The happy state of affairs in automobilia of the 2000’s, 2010’s & 2020’s

Started by Tonytone, July 15, 2020, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

My experience has been much as Formulaone and Max Rockatansky outline above--quality and reliability have different meanings in the upper price echelons.

It might be different for the German makes, but my experience with Toyota and Lexus has been that the latter is usually the first to receive technical advances, and often does so before the bugs are fully worked out.  For example, electronically actuated throttles were used on Lexus models (including the LS) beginning, if memory serves, in the late 1990's, and did not begin appearing on Toyotas until the early noughties.  Even as far back as 1994, Lexus was using an electronically actuated second throttle in the throttle body to cut off air to the engine when the drive wheels hit a slick patch and traction control has to activate--less elaborate designs (such as in my 1994 Saturn) relied on the ABS system to clamp on the brakes to restrain wheelspin.  Back in 2015, when I was considering buying a 1994 LS as a hobby car, the owner had just gotten it back from the shop after having the second throttle repaired.

A Lexus, even from the mid-nineties, does offer a premium experience.  But a well-equipped Toyota ten years newer typically offers a similar feature complement (the only one I can think of that is missing is memory seats), is at least comparable in reliability, runs on unleaded regular instead of premium, and is better engineered for service owing to greater maturity of the underlying design.  OEM parts are also significantly cheaper.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2020, 07:39:21 PM
Looks like Honda finally figured out the Ridgeline should at least look like a truck:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-honda-ridgeline-debuts-finally-191500874.html
Ok honda! You are getting into the groove now.

Honda can easily make good trucks that last as long as their cars & make a killing. People loves trucks, especially good ones.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on October 07, 2020, 09:44:50 PM
Looks like Honda finally figured out the Ridgeline should at least look like a truck:

Honda can easily make good trucks that last as long as their cars & make a killing. People loves trucks, especially good ones.

iPhone

I would still contend even a small truck with a transverse mounted engine and unibody construction is a flawed design, but at least looks the part after about a decade. 

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2020, 10:02:50 PM

iPhone

I would still contend even a small truck with a transverse mounted engine and unibody construction is a flawed design, but at least looks the part after about a decade. 
This is Honda we’re talking about, a company that has long refused to follow conventional wisdom on many things. Never made a road car with more than 6 cylinders, only done a longitudinal layout 3-4 times in the past 40 or so years, etc. Kinda makes sense they’d make a truck on a chassis that was once an Accord.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on October 07, 2020, 11:12:03 PM

iPhone

This is Honda we're talking about, a company that has long refused to follow conventional wisdom on many things. Never made a road car with more than 6 cylinders, only done a longitudinal layout 3-4 times in the past 40 or so years, etc. Kinda makes sense they'd make a truck on a chassis that was once an Accord.

Yes but their refusal to give the truck market what they want hasn't helped their volume.  The Ridgeline is declining in a booming small/mid-size truck market.  The competition offers what truck buyers tend to want, even if it is only a nominal difference in reality.  Apparently the Ridgeline is a profitable line though despite the low volume. 

CoreySamson

Looks kinda like they stuck on a Tacoma's grill and gave it Honda looks. At least it doesn't look like a Pilot anymore.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2020, 11:19:43 PM

iPhone

This is Honda we're talking about, a company that has long refused to follow conventional wisdom on many things. Never made a road car with more than 6 cylinders, only done a longitudinal layout 3-4 times in the past 40 or so years, etc. Kinda makes sense they'd make a truck on a chassis that was once an Accord.

Yes but their refusal to give the truck market what they want hasn't helped their volume.  The Ridgeline is declining in a booming small/mid-size truck market.  The competition offers what truck buyers tend to want, even if it is only a nominal difference in reality.  Apparently the Ridgeline is a profitable line though despite the low volume. 
Makes sense that it'd be profitable. All they did was retool the Pilot a bit. Was it declining before the Ranger came back?

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on October 08, 2020, 10:09:23 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2020, 11:19:43 PM

iPhone

Makes sense that it'd be profitable. All they did was retool the Pilot a bit. Was it declining before the Ranger came back?

Slightly before, although it looks like they are a gradual decline through the 40,000 range rather than a plummet. 

Takumi

Were I looking for a truck, I'd at least cross-shop the Ridgeline with a few similarly sized trucks: the Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado, and maybe the Frontier are all about the right size I'd want in a truck. Outside of a short bed single cab, an F-series-sized truck is too big for me. I recently drove an F150 briefly at work, and found it to be much too large.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Saw a new Corvette for the first time last Thursday on I-79 southbound somewhere between Weston and the exit for Corridor L. At first I wasn't sure what was coming up behind us in the other lane until I made out the Corvette logo at a distance. It was then instantly obvious what it was. I've never been a Corvette person; if I were to look at that sort of car, I'd be more likely to look at one of the European models, likely the Boxster or Cayman. But the new Corvette looked sharp. It looked a lot more like one of the European cars; initially at a distance I wondered if it might be a Ferrari approaching, though I figured that was very unlikely in the middle of West Virginia. This model could open up a whole new market for the car. I once saw something distinguishing between Porsche people and Corvette people and suggesting if you like one, you're not likely to buy the other. Fair enough traditionally, but I suspect that could change to some degree with the new model.

The guy driving it obviously realized I was checking out the car in my mirrors and as he went by because he flashed a peace sign as he passed us.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

I've seen a few C8s now. It does sort of look like a cross between a Ferrari and a C7.

(For those unaware, the new Corvette is now mid-rear-engined, which had been rumored to happen for years if not decades.)

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Tonytone

How are we feeling about the emergence of all the new and upcoming electric vehicles since we last spoke about them?

It's amazing that only 4 years ago you barely saw any, however in this day and age I see one everywhere from highway to city to suburb.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 02, 2022, 10:28:36 PM
How are we feeling about the emergence of all the new and upcoming electric vehicles since we last spoke about them?

It's amazing that only 4 years ago you barely saw any, however in this day and age I see one everywhere from highway to city to suburb.

Still mostly "meh."   27k (pre-tax credit) is a huge ask for the most entry level EV equivalent in the form of the Bolt.  Range is still an issue along with charging times and a general lack of infrastructure.  Maybe in five years it will be more optimistic than it is now, but I don't see myself going upmarket for a new EV commuter as it currently stands. 

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2022, 10:50:34 PM

Still mostly "meh."   27k (pre-tax credit) is a huge ask for the most entry level EV equivalent in the form of the Bolt.  Range is still an issue along with charging times and a general lack of infrastructure.  Maybe in five years it will be more optimistic than it is now, but I don't see myself going upmarket for a new EV commuter as it currently stands.

That's the thing that gets me, for the price of an EV the range (which is still pitiful even with the higher end models) max range is like 300+ Miles.

Then it goes down even more depending how you drive and use simple things like Heat and A/C.

The New Tesla truck they showed off with a range of 300 Miles for the $150,000 model and 500 Miles for the $180,000 Model is insane, that truck is only good for city driving there's no way that's gonna take off until it's at 1000+ miles per charge or some type of charge drive system.

https://www.tesla.com/semi

They are making great advances but until I can get in my Tesla I got for $10,000 used with a 400+ Range that actually lasts Ill be sticking to that good ol 97 & 95

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 02, 2022, 11:01:37 PM

That's the thing that gets me, for the price of an EV the range (which is still pitiful even with the higher end models) max range is like 300+ Miles.

Then it goes down even more depending how you drive and use simple things like Heat and A/C.

The New Tesla truck they showed off with a range of 300 Miles for the $150,000 model and 500 Miles for the $180,000 Model is insane, that truck is only good for city driving there's no way that's gonna take off until it's at 1000+ miles per charge or some type of charge drive system.

https://www.tesla.com/semi

They are making great advances but until I can get in my Tesla I got for $10,000 used with a 400+ Range that actually lasts Ill be sticking to that good ol 97 & 95

Regardless of when I make the jump to an EV commuter I'll be holding onto my ICE cars for road trips.  Really it is a matter of picking between the Impreza and Forester, the Challenger definitely isn't going anywhere.  There are too many dark holes out west I would hate to be wanting for a charging station or potentially having an EV-style (see what happens to Teslas, they basically freeze in place) break down.

Tonytone

Regardless of when I make the jump to an EV commuter I'll be holding onto my ICE cars for road trips.  Really it is a matter of picking between the Impreza and Forester, the Challenger definitely isn't going anywhere.  There are too many dark holes out west I would hate to be wanting for a charging station or potentially having an EV-style (see what happens to Teslas, they basically freeze in place) break down.

That's a good point about car trips and it's especially true for the Midwest/West I forget how uninhabited most of those areas out west are I'm used to the Built up NorthEast so not finding a Gas station or Charging station in this area would be unlikely. Being on a mountain or desert out there broken down because you can't find a charging station is a big UH OH.

Also that whole Tesla freezing up when it dies thing is bonkers. You're telling me they didn't put a neutral in that vehicle? or Neutral doesn't work without power? I just recently saw a video of a guy who died 6 FEET from the charging station, and had to WAIT for a tow truck. Must be a design flaw or miscommunication on how to put it in Neutral.

At this point in time Gas/Oil and Coal have proven to be the best power sources in vehicles (outside of nuclear power) those power sources are the main reason we even got this far in humanity so far so those are definitely around to stay.

CoreySamson

What the heck is the deal with the Chevy Captiva in the US? It was sold in other countries, but I've seen some (at least 5) around here in the US with Texas license plates. Were they sold to fleets? Are they a popular car to import from Mexico? Or is there something else going on here? It doesn't really make sense to me considering Chevy had the Equinox around at the same time. I know it is a rebadged Saturn Vue, so maybe that had something to do with it?

I figured this thread would be the best place to put this question.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

brad2971

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 02, 2022, 08:40:47 PM
What the heck is the deal with the Chevy Captiva in the US? It was sold in other countries, but I've seen some (at least 5) around here in the US with Texas license plates. Were they sold to fleets? Are they a popular car to import from Mexico? Or is there something else going on here? It doesn't really make sense to me considering Chevy had the Equinox around at the same time. I know it is a rebadged Saturn Vue, so maybe that had something to do with it?

I figured this thread would be the best place to put this question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/automobiles/autoreviews/a-chevy-so-exclusive-that-you-can-only-borrow-not-buy.html

The Chevrolet Captiva, in the early 2010s, was sold as a rental fleet-only vehicle in the USA. The one you saw was very likely used.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

triplemultiplex

Make it a little taller and paint it white and you got yourself a Popemobile!

A hearse is a great use case for an electric vehicle though.  They make short trips to the same handful of places usually only during normal business hours so there's plenty of time to recharge every night when electric rates are lowest.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jakeroot

I'm starting to notice the new Toyota Crown here in Japan (the crossover sedan bodystyle). I gotta say, pictures don't do it justice, it looks much better in-person. Still keen to see the other body styles when they launch (like the wagon and non-lifted sedan), as I've long preferred non-lifted cars.

The local Toyota dealer is having a launch party of the new Prius in the next couple weeks, definitely interested to see how that looks in-person. Hoping pictures do it justice and it looks great in-the-flesh.

Takumi

I haven't seen a new Crown yet, but Toyota is advertising it pretty strongly on social media. I also haven't seen the new Integra, any 11th gen Civic beyond the base models, GR Corolla (though I did see a GR Yaris in South Africa), or the internet's favorite hype machine, the "new"  Nissan Z.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

epzik8

I don't see the 2024 Mustang helping with the happiness. Its NASCAR counterpart will sure look disturbing.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.