Ohio: Old "Bridge/legal limit reduced xx% for total weight and axle loads" signs

Started by route17fan, May 11, 2015, 02:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

Has anyone seen any of the old "BRIDGE (line) legal limit reduced xx% for total weight and axle loads" signs? On bridgehunter.com there are several old photos with those signs in the pics but google street view has the old sign replaced with the new style "BRIDGE/weight limit xx tons"

I have to figure there's maybe one or two matriculating around somewhere - I was just curious if anyone in the forum has seen any.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

6a

Yeah, you see them a lot in smaller townships that never replace their signs.

route17fan

6a

You know what, I was thinking of the ones that say ROAD, not BRIDGE. Those you still see in smaller villages and townships.

Bitmapped

Counties would be responsible for bridge signage in Ohio, so I suspect they'd be more on-the-ball with this than townships.  I suspect it was considered a bad idea to give a percentage figure, requiring people to do the math, versus just listing a specific tonnage.

Weight limits reduced by a percentage are pretty common on county and township roads in parts of the state, though.  Even some larger counties, like Stark County (Canton), do this during times of the year.

route17fan

I was just asking if anyone has seen any of the old signs around.  :)

GCrites

I still see these fairly often, but not nearly as much as I used to. A lot of the bridges that had them were the old "cage" kind... sorry I'm not up on my bridge design terminology. But generally they are seen on county and twp roads. I actually see a lot more of them regarding the road itself; probably due to old culverts or increased chances of slips.

route17fan

ok - that helps - so there may be some still in the wild; it's just a matter of finding them. :)

thenetwork

Quote from: GCrites80s on May 14, 2015, 09:27:34 PM
I still see these fairly often, but not nearly as much as I used to. A lot of the bridges that had them were the old "cage" kind... sorry I'm not up on my bridge design terminology. But generally they are seen on county and twp roads. I actually see a lot more of them regarding the road itself; probably due to old culverts or increased chances of slips.

Most of the time the XX% reduction in ROAD weight signs get installed on most county/township roads only during Feb-May when the ground starts to thaw out and the heavier vehicles can cause a roadway to rut in the softer ground below it quicker. 

GCrites

route17fan

I am on my own scavenger hunt of sorts to find an old one (or two) - I have found a new install off US 33 Northbound near the old OH 793 / Broad Street exit in Lancaster. Same text as the old classic signage but newly installed.

Edited: Changed 23 to 33 and changed Ross County to Lancaster

GCrites

vtk

Quote from: route17fan on May 20, 2015, 11:27:34 PM
I am on my own scavenger hunt of sorts to find an old one (or two) - I have found a new install in Ross County off 23 Northbound near the old OH 793 / Broad Street exit. Same text as the old classic signage but newly installed.

Wait, where? I thought 793 was Broad St in Lancaster...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Bitmapped

Quote from: vtk on May 21, 2015, 10:42:52 PM
I am on my own scavenger hunt of sorts to find an old one (or two) - I have found a new install in Ross County off 23 Northbound near the old OH 793 / Broad Street exit. Same text as the old classic signage but newly installed.
It was decommissioned in 2006.

route17fan

OH 793 decommissioned May 23, 2006 - almost on the 9 year anniversary of its' demise. 

CANALLER

Picture of similar example was left after your question was seen on Bridge Hunter.

route17fan

route17fan

Quote from: vtk on May 21, 2015, 10:42:52 PM

Please forgive - I mistyped the information - I have since edited and changed 23 to 33 and dropped Ross County and replaced it with Lancaster. My bad.

6a

Found one that has everything except the axle loads part. It's on Plain City-Georgesville Rd between MV High and Price-Hilliards in Madison County.

route17fan

vtk

Quote from: 6a on June 18, 2015, 03:26:18 PM
Found one that has everything except the axle loads part. It's on Plain City-Georgesville Rd between MV High and Price-Hilliards in Madison County.

Effective 1992, lol.

Thinking about it, it shouldn't be to hard to quickly determine if your vehicle is in excess of the posted reduced limit, if you know your total and axle weights as a percentage of the normal legal limit, and those relative figures can be computed and kept in mind as soon as the absolute weights are known. Do truck drivers typically weigh their vehicles at their origin or soon after departing?

route17fan

http://bridgehunter.com/photos/12/62/126217-L.jpg

This is an example of what I am looking for (the sign on the right) - just seeing if any more are still out there. The photo link is by Bill Eichelberger (to give photo credit)

GCrites

Quote from: 6a on June 18, 2015, 03:26:18 PM

I think that sign might have replaced the "total weight and axle loads sign". Not really an expert on signs though either.

vtk

Found a couple of these on Dyer Road near Grove City this morning:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.902382,-83.026419,3a,16.9y,311h,86.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMDPwHAPSpphvvKHwzRuHXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I can't seem to find the second one on GSV, but it was also westbound, further west down the road.

route17fan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.