This project involves the total replacement of pavement in West Memphis where I-40 and I-55 share alignment. There are three lanes on this stretch of road that are normally fed by four lanes (two from each Interstate).

Since we are working on one lane at a time, that leaves two lanes open for traffic. We have narrowed both I-40 and I-55 to one lane. Each lane feeds into one of the available two in the work zone.

There are no alternate routes and we have heard from a number of folks that live in Arkansas whose commute to work in Memphis has gone from 15 minutes to up to two hours. At this time traffic is typically backing up during rush hour. Other parts of the day it flows without problem.

If you or anyone you know plan to travel through West Memphis, please consult IDRIVE ARKANSAS first. It may save you several hours.

AHTD

We made a few adjustments to the pattern last Friday. Seems to be working well so far.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-067.pdf

US71

Quote from: AHTD on March 19, 2014, 06:18:19 PM
We made a few adjustments to the pattern last Friday. Seems to be working well so far.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-067.pdf

I'll be there this weekend: I'll let you know what I think ;)

M86

Quote from: US71 on January 27, 2014, 10:37:20 AM

Never say "never" :

I'll never say "never" again!  :-D

But that resembles the signage in Dothan, Alabama.....  :banghead:
I think it was Frank Vozel that I spoke with concerning multiplexes.  He was a very nice guy, but ehhhh.  Hopefully AHTD will change this.

US71

My first impressions of the West Memphis Construction zone:

It's still a major pain in the @$$, though it's not totally AHTD's fault. The problem lies, in part, in too many drivers being in too big a hurry. I'm doing 5 over the posted construction speed and I still have idiots wanting to pass me, even when they can't. When they can pass, they do it constantly: passing cars and truck, then passing more vehicles.

AHTD

Yes, this is very dangerous indeed.

We have also seen motorists drive behind the barrels in the merge to cut in front of others.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on March 21, 2014, 04:15:02 PM
Yes, this is very dangerous indeed.

We have also seen motorists drive behind the barrels in the merge to cut in front of others.
Forrest City is the same: using the "closed" lane to jump to the head of the line and cut off other motorists. There must have been at least a 5 mile backup Friday around 6pm, including a delivery truck broken down in the right lane.

At AR1, I dropped down to US 70, but that was an obstacle course with all the potholes :(

UDDATE
Must have been a 2-3 mile back up on US 70 WB at Forrest City today (Sunday, roughly 5pm). The traffic signals are uncoordinated so only 2-3 vehicles can get through on a single green.

I-40 looked to have about a 10 mile back-up either direction.

AHTD

We had a meeting with the city of Forrest City last week to discuss signal timing. That is in progress. We also began a milling and overlay job on U.S. 70 just east of the city. We should be in and out of there very quickly.

AHTD

This probably belongs in some other thread, but after multiple searches in the forum archives, didn't turn up any candidates.

So, we'll post this here since it's pretty close and the event will likely affect the work zone we have in West Memphis.

Our friends over at TennDOT will be performing seizmic retrofit work on the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River at West Memphis.

News release here:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-159.pdf

rte66man

Quote from: AHTD on June 06, 2014, 10:29:18 PM
This probably belongs in some other thread, but after multiple searches in the forum archives, didn't turn up any candidates.

So, we'll post this here since it's pretty close and the event will likely affect the work zone we have in West Memphis.

Our friends over at TennDOT will be performing seizmic retrofit work on the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River at West Memphis.

News release here:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-159.pdf

Again?? I thought they had done that a few years ago.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

AHTD

It has been done in phases. This should be the last.

Wayward Memphian

A relief bridge that runs from the US 63 exit to Millington and future I-69 would be a god send to relieve traffic and the ozone pollution that plagues West Memphis. Another one is a new southern bridge that connects to or close  to I-22 or I-55

There's a map out there that shows these options.

bjrush

I drove through this work zone last night while it was raining. No one was going over 35 MPH and I am thanking my lucky stars I am alive today. The striping is not visible at all, the headlights from oncoming cars are right in your face and you are 6" from going face first into a Jersey barrier.

I'm not sure what kind of temporary striping you use, but it is essentially worthless under the conditions when it is needed the most. Also, those plastic things that block headlights are needed when the cars and trucks are basically 2' apart because they're both driving on the paved median.

This was probably the most dangerous construction zone I have ever driven through
Woo Pig Sooie

Scott5114

These are all problems with Oklahoma work zones as well. I wish more states would do like Kansas and use reflective tape for work zone striping. It's visible and comes up cleanly with no grinding.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bjrush

It just struck me as especially bad with AHTDs renewed focus on safety
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

Well, for what it's worth, we have refreshed the striping in the Big Rock Interchange several times. We'll ask about this work zone and Forrest City.

bugo

I'm surprised that AHTD signs both I-55 and I-40, or signed it "I-40 TO I-55" or something ridiculous.  Is AHTD trying to confuse motorists on purpose?

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 27, 2014, 10:37:20 AM

My guess that the reason they signed the US highways (and formerly, AR 15) along this stretch is that when they truncate I-540 to the AR 540 interchange and redesignate AR 530 to I-530 they can just leave this section signed as US 63-65-79.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.