News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

On Union Deposit Rd, where only Susquehanna is in Clearview.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10219329832037053&set=a.10218247474178783

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

freebrickproductions

Dunno if this exact one's been shared before, but I spotted this sign in Cullman, AL, last month:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Tom958

Crossposted from the Georgia thread:

Yesterday I noticed that the erroneous signage westbound on GA 316 approaching the Sugarloaf Parkway-Harbins Road exit has been corrected. I don't get over that way much-- the corrected signs are on Streetview from June 2023. Basically, the earlier signs tried to illustrate what lane to be in for the ramp split beyond the exit, but screwed up the lane assignments in doing so. Also, in posting about it on Facebook, I discovered that a substantial proportion of people read the earlier legend as "Sugarloaf Harbins/Parkway Road," thereby failing at its intended purpose.

First sign, first try. It indicates that only one lane continues on the mainline.

First sign, second try. It's noncompliant with the MUTCD, but at least it's not flat-out wrong. I find this scheme to be intuitive and hence easy to understand, but there's a substantial proportion of the motoring public whose brains go tilt when they see a vertical separator line directly over an arrow, whether it's a down arrow like this or an up arrow on an APL.

Second sign, first try. The center arrow is a split arrow with the straight side greened out. What a masterpiece. :clap:

Second sign, second try. Now it's a normal APL. It's compliant, but there might be last-second lane changes by people who don't realize until the next overhead that they need to get out of the right lane to get on Sugarloaf. Too bad schemes like this are now considered hopelessly confusing.  :spin:

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 04, 2023, 03:45:12 AM
Dunno if this exact one's been shared before, but I spotted this sign in Cullman, AL, last month:

Cullman County and city just seems to have their own version of the MUTCD.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Somewhat unique clearance sign on the Mill Creek Tunnel on Angeles Forest Highway:

IMG_6175 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 04, 2023, 07:46:48 PM
Somewhat unique clearance sign on the Mill Creek Tunnel on Angeles Forest Highway:

IMG_6175 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
Reminds me of the dual clearance signs on the Brattleboro bridges across the Connecticut:

70 VT-119
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LYD7dtepJ1rxkMvH6
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on September 04, 2023, 08:57:33 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 04, 2023, 03:45:12 AM

Cullman County and city just seems to have their own version of the MUTCD.

GSV link since one was not provided: https://goo.gl/maps/fVivea1u4x4Y4sAt9

I don't see how this wouldn't be included in the MUTCD. It seems to be for traffic that might stop at the point where they see the red light, which is before reaching the stop line. So they put the sign up so traffic pulled up to the stop line.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2023, 05:02:44 PM
7th vs. Fourth
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51322644347

I think I figured it out. The Exit 1 addition probably forced engineers to go with 7th instead of Seventh.   Rather than replace the panel they just shortened the seventh to 7th to fit the exit tab in place.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 04, 2023, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: roadfro on August 04, 2023, 10:15:24 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 03, 2023, 11:31:00 PM
Regarding this No Smoking sign on part of the building at the northbound I-75 rest area just south of Ocala, Florida;

Is this thing MUTCD-compliant? Because it looks like it could be a road sign.

It's not a traffic control device, so it's not MUTCD-compliant. But it does look like someone at the DOT or Public Works sign shop created it, which isn't too uncommon for signs at non-DOT/DPW government buildings...

That's one of my guilty pleasures.  I love non-traffic signs that were obviously made by a DOT.  Of course, as you said, they are usually found at governmental buildings.
You'll love this sign at Joe Austin Park in the Jamaica Hills section of Queens:

It looks like a somewhat MUTCD-compliant Road Closed series sign.

Amaury

I noticed a sign down due to the recent Gray Fire in Spokane County, Washington–the last, and I believe final, update had it at 93% containment–so I looked at Google Maps to see what sign it was, and it was this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/RnkJ9ouwiNxvstxi8 First time I've seen a sign like this. Mom said it refers to, for example, semi drivers parking on entrance ramps to sleep, which is common in Kittitas, Washington (I-90 Exit 115), though there's no sign of that nature there.

The sign is at the I-90 and SR 902 interchange at SR 902's western terminus (I-90 Exit 264) in Washington. Specifically, it's on the eastbound I-90 entrance ramp.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

GaryA

It's become fairly common in California for temporary construction signs to use an upside-down Interstate shield outline for a California spade outline.

But this is the first time I've seen it on a permanent green sign.  Note that neither highway actually reaches this point, they might both be marked with "TO" added to be more strictly correct - but this is a local sign, not Caltrans.

https://goo.gl/maps/N8pSzKcHCB1wSed46

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: GaryA on September 07, 2023, 03:23:08 PM
It's become fairly common in California for temporary construction signs to use an upside-down Interstate shield outline for a California spade outline.

But this is the first time I've seen it on a permanent green sign.  Note that neither highway actually reaches this point, they might both be marked with "TO" added to be more strictly correct - but this is a local sign, not Caltrans.

https://goo.gl/maps/N8pSzKcHCB1wSed46

District 8 says to hold its beer.

https://goo.gl/maps/sRZNgHXWXYvP1kHo6

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of Caltrans spec construction signs, there are several for sale on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=javau-788&_pgn=1&isRefine=true&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l49496

Not quite as nice as the previous generation Pumpkin Spice Spades:

https://flic.kr/p/VCa3Wo

freebrickproductions

This is an unusual variant. Spotted this on Jordan Road in Ryland, AL, earlier this month.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 09, 2023, 02:51:33 AM
This is an unusual variant. Spotted this on Jordan Road in Ryland, AL, earlier this month.

Never seen one, but this type of sign makes a lot of sense.  However, it looks like the sign is completely inverted.  Not only should the arrow be a right-then-left S-curve (instead of left-then-right), but the displayed tracks ended up at the wrong angle as well.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 09, 2023, 12:57:07 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 09, 2023, 02:51:33 AM

Never seen one, but this type of sign makes a lot of sense.  However, it looks like the sign is completely inverted.  Not only should the arrow be a right-then-left S-curve (instead of left-then-right), but the displayed tracks ended up at the wrong angle as well.

Just north of the crossing is a reverse curve that I believe the sign was placed to warn for, but that doesn't go across the tracks either.

(They/Them)

Tom958

Four lines of text plus (rather undersized) shields and cardinal directions is a bit much, IMO.

formulanone

Quote from: Tom958 on September 10, 2023, 09:09:20 AM
Four lines of text plus (rather undersized) shields and cardinal directions is a bit much, IMO.

Pea-Dun Road, anyone?

...also isn't one effectively in Atlanta by the point?

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Tom958

Quote from: formulanone on September 10, 2023, 09:32:10 AMPea-Dun Road, anyone?

Uh, no.  :-D

Quote from: formulanone...also isn't one effectively in Atlanta by the point?

Yes, but AFAIK central cities are pretty well always posted as destinations for radial freeways where they're intersected by beltways.

That said, per the original signage plan, the control cities were omitted, being placed on supplemental signage instead. The authorities thought this out, then changed their thinking.

I'd be in favor of doing away with the dead space between the text and the arrows. And, in a better world, GDOT would move US 19 onto GA 400 inside 285 and thereby remove the need for cardinal directions here. I can dream, can't I?

Hunty2022

Quote from: Tom958 on September 10, 2023, 09:09:20 AM

I have never seen an exit sign with NORTH/SOUTH for the route, is this normal anywhere?
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Tom958

Quote from: Hunty2022 on September 10, 2023, 10:36:03 AM
I have never seen an exit sign with NORTH/SOUTH for the route, is this normal anywhere?

No. It's because US 19 is concurrent with GA 400 outside 285 but not inside. Instead, it jumps back to the legacy road to avoid a tollbooth that was removed years ago. In theory, cardinal directions shouldn't be required for 400, but apparently some people assumed that the NORTH pertained to both 19 and 400, so they did this as a kludge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.