What major projects does IDOT need to construct over the next 10 years?

Started by I-39, April 22, 2015, 03:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Here is a list of mine. Feel free to add any you think of.

1. Reconstruct/reconfigure the I-90/I-290/IL-53 interchange in Schaumburg (should be happening right now as part of the Addams rebuild, but it was omitted from the final plans for whatever reason. Guess IDOT simply wanted to focus its limited resources on rebuilding the Circle Interchange)

2. Fix the Hillside Strangler

3. Widen I-55 to eight lanes from at least Bolingbrook to Downtown Chicago

4. Widen I-90 to eight lanes between the I-94 split and the River Road Toll Plaza (beginning of the Jane Addams Tollway)

5. Reconstruct/reconfigure I-39/US 51/US 20 interchange mess in Rockford (reconfigure to have I-39 use through lanes) and consider expanding I-39 to six lanes south to I-88 (or at least to Baxter Road)

6. Construct the Galena bypass on US 20 and upgrade the rest of the corridor between Galena and Freeport to an expressway using the existing alignment where possible (drop the freeway plans, it's not going to happen)

7. Continue work on the US 67 4 lane expressway.

8. Finish the O'Hare expansion and construct the Western Terminal at O'Hare (on hold because IDOT and the city are pandering to United and American's demands that it not be built because it will actually result in competition and lower prices for consumers)

Brandon

9. Illiana Expressway.

10. Prairie Parkway.  Get the damned funding back for this as the improvements to IL-47 will not be enough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2015, 03:41:10 PM
9. Illiana Expressway.

10. Prairie Parkway.  Get the damned funding back for this as the improvements to IL-47 will not be enough.

Duh, I can't believe I forgot these. Also, build the connector between the two.

The Ghostbuster

From what I've heard, if they construct anything, it will be a miracle.

Brandon

Quote from: I-39 on April 22, 2015, 05:29:48 PM
9. Illiana Expressway.

Duh, I can't believe I forgot these. Also, build the connector between the two.

Exactly.  That would create a bypass from I-65 to I-88 (maybe further north?) connecting I-57, I-55, and I-80 along the way with the huge and growing intermodal facilities near I-55.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2015, 05:40:42 PM

Very true.  IDOT, for lack of a better term, is broke.  As is the state.

I'll refrain from any political commentary on the subject, but we sure did a great job of pissing away money.  If any of these ever gets built, it most likely will be as a tollway.

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2015, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2015, 05:40:42 PM

Very true.  IDOT, for lack of a better term, is broke.  As is the state.

I'll refrain from any political commentary on the subject, but we sure did a great job of pissing away money.  If any of these ever gets built, it most likely will be as a tollway.

The I-90/I-290/IL-53 interchange would be partially funded by ISTHA, so I don't understand why IDOT couldn't move it up on the priority list.

Similarly, the I-39/US 51/US 20 work needs to be moving up to the top of the list for IDOT, that area is becoming worse by the year.

IDOT needs some serious reforms, and quickly. They are an incredibly pathetic agency.

ajlynch91

1. Add a lane (or two) to each direction of I-290 from the Strangler to the Kennedy and fix the Strangler.

2. Add a lane (or two) to each direction of I-55 from 355 to the Dan Ryan.

3. Add a lane to I-80 in the Joliet area, the loss of the third lane really backs up traffic through there.

4. Build the Crosstown Expressway (yes I know it won't happen, so I just saved you from having to say that!)

cwm1276

If they rebuilt 20/39/51 as proposed it would fix most of the problem. 20 would still split to the left but both directions of 39 get high speed ramps with 2 lanes and the grade is reduced for southbound (trucks have problems with the current speed and grade with heavy snow).

Just like idot screwed up with building the new 20 Rock River bridges only 2 lanes wide with a shoulder.  They should be ready for 3 lanes, unless the idot thinks they won't need 3 lanes for another 50 years.

I-39

Quote from: cwm1276 on April 22, 2015, 06:22:36 PM
If they rebuilt 20/39/51 as proposed it would fix most of the problem. 20 would still split to the left but both directions of 39 get high speed ramps with 2 lanes and the grade is reduced for southbound (trucks have problems with the current speed and grade with heavy snow).

Just like idot screwed up with building the new 20 Rock River bridges only 2 lanes wide with a shoulder.  They should be ready for 3 lanes, unless the idot thinks they won't need 3 lanes for another 50 years.

Honestly, only the section between I-90 and the I-39 split off needs three lanes. They ought to reconfigure it to have I-39 use through lanes and having traffic exit I-39 SB to get to US 20 WB, rather than the current configuration. And I-39 needs to be widened to three lanes south to I-88.

There was a project out there for adding a third lane and rebuilding the interchanges on US 20 between IL-2 and I-39, but that has since been removed from the IDOT website. I wonder why.

cwm1276

That section needs it the most. I just don't understand when building freeway bridges why they would not build big enough to fit 4 narrow lanes on one side to accommodate future construction.

I drive that section of 39 nearly weekly, trying to avoid high traffic times as the merging can be difficult especially Harrison on to Southbound 39.

I think just having a high speed ramp to the right for 39 will accomplish solving most of the traffic issues without even more construction. The 1 lane for 39 for a mile at 45 is the crazy problem.

tribar

290 between 88/294 and downtown really needs a MASSIVE upgrade.  A band aid fix won't help.  It needs to be 12 or 14 lanes, no left exits or any of the other bullshit that freeway has.  Seriously who designed this.  It's trapped in the 50s and 60s. This stretch of 290 is backed up all day every day. If there isn't room, make room.  Blue Line can always be moved under ground. 

Also the stretch from 355 to 88/294 needs to be 10 lanes.

90 from 294 to 94 also needs a facelift.  At least 10 lanes.  This road carries people from O'Hare to Chicago.  Fix it!

Extend 53 as a FREEWAY.  No tolls, no parkway bullshit.  At least 55mph; at least 6 lanes and no traffic signals.  50 years later and it still hasn't been built.  Honestly even if it were built, I still think 12 would need a massive upgrade.  Really needs to be 6 lanes. 

Bypass around Barrington.

Rick Powell

Here's your chance to let your priorities be known to IDOT.  Governor Rauner has scheduled "listening sessions" around the state with IDOT and CDB and may appear at a few of them.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/about-idot/stay-connected/events/Infrastructure-Investment

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on April 22, 2015, 03:35:10 PM
Here is a list of mine. Feel free to add any you think of.

1. Reconstruct/reconfigure the I-90/I-290/IL-53 interchange in Schaumburg (should be happening right now as part of the Addams rebuild, but it was omitted from the final plans for whatever reason. Guess IDOT simply wanted to focus its limited resources on rebuilding the Circle Interchange)

Maybe with a change of IL-53 to toll with IL-53 ext.

Some plans are to TOLL I-290 to pay for the fix Needs 4 lanes each way all the way in to the city also the toll way is looking at fixing the ramps / I-294 widening on the other side of that.

Tolled HOT lanes in an idea that seems to be in the works.

4. Widen I-90 to eight lanes between the I-94 split and the River Road Toll Plaza (beginning of the Jane Addams Tollway)
River to Harlem Avenue under way / in planing now.  Harlem Avenue to I-94 split has the CTA and jefferson park tunnel / overpass in the way. Also no room at the split

5. Reconstruct/reconfigure I-39/US 51/US 20 interchange mess in Rockford (reconfigure to have I-39 use through lanes) and consider expanding I-39 to six lanes south to I-88 (or at least to Baxter Road)

6. Construct the Galena bypass on US 20 and upgrade the rest of the corridor between Galena and Freeport to an expressway using the existing alignment where possible (drop the freeway plans, it's not going to happen)

8. Finish the O'Hare expansion and construct the Western Terminal at O'Hare (on hold because IDOT and the city are pandering to United and American's demands that it not be built because it will actually result in competition and lower prices for consumers)
[/quote]
I-190 upgrade is due soon?

ET21

Quote from: ajlynch91 on April 22, 2015, 06:12:58 PM
1. Add a lane (or two) to each direction of I-290 from the Strangler to the Kennedy and fix the Strangler.

While everyone would love this, good luck finding the space
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

Seconded on many of the Chicago area suggestions, mainly the Crosstown, Illiana, Prairie Parkway and IL 53 extension, as well as the Hillside Strangler fix.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on April 23, 2015, 12:50:19 AM
290 between 88/294 and downtown really needs a MASSIVE upgrade.  A band aid fix won't help.  It needs to be 12 or 14 lanes, no left exits or any of the other bullshit that freeway has.  Seriously who designed this.  It's trapped in the 50s and 60s. This stretch of 290 is backed up all day every day. If there isn't room, make room.  Blue Line can always be moved under ground. 

Also the stretch from 355 to 88/294 needs to be 10 lanes.

90 from 294 to 94 also needs a facelift.  At least 10 lanes.  This road carries people from O'Hare to Chicago.  Fix it!

Extend 53 as a FREEWAY.  No tolls, no parkway bullshit.  At least 55mph; at least 6 lanes and no traffic signals.  50 years later and it still hasn't been built.  Honestly even if it were built, I still think 12 would need a massive upgrade.  Really needs to be 6 lanes. 

Bypass around Barrington.
More like 65-70 MPH min

Rick Powell

Quote from: ET21 on April 23, 2015, 12:51:27 PM

While everyone would love this, good luck finding the space

The space is there, although there are constraints with outside shoulder width.  The 4 options being studied all include an additional lane each direction in the 6-lane section between 25th and Austin.  The extra lanes would either be general purpose, HOV, or HOT.  There is also an option being looked at to toll all lanes.

www.eisenhowerexpressway.com

ajlynch91

If it meant a 10 lane freeway to Hillside, I'd be perfectly fine tolling it.

Lyon Wonder

I-55 around Springfield needs to be widened to 6 lanes and the sixth street interchange should be reconstructed too.

IDOT is holding a public open house in Springfield about plans to reconstruct the Sixth Street I-55/72 interchange.

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150424/NEWS/150429598

Posted Apr. 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Updated at 10:32 PM

More lanes, larger intersections, longer turn lanes and updated traffic signals are needed to ease congestion resulting from more than 37,000 vehicles a day on growing on a section of South Sixth Street in Springfield.

The Illinois Department of Transportation also must find an estimated $20 million to pay for the improvements.

IDOT engineers will outline their plans for Sixth Street between Interstate 72 and Stanford Avenue at a public open house May 19 at the Route 66 Hotel and Conference Center. IDOT Region 4 engineer Roger Driskell said Friday that the department will outline its plans for Sixth Street with a series of maps and displays.

The goal, Driskell said, is to improve traffic flow in an accident-prone corridor were traffic backups are common, especially during morning and evening commutes.

"We have access issues out there with the short turn lanes and heavy merging traffic," Driskell said.

Traffic flows into the corridor from two heavily traveled highways, Interstate 55 and Interstate 72, as well as into commercial and retail areas that include the Wal-Mart supercenter.

Driskell said improvements include three full traffic lanes in each direction, intersection improvements, added right-turn lanes and longer left-turn lanes. Left-turn lanes that are too short for the volume of vehicles cause many of the traffic backups. Driskell said traffic volume into and out of the area has steadily increased through the years, including a significant jump after Wal-Mart opened in the summer of 2008.

"Now, we have everything basically laid out," Driskell said. "It's going to get people through a lot quicker."

Driskell said there could be other modifications based on public comments at the May 19 open house.

Lisa Andrew of Sherman changed her driving habits more than 17 years ago as a result of the traffic backups at Sixth Street and I-72. Andrew worked at the United Mine Workers of America headquarters at 3695 S. Sixth St. for more than 20 years before the office recently moved to a location off Mathers Road on the city's southwest side.

"I had to get off on Stevenson Drive," Andrew said.

She said it had simply become too hazardous to take I-55 to the I-72 exit onto Sixth Street only to make a left turn from Sixth to the former United Mine Workers office.

"People are fed up by the time they get there, and they won't let you merge," Andrew said.

The village of Southern View, which is on both sides of Sixth Street, recently approved easement to accommodate the Sixth Street changes, primarily along frontage roads on either side, Village President Nora Petrosky said. She said frustrated drivers often cut through village side streets to avoid the traffic on Sixth Street.

"Motorists cut through. Chatham people cut through," Petrosky said. "We have people get lost trying to cut through to the west side (of Springfield)."

As for the $20 million estimated cost, Driskell said construction likely would require a combination of federal, state and local funds. Funding is not yet in long-term transportation plans, but Driskell said IDOT wanted to have the Sixth Street design ready when money does become available.

IDOT also has scheduled a public meeting on statewide transportation needs for 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Hoogland Center for the Arts, 420 S. Sixth St. in Springfield. The meeting is part of a statewide "listening tour" intended to help set priorities for transportation funding.

Transportation meetings

The Illinois Department of Transportation is holding two local public meetings in coming weeks, the first as part of a statewide "listening tour" on transportation needs and the second on improvements to South Sixth Street in Springfield. Here are the schedules:

Listening tour: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at Hoogland Center for the Arts, 420 S. Sixth St.

Sixth Street corridor: 5-7 p.m. May 19 at Route 66 Hotel and Conference Center, 625 E. St. Joseph St. Additional information on the Sixth Street project is available online at springfieldsouth6thstexpansion.com

hobsini2

I-39 wrote:

I agree.

The problem isn't the Hillside Strangler anymore. The problem is that collector lanes from Mannheim Rd (US 12/20/45) don't continue as a thru lane. If you make it 4 lanes each way up to Illinois 171 1st Ave, that would help a lot. Of course having it 4 lanes each way would be the optimum option all the way to the Byrne Circle Interchange but baby steps.

I would make a reversible 2 lane median similar to the Kennedy from Ashland Ave to Lemont Rd with entrances/exits at Central Ave and County Line Rd. 3 lanes in non rush hour times is fine.

I agree.

I disagree. The current interchange is fine and allows for a future spur into Rockford via the ghost ramps. As to the width, US 20 should 6 lanes from I-90 to Bus US 20 State St. I-39 could be widened to 6 lanes south to Baxter Rd but not needed south of that.

I agree with building the bypass of Galena but I would not give up so easily on the expressway 10 years from now especially if it ends up getting incorporated into the ISTHA.

I agree. Monmouth to Alton would be really nice as a 4 laner.

Well this is out of IDOT's hands. However, I agree it needs to be done though.

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

9. Illiana Expressway.

Yes on both. Prairie Pkwy to at least I-90 if not I-94 by Great America. Illiana from I-55 to I-94 by the Indiana Dunes. I would even connect them so that there is a true outer bypass.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

3. Add a lane to I-80 in the Joliet area, the loss of the third lane really backs up traffic through there.

4. Build the Crosstown Expressway (yes I know it won't happen, so I just saved you from having to say that!)

On I-80, it should be 6 lanes from I-55 to US 45 La Grange Rd.
As for the Crosstown, Yes!

hobsini2

Lyon Wonder wrote:
I-55 around Springfield needs to be widened to 6 lanes and the sixth street interchange should be reconstructed too.

I agree with I-55 needing to be 6 lanes. I would have it as such from Toronto Rd to Business 55 at Sherman. As to the Business 55 6th St interchange, it does not need to be reconfigured. 2 lanes each way on 55 plus 2 lanes on 72 in the interchange works well.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.