AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-66 HO/T Lanes  (Read 96489 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 07:33:18 AM
Re: I-66 HO/T Lanes
« Reply #500 on: June 15, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »

I just liked the overhead view of the ramps taking shape:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

« Reply #501 on: June 15, 2021, 06:45:56 PM »

Seen on the 6:00 news just now. The Beltway towards Tysons runs north at the top center of the image.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 04:45:00 AM
« Reply #502 on: August 02, 2021, 12:49:04 PM »

WTOP Radio: Transform 66 project on schedule for 2022 completion

Driving either direction on Interstate 66 west of Interstate 495, it’s impossible to miss the work on the 22.5-mile stretch of highway. But managers of the $3.7 billion Transform 66 project say work has never been moving faster.

Currently, about $60 million of work is being done every month and nearly 2,000 workers are on the job every day according to Susan Shaw, the Virginia Department of Transportation’s regional transportation program director for Northern Virginia. “So there’s a lot happening,” she said.

Along most of the corridor, the focus is completing work toward the outside of the highway, so that traffic can then be diverted there while the toll lanes on the inside are being completed. That level of work is expected to continue through the fall, depending on the weather.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

• Last Login: October 14, 2021, 09:43:50 AM
« Reply #503 on: August 22, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »

So it seems that at the Rt 29/I-66 interchange, the RT 29 underpass will be widened in width so as to have the space to allow a 3rd southbound auxiliary lane.  However, such a project is not part of the I-66 HOT and would be undertaken by either FCDOT or VDOT.

Are there any immediate plans by FCDOT or VDOT to have a 3rd SB RT 29 lane to prevent the massive bottleneck which occurs, as 29 goes quickly from 4 to 2 lanes before adding a short I-66 W exit lane?
I can't understand why FCDOT or VDOT would not prioritize and coordinate this to coincide with the completion of I-66.  It is not like it is a long expensive project.   

bluecountry

« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2021, 08:21:31 AM »

Been meaning to ask this for awhile, why is it this I-66 project has 'delivery' signs with weird code names 'Romeo' all over the corridor?
I have never seen a highway project with this kind of outward display, it seems unnecessary and needlessly micromanaging.
Didn't recall the NJTP 30 miles expansion having to make it this complicated.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 02:03:47 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #505 on: October 01, 2021, 08:50:42 AM »

Been meaning to ask this for awhile, why is it this I-66 project has 'delivery' signs with weird code names 'Romeo' all over the corridor?
I have never seen a highway project with this kind of outward display, it seems unnecessary and needlessly micromanaging.

All those code-named turnoffs are for construction traffic, not for ordinary travelers.

Some of them have "Area __" numerical codes. The number sequence came tantalizingly close to reaching "Area 51", but alas the turnoffs switched to alphabetical codes at that point.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

« Reply #506 on: October 01, 2021, 09:45:04 AM »

The "code names" I noticed on those signs aren't really weird if you're familiar with the NATO alphabet, as they all track that alphabet. Good chance that scheme was selecting for reasons of clarity when communicating over the telephone or radio.

I use the NATO alphabet when I need to spell a word and it's amusing how many people seem unwilling to accept anything other than "T as in Tom" or "B as in Boy." My street's name starts with a "T" and if I spell it and then say "T, Tango" (this because some people have misheard it as a "P" over the years), some people (especially women, it seems) will try to "correct" me—"You mean 'T' as in 'Tom,' right?"

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: October 24, 2021, 08:14:48 PM
« Reply #507 on: October 02, 2021, 07:34:31 PM »

Not directly linked to I-66 HOT lanes, Google Streetview had updated some Streetview of the VA-28 interchange showing the ramp going to Braddock Road and Walney road.
https://goo.gl/maps/v6mH6KdVnXCywxPU7

mrsman

• Last Login: October 24, 2021, 10:56:44 PM
« Reply #508 on: October 03, 2021, 12:40:50 PM »

The "code names" I noticed on those signs aren't really weird if you're familiar with the NATO alphabet, as they all track that alphabet. Good chance that scheme was selecting for reasons of clarity when communicating over the telephone or radio.

I use the NATO alphabet when I need to spell a word and it's amusing how many people seem unwilling to accept anything other than "T as in Tom" or "B as in Boy." My street's name starts with a "T" and if I spell it and then say "T, Tango" (this because some people have misheard it as a "P" over the years), some people (especially women, it seems) will try to "correct" me—"You mean 'T' as in 'Tom,' right?"

NATO is definitely the standard for military folks, but many police departments still follow the APCO standard.  The APCO standard seems easier for civilians (non-military and non-police) , since the words used are far more common, at least for native English speakers.

The table here compares the two:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APCO_radiotelephony_spelling_alphabet

In my early days of working, I would sometimes need to point someone to a website document by phone.  I often used Paul-David-Frank to refer to pdf.  (Nowadays, pdf usage is so common that it is no longer necessary to spell it out.)

FWIW, Tom and Boy are also on the old APCO lists.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: October 24, 2021, 06:17:44 PM
« Reply #509 on: October 03, 2021, 07:51:02 PM »

Many military and civilian DOD residents in the DC area....

1995hoo

« Reply #510 on: October 04, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »

Many military and civilian DOD residents in the DC area....

I'm neither, but I picked up the NATO alphabet a long time ago. My father served in the Army, though he was discharged when I was two years old so I don't remember those days too well other than only the absolute vaguest of memories of occasional trips to the old commissary at Cameron Station with my mother.

bluecountry

« Reply #511 on: October 06, 2021, 03:28:34 PM »

But why is this on 66 and not other roads, this is the only time I ever have seen it.

1995hoo

« Reply #512 on: October 06, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »

Maybe the length of the work zone (20 miles)? I don't know, that's just a guess, but it would make sense that they'd want some way to identify specific locations, and mileposts are likely not a good option in a reconstruction project of this one's extent.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 07:44:21 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #513 on: October 07, 2021, 06:45:42 AM »

Maybe the length of the work zone (20 miles)? I don't know, that's just a guess, but it would make sense that they'd want some way to identify specific locations, and mileposts are likely not a good option in a reconstruction project of this one's extent.

There have definitely been other Virginia projects where construction entrances were letters (though not full code names).

2011 GMSV captured it on I-81 truck lane project north of Lexington
https://goo.gl/maps/Z6cwakVwW3CTakc98

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.