News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

proposed US 51 expressway from Centralia to Pana

Started by Lyon Wonder, August 31, 2015, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

I found an online map showing the proposed alignment for the US 51 4-lane expressway from Centralia to Pana. Supposedly this is the alignment IDOT has agreed upon to build if funding ever becomes available.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=6667360907734152927a12102069183c&extent=-89.8893,38.5337,-88.1163,39.3688

This expressway starts at the existing 4-lane US 51 south of Centralia and bypasses Centralia to the west.  It bypasses Sandoval to the east and bypasses Vandalia to the west, merging with and sharing a several mile concurrency with I-70 until it meets an upgraded US 51 north of Vandalia that utilizes the exiting interchange at Exit 63.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on August 31, 2015, 07:44:37 PM
I found an online map showing the proposed alignment for the US 51 4-lane expressway from Centralia to Pana. Supposedly this is the alignment IDOT has agreed upon to build if funding ever becomes available.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=6667360907734152927a12102069183c&extent=-89.8893,38.5337,-88.1163,39.3688

This expressway starts at the existing 4-lane US 51 south of Centralia and bypasses Centralia to the west.  It bypasses Sandoval to the east and bypasses Vandalia to the west, merging with and sharing a several mile concurrency with I-70 until it meets an upgraded US 51 north of Vandalia that utilizes the exiting interchange at Exit 63.

Lots of info on this one at www.us51eis.com if you want more details.

mvcg66b3r

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 03, 2015, 08:36:17 AM
Lots of info on this one at www.us51eis.com if you want more details.

Link error

QuoteThis webpage is not available

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

The server at us51eis.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

triplemultiplex

West of Vandalia?  That doesn't seem logical.
Looks much shorter to get to I-70 east of town.  Then one only needs to expand the existing bridges over the Kaskaskia River rather than build new ones at a new crossing.  It would cross just as much floodplain and be less land and dollar intensive while providing the exact same functionality.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

midwesternroadguy

I totally agree.  A Vandalia Bypass to the east seems so logical:  shorter, no concurrency with I-70, if designed right, a shorter river/floodplain crossing, less acquisition.   Does the EIS address this?

Rick Powell

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on September 09, 2015, 02:02:26 PM
I totally agree.  A Vandalia Bypass to the east seems so logical:  shorter, no concurrency with I-70, if designed right, a shorter river/floodplain crossing, less acquisition.   Does the EIS address this?

Yes, they looked at an eastern alternative and found too many issues with it.  The whole area south of Vandalia is a gigantic flood plain and there is no easy route.

US 41

I'm a little surprised that they are going to leave the interchange at US 51 / I-70 a diamond rather than upgrade it to a partial cloverleaf.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Duke87

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 09, 2015, 10:20:04 PM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on September 09, 2015, 02:02:26 PM

Yes, they looked at an eastern alternative and found too many issues with it.  The whole area south of Vandalia is a gigantic flood plain and there is no easy route.

Based on this exhibit from one of the public meetings it appears they considered a bunch of alignments east of town basically right next to the river which of course would have problems. What about something further east?

The initial brainstorming shows a few ideas further east but all of them continue past I-70 and run into river problems north of town. An eastern alignment with an I-70 concurrency appears to not have been considered.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.