A couple old shields in Vincennes, IN

Started by mobilene, September 01, 2010, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilene

I've been spending my spare Saturdays this summer exploring US 50 across Indiana. I love the old alignments and do a fair amount of research to uncover them. US 50 is rich with them, some obvious and some not so obvious.

Anyway, I was in Vincennes on Saturday and found these two old shields. I was really excited to find the Business 50 assembly -- I've never seen one of these live and in person before.

Business US 50 shield by mobilene, on Flickr

Business US 41 shield by mobilene, on Flickr
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

agentsteel53

I've always wondered what is going on with those shields... there was a 6 just like it in Gary until recently.  (It may still be there and I simply missed it.)

I'm quite sure these were black squares at one point (since there is no evidence of the shield outline) but ... what on earth happened to that background?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

Went up US-150 a few weeks ago and alot of old See Rock Mountain signs going south.

mobilene

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 01, 2010, 09:21:28 PM
I'm quite sure these were black squares at one point (since there is no evidence of the shield outline) but ... what on earth happened to that background?

My gut says there has to have been some wicked fading here.  But could it be that these have always been grey on white with black letters?  It would be weird, but maybe there was a brief phase of that in Indiana signage.  I dunno.

agentsteel53

on the 50 you can see some tiny spots (mainly near the upper point and around the lower left) where it is still black.  the 41 is starting to go, too.  too bad my photo of the 6 sucks!

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

You guys need to get out to the Northeast.  Plenty of signs just like that.  No gray was ever used - it's all faded black.

mobilene

Black numbers on a black shield?  Could the gray shield only appear gray next to the faded background?

agentsteel53

Quote from: mobilene on September 08, 2010, 07:07:45 PM
Black numbers on a black shield?  Could the gray shield only appear gray next to the faded background?

yes, and yes.  I have seen plenty of examples where the white layer has fallen off and rendered the entire sign black.  Steve is right, there are a bunch like that in Vermont.  I also know of a US-82 in New Mexico that is like that.

as for the gray shield - yes the white background has turned dark, and the black border has turned light.  there is a US-5 like it in Vermont ... next to a shield that has gone all black.

as for why the number 12 has turned white - that is a *third* type of fading!!

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.