News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

The four times I've been through Breezewood...

1989:  Refueled at Sunoco on the way to Pittsburgh via the Turnpike and Parkway East

1995: Passed through on the way home from State College (it was in the fall on a PSU football bye week).  I'd detoured through Altoona to get my first look at the Horseshoe Curve and 3 or 4 trains rounding it, which is one reason I went through Breezewood.

1999: Passed through on the way to NE OH and the PFHOF and the R&RHOF

July 20, 2014:  Planned to cruise up and down the Breezewood stretch before heading out 30 to Bedford, then up the Barbara Feldon, er, Bud Shuster Highway to Altoona for three days of railfanning.  Unfortunately as I came down the hill on 70 (this was about 3:45 pm) I concluded from the backup that this was a bad idea, so I dove for the left lane and headed west on 30.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

LeftyJR

Quote from: ixnay on August 14, 2014, 10:33:17 PM

1989:  Refueled at Sunoco on the way to Pittsburgh via the Turnpike and Parkway East

1995: Passed through on the way home from State College (it was in the fall on a PSU football bye week).  I'd detoured through Altoona to get my first look at the Horseshoe Curve and 3 or 4 trains rounding it, which is one reason I went through Breezewood

July 20, 2014:  Planned to cruise up and down the Breezewood stretch before heading out 30 to Bedford, then up the Barbara Feldon, er, Bud Shuster Highway to Altoona for three days of railfanning.  Unfortunately as I came down the hill on 70 (this was about 3:45 pm) I concluded from the backup that this was a bad idea, so I dove for the left lane and headed west on 30.

ixnay

If you are headed to Altoona/Bedford/State College, or anywhere along I-99, its always best to take US 30 west from there anyway...

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on August 14, 2014, 05:59:54 PM
It's worth noting that the Thruway was constructed late enough that most interchanges with interstates connected with them from the get-go.

Er?

Not I-390, I-490, I-690, I-481, I-790, I-890, I-787, I-81, I-84, I-88, I-587, I-90/87, I-287 (Suffern)...in fact, the only ones I can think of that might have existed from the get-go are 190 and 290 (and I-287 Elmsford, by whatever number that had at the time).

vdeane

Am I over-relying on Historic Aerials?  Unfortunately I have never managed to find maps (aside from topo maps that don't differentiate between "under construction", "proposed", "was there decades ago", and "what's actually there") from this era so I have to infer based on what's in between the 1951 and 1969 images.  Even if the interstates weren't there yet, with the exceptions of I-390, I-81, I-84, I-481, and I-88, the interchanges were ready and waiting.  It's not like the PTC, where the interstates were built just close enough to not force all-new interchanges but far enough that breezewoods were used instead of just using toll money to tie them in.

Of course, this is also PA, the state that has free interstates only because they saw the FHWA as a cash cow.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ixnay

Quote from: LeftyJR on August 15, 2014, 01:25:20 PM
Quote from: ixnay on August 14, 2014, 10:33:17 PM

1995: Passed through on the way home from State College (it was in the fall on a PSU football bye week).  I'd detoured through Altoona to get my first look at the Horseshoe Curve and 3 or 4 trains rounding it, which is one reason I went through Breezewood

ixnay

If you are headed to Altoona/Bedford/State College, or anywhere along I-99, its always best to take US 30 west from there anyway...

That was my intent all along, partly because of the $2.60 toll for just 16 miles (thanks, paturnpike.com for helping me with my pre-vacation homework).  The jam of transitioners from westbound 70 to the Turnpike forced me, as I said, to drop my Breezewood cruising plans and get immediately on 30 west.  In fact I should've gotten off 70 at exit 149 and taken South Breezewood Road to 30 past the arches.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

signalman

I've only been through Breezewood once, and it was only when I was working on a clinch of I-70.  I did not patronize any of the businesses for numerous reasons.  First, and foremost, I did not need anything when passing through.  I also reasoned that most of the available food and fuel was overpriced.  It also seemed like a real pain in the ass to get into and back out of said businesses because of the traffic.

When I'm traveling, I tend to check gasbuddy for cheaper areas to refuel when possible.  Breezewood did not meet this criteria at the time I traveled through it.  While I'm stopped for gas I will look for food in the immediate area, as I try to minimize my stops and down time.

roadman

Been through Breezewood about half a dozen times over the past fifteen years, usually when I'm traveling from my brother's house in Greensboro to Altoona.  Sometimes I'll get on the Turnpike west to Bedford, other times I'll just take US 30 west.

However, I've never had a need to stop in Breezewood itself for either gas or food.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2014, 07:38:26 PM
Am I over-relying on Historic Aerials?  Unfortunately I have never managed to find maps (aside from topo maps that don't differentiate between "under construction", "proposed", "was there decades ago", and "what's actually there") from this era so I have to infer based on what's in between the 1951 and 1969 images.  Even if the interstates weren't there yet, with the exceptions of I-390, I-81, I-84, I-481, and I-88, the interchanges were ready and waiting.

I-481 and I-88 got new interchanges, but I-390 got the old US 15 interchange, I-81 got US 11's, and I-84 got–well, nothing, until pretty recently. Others, like I-890's and I-790's, always seem to have had future connections in mind, but they did originally connect only to local streets.

But yes, nothing like the way the PA Turnpike's evolved–or didn't.

vdeane

Given the Thruway's later construction than the PA Turnpike, I wouldn't be surprised if the interchanges near the interstates were specifically designed to eventually connect.  Both I-490 interchanges would have needed minimal modification and the original ramps are likely still there as part of I-490's exits.  The US 11 bypass was four lanes divided - the only reason they couldn't re-use the interchange is so that the exit to 7th North St could be fit in.  I-690's was a traffic light anyways.  I think the reverse process might have been used for I-790 (at least, I'm not sure how else to explain the original horrific design, other than "because it's Region TO").  The western I-890 interchange would have connected with NY 5S, which had I-890 placed directly on top of it, so it likely didn't need modification.  The eastern I-890 interchange is probably similar to I-490.  Given that Washington Ave Extension was built in the 50s (and hasn't seen any work since except the interchange with Fuller Rd), I think the original configuration of exit 24 before Free 90 was always supposed to be temporary.  The I-587 interchange, of course, has not been modified except to change the traffic circle to a roundabout.  The western I-287 interchange has always gone straight to the NJ line without at-grades even back when it was NJ 17 rather than I-287.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on August 16, 2014, 06:14:25 PM
Given the Thruway's later construction than the PA Turnpike, I wouldn't be surprised if the interchanges near the interstates were specifically designed to eventually connect.

Not sure that Newburgh was ever designed to connect, given the massive job that was undertaken there to remove the long-standing breezewood between I-87 and I-84.

And the NYSTA did a good job in getting rid of that breezewood.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 16, 2014, 10:17:02 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 16, 2014, 06:14:25 PM
Given the Thruway's later construction than the PA Turnpike, I wouldn't be surprised if the interchanges near the interstates were specifically designed to eventually connect.

Not sure that Newburgh was ever designed to connect, given the massive job that was undertaken there to remove the long-standing breezewood between I-87 and I-84.

And the NYSTA did a good job in getting rid of that breezewood.

It's not like there was much in the way. I'm actually surprised they didn't build a trumpet on I-84 with connections to NY 300. When it was built, there was nothing between the two highways other than a pile of dirt.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

The I-87/I-84 connection is an oddball.  I have no idea why they only recently got a direct connection.

cl94

We should just be glad that NY and PA aren't like the Mass Pike with its freeway interchanges. Exit 4 is a pretty dangerous quadruple trumpet, Exit 10 is...odd, and Exit 15 is just messed up. I won't even talk about Exit 5, as no freeways are involved. I'd take Breezewood, I-99, or the old I-84 connection over any of these, even though all but Exit 5 provide direct connections to the adjacent freeway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

DeaconG

^^^Exit 15-AAAAACCCCKKKK! It makes my eyes bleed!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cl94

Quote from: DeaconG on August 17, 2014, 07:26:47 PM
^^^Exit 15-AAAAACCCCKKKK! It makes my eyes bleed!

Just picture it during rush hour. I've spent more time stuck there...

PurdueBill

Quote from: cl94 on August 17, 2014, 06:19:59 PM
We should just be glad that NY and PA aren't like the Mass Pike with its freeway interchanges. Exit 4 is a pretty dangerous quadruple trumpet, Exit 10 is...odd, and Exit 15 is just messed up. I won't even talk about Exit 5, as no freeways are involved. I'd take Breezewood, I-99, or the old I-84 connection over any of these, even though all but Exit 5 provide direct connections to the adjacent freeway.

To be fair to those interchanges, though, all three started as much simpler designs.  Exit 4 was originally a traditional ticket-tollway double trumpet serving US 5.  Exit 10 served only MA 12 when built, as today's I-290/I-395 didn't exist yet.  Exits 14-15 were at the original eastern end of the Pike; following today's exit 14 eastbound takes you to the original toll plaza for the eastern end.  The Boston Extension added a lot of complexity there.  All three could have been severely modified when the new roads were added, but it was probably a lot easier and less costly to add on as was done.

tomasher

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2014, 09:53:45 PM
Breezewood has a Sheetz. It's the only one of which I am aware that's in close proximity to the turnpike besides Bedford. If I'm hungry and driving the turnpike and I know of a Sheetz, I'll definitely get off and patronize it instead of the fast food at one of the service plazas.

There is a Sheetz very close to the Morgantown interchange as well.

Mr_Northside

With ~137 miles of difference, I don't know that having a Sheetz at the Morgantown interchange would at all affect most people's decisions as to whether to stop at Breezewood or not.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cl94

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 20, 2014, 02:59:07 PM
With ~137 miles of difference, I don't know that having a Sheetz at the Morgantown interchange would at all affect most people's decisions as to whether to stop at Breezewood or not.

No. Not at all. When Sheetz calls, you answer. You don't wait 2 hours until you get to another one.

LeftyJR

Quote from: cl94 on August 20, 2014, 03:16:52 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 20, 2014, 02:59:07 PM

No. Not at all. When Sheetz calls, you answer. You don't wait 2 hours until you get to another one.

I would probably try to stop at Bedford before I would Breezewood - but there is a "mini-Breezewood" there too, of course!

hbelkins

Bedford is definitely closer to the turnpike than Breezewood, so it's an easer on/off.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ARMOURERERIC

I am about to freak out and ask someone here to fedex me some Hellava Good French Onion Dip

SteveG1988

When did they paint the tunnels from the blue/gray to just gray? also, same thing for the overpasses
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Mr_Northside

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 24, 2014, 12:47:18 PM
When did they paint the tunnels from the blue/gray to just gray? also, same thing for the overpasses

It seems different sections get different colors when they paint stuff.  I noticed some purple between Cranberry & Ohio.  Some of the newer monotube sign supports are blue (Irwin/New Stanton), green (Allegheny Valley), etc...
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SteveG1988

To me the tunnels look weird in Corporate Grey. At least add some contrast, the letters in a different color and the vent areas (are they still vents, or did they redesign the air system?) in a nice color. I mean the penna turnpike can make some nice stuff, like their welcome signs which to me look awesome.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.