What Major County/City Road projects are needed in IL over the next 10 years

Started by ChiMilNet, May 30, 2015, 11:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

This is similar to thread https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15375.0 except on a more local highway scale.

However, this is for projects in Illinois that fall outside of the jurisdiction of IDOT (i.e. major county of city roads). I'll start the list with some for NW Cook and South Lake County.

NW Cook County:
- Quentin Road - Widen to four lanes between IL Route 68 and Lake Cook Road and put a pedestrian overpass or underpass at the trail (despite the objections of the forest preserve, this section of road is a travesty, and a severe bottleneck especially since the portion North of Lake Cook has now been widened).
- Roselle Road - Widen to six lanes north of I-90, and widen to four lanes between Euclid Ave and Palatine Road.
- Euclid Ave - (This one is, at best, a pipe dream) if ever a compromise could be worked out, widen to three lanes (a lane each way, and a turn lane) between US Route 14 and US Route 12 in Arlington Heights (could honestly warrant four lanes, but that will NEVER happen).
- Central Road (portion along I-90) - Widen the entire stretch to four lanes. (I get the feeling the expanded interchange at Roselle Road is going to drastically increase traffic).
- Mundhank Road - Add a turn lane between the Willow Creek entrance and Barrington Road, and add additional turn lanes for each movement at the intersection with Huntington Blvd.
- Shoe Factory Road - Widen to four lanes between IL Route 25 and IL Route 72 (I'm sure the forest preserve again would pitch a fit though, as with Golf Road).
- Ela Road (South Portion) - Entire distance of the South Portion, add a turn lane, and straighten portions of it out, widen the intersections with Central Road, IL Route 68, and Palatine Road.
- Schoenbeck Road - Entire Distance, add a turn lane, curves, and maybe some lighting (this road is still laid out like a country road, even though it has been in a well built up area for years now, and I can think of others roads in the immediate area with similar issues).

Lake and Cook:
- Lake Cook Road - Widen the entire distance East of US Route 12 to six lanes (the portions that haven't been already), add lighting, and properly coordinate the timing of the stoplights. (Cook County maintains this road, but work out a joint cost agreement with Lake County as their traffic has a direct impact on this road).

Lake County:
- Quentin Road - Widen to four lanes between US Route 12 and Old McHenry Road (I'll throw in that the lane addition around Deer Park had been desperately needed).
- Long Grove Road - The portion between Quentin Road and IL Route 12 should have four lanes and lighting, and the portion between IL Route 12 and IL Route 53 should be made up to accommodate more traffic at least with a turn lane, and a higher speed limit be improving sight lines (though I'm sure Long Grove would throw a fit).
- Old McHenry Road - In Long Grove, add a turn lane (this might be a pipe dream), and North of IL Route 22, widen to four lanes.
- Ela Road (North Portion, small portion in Cook County) - Add a turn lane South of Cuba Lake Cook Road, and widen to four lanes between Lake Cook Road, and IL Route 22 (also improve the movements at the intersection with US Route 12, i.e. more turn lanes).
- Buffalo Grove Road - Between Deerfield Pkwy and IL Route 60, widen to four lanes (it looks like the roadway is easily setup to do this, and I imagine this could be done with minimal cost and impact).
- Aptakistic Road - West of Buffalo Grove Road to Il Route 83, widen to four lanes (I know a study is underway to do this). 
- Deerfield Road - Between IL Route 21 and I-94, widen to four lanes.
- Weiland Road - Widen to four lanes between Lake Cook and Aptakistic Roads.
- Arlington Heights Road - Extend as a four lane road to Aptakistic Road (it looks like most of it would be there to do so, and this might take a bit of traffic away from IL Route 83 in the immediate area).

Revive 755

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 30, 2015, 11:15:32 AM
Lake and Cook:
- Lake Cook Road - Widen the entire distance East of US Route 12 to six lanes (the portions that haven't been already), add lighting, and properly coordinate the timing of the stoplights. (Cook County maintains this road, but work out a joint cost agreement with Lake County as their traffic has a direct impact on this road).

There are widening projects for parts of Lake Cook in the works between IL 21/US 45 and Arlington Heights Road.  As for signal timing, I have found Lake Cook to be one of the best coordinated routes in Chicagoland, with it possible to go between US 41 and IL 53 and only have to stop at two lights.

Generally, if you want the signal timing to get any better in Chicagoland, you would have to ask your elected officials to make the transportation agencies use lead-lag signal phasing instead of using lead only for 99% of the signals.

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 30, 2015, 11:15:32 AMRoselle Road - Widen to six lanes north of I-90, and widen to four lanes between Euclid Ave and Palatine Road.

Not sure there is much of a need to fill the gap between Central Road and IL 62 yet - the third lanes at the IL 62 intersection do not see much use.  Southbound Roselle will widen to three lanes a short distance north of Central Road once the I-90 bridge and interchange work is completed.

North of IL 62, I'd settle for a right turn lane at Euclid, and at least getting right turn lanes at the intersection with Palatine.

In theory (per the Strategic Regional Arterial planning), most through traffic is supposed leave Roselle and use the less desirable Quentin Road that has lower speed limits.

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 30, 2015, 11:15:32 AM- Quentin Road - Widen to four lanes between US Route 12 and Old McHenry Road (I'll throw in that the lane addition around Deer Park had been desperately needed).

North of US 12 to IL 22 is being designed.  Haven't heard of anything farther north yet.

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 30, 2015, 11:15:32 AMEla Road (North Portion, small portion in Cook County) - Add a turn lane South of Cuba Lake Cook Road, and widen to four lanes between Lake Cook Road, and IL Route 22 (also add full movements to the intersection with IL Route 12).

The US 12 intersection with Ela is a full intersection - I assuming you meant to say US 14?  I think it would be more likely that the US 14 interchange with IL 68 would be converted to a SPUI before filling the gap on Ela would be looked at.

Quoteauthor=ChiMilNet link=topic=15631.msg2067477#msg2067477 date=1432998932] Weiland Road - Widen to four lanes between Lake Cook and Aptakistic Roads.

Being designed.

hobsini2

Will County:
Renwick Rd and IL 7 9th St  - Widen the bridge over the Des Plaines to 4 lanes from IL 171 State St to IL 53. Continue the 4 lane widening of Renwick Rd to US 30. Since Plainfield has recently redone Renwick Rd thru town making it a good alternate to Lockport St and Downtown, I would not be surprised if Renwick gets more traffic. The road is already quite busy.

111th St - Widen to 4 lanes from IL 59 to US 30. A railroad under/over pass would also be nice to have.

Kings Rd - Extend Kings Rd south from 111th (Hassert Blvd) to meet up with the other Kings Rd at 119th (Rodeo Dr).

Caton Farm Rd and Bruce Rd - Widen to 4 lanes from east of Essington Rd to IL 53. Build a new bridge over the Des Plaines to connect to Bruce Rd. Continue widening on Bruce to Cedar Rd.

Cedar Rd - Widen to 4 lanes from IL 7 159th St to US 30 Lincoln Hwy. Straighten out the sharp curves at Bruce Rd.

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 30, 2015, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 30, 2015, 11:15:32 AMEla Road (North Portion, small portion in Cook County) - Add a turn lane South of Cuba Lake Cook Road, and widen to four lanes between Lake Cook Road, and IL Route 22 (also add full movements to the intersection with IL Route 12).

The US 12 intersection with Ela is a full intersection - I assuming you meant to say US 14?  I think it would be more likely that the US 14 interchange with IL 68 would be converted to a SPUI before filling the gap on Ela would be looked at.

I corrected my post. I was talking about the intersection with US Route 12, and really what I was getting at there was it needs dedicated turn lanes as I have often seen that intersection back up due to poor sight lines. However, regarding the intersection at US Route 14, that would actually be a good idea to consider making the overpass on IL Route 68 a an SPUI and then connect the two portions of Ela Road (though considering IDOT just redid that interchange at US Route 14 and IL Route 68, this will not happen anytime soon, and probably not at all).

Revive 755

^ The US 12 at Ela intersection will soon have dedicated turn lanes for all but the SB right; there was a project on IDOT's April 2015 Letting to add right turn lanes for US 12.  Link to plans

Quote from: hobsini2aton Farm Rd and Bruce Rd - Widen to 4 lanes from east of Essington Rd to IL 53. Build a new bridge over the Des Plaines to connect to Bruce Rd. Continue widening on Bruce to Cedar Rd.

It was under study:  Link to study website

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 30, 2015, 10:53:30 PM
^ The US 12 at Ela intersection will soon have dedicated turn lanes for all but the SB right; there was a project on IDOT's April 2015 Letting to add right turn lanes for US 12.  Link to plans

Quote from: hobsini2aton Farm Rd and Bruce Rd - Widen to 4 lanes from east of Essington Rd to IL 53. Build a new bridge over the Des Plaines to connect to Bruce Rd. Continue widening on Bruce to Cedar Rd.

It was under study:  Link to study website
They need to have 3 lanes each way there for US12 maybe even some of kind overpass / underpass or even RIRO

I-39

Kane County

1. Widen Randall Road to 6 lanes from the County Line to Oak Street in North Aurora, and 4 lanes from Oak Street to Sullivan Road. Reconstruct interchange with I-90 into a SPUI or DDI (preferably, the former)

2. Realign Bliss Road to intersect with Fabyan Parkway, fix the Bliss Road intersection with IL-47 (add left turn lanes on Bliss) and widen the new Bliss/Fabyan corridor to 4 lanes from Randall Road to IL-47

hobsini2

Quote from: I-39 on May 31, 2015, 03:36:17 PM
Kane County

1. Widen Randall Road to 6 lanes from the County Line to Oak Street in North Aurora, and 4 lanes from Oak Street to Sullivan Road. Reconstruct interchange with I-90 into a SPUI or DDI (preferably, the former)

2. Realign Bliss Road to intersect with Fabyan Parkway, fix the Bliss Road intersection with IL-47 (add left turn lanes on Bliss) and widen the new Bliss/Fabyan corridor to 4 lanes from Randall Road to IL-47

On Randall Rd, the widening I agree with except on the southern end. At Mooseheart Rd, most of the traffic uses Orchard Rd so 6 lanes to Oak St would be overkill. I would also extend the 4 lanes south to Indian Trail Rd because Sullivan is not a major east-west road.

On Bliss Rd/Fayban Pkwy, I like that idea.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

Kane County

Under study, see here and here.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 31, 2015, 10:04:12 PM
Kane County

Under study, see here and here.

Good! But it still doesn't address widening the corridor to 4 lanes and redoing the intersection with IL-47.

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 30, 2015, 02:57:07 PM
Will County:
Renwick Rd and IL 7 9th St  - Widen the bridge over the Des Plaines to 4 lanes from IL 171 State St to IL 53. Continue the 4 lane widening of Renwick Rd to US 30. Since Plainfield has recently redone Renwick Rd thru town making it a good alternate to Lockport St and Downtown, I would not be surprised if Renwick gets more traffic. The road is already quite busy.

The bridge would be IDOT as it's IL-7.

Other Will, Grundy, & Kendall County work:

Houbolt Road Bridge over the Des Plaines River.

Finish widening Caton Farm Road west of County Line Road to Ridge Road.

Improve Brisbin Road north of I-80 to US-52.

Fix the railroad crossing on Walter Strawn Drive near IL-53.

Widen Weber Road to six lanes from Caton Farm Road north to Washington Street/Naper Boulevard.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

From what I've heard, I say if even a few of these get constructed, it will be a miracle.

hobsini2

Brandon, I realize that IDOT would deal with the IL 7 bridge but it makes sense to tie it in to the rest of the Renwick Rd project.

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 02, 2015, 08:08:47 PM
Brandon, I realize that IDOT would deal with the IL 7 bridge but it makes sense to tie it in to the rest of the Renwick Rd project.

The biggest current problem on Renwick is the East Frontage Road intersection.  It's one of the most dangerous in the county.  Fix that, and then worry about everything else on Renwick.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on June 02, 2015, 11:16:42 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 02, 2015, 08:08:47 PM

The biggest current problem on Renwick is the East Frontage Road intersection.  It's one of the most dangerous in the county.  Fix that, and then worry about everything else on Renwick.

The changed that already for traffic between Renwick and US 30. Is the northern part of Frontage Rd still that bad?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.