News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on March 01, 2021, 05:17:23 PM
I used to drive a lot between St Louis and Green Bay. It's not technically a shunpike, but I used to avoid the worst of the Tri-State by using Palatine Road, IL 53, I-290, and I-355 (the one toll road). It seemed faster most of the time, especially the years when they were rebuilding the Tri-State around O'Hare. I'd usually use I-39 with I-43 or US 151 to bypass the entire Chicago area, but sometimes I'd want to stop at the outlets west of Kenosha or one of the Chicago Ikea stores.

I would guess that if you were driving that route now, that I-55, I-39, I-90, WI-26, US-151 and I-41 would be just as fast as Chicago.  And you would only be paying a toll for the short section of I-90 in IL.

I-39

I used to drive a lot between St Louis and Green Bay. It's not technically a shunpike, but I used to avoid the worst of the Tri-State by using Palatine Road, IL 53, I-290, and I-355 (the one toll road). It seemed faster most of the time, especially the years when they were rebuilding the Tri-State around O'Hare. I'd usually use I-39 with I-43 or US 151 to bypass the entire Chicago area, but sometimes I'd want to stop at the outlets west of Kenosha or one of the Chicago Ikea stores.

I was going to say, going through Chicago doesn't make much sense on that route.

KMOX4

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2021, 03:33:41 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 01, 2021, 03:27:55 PM
To get to the west suburbs, you can use IL-38 or IL-64.

Saint Charles Road or Butterfield Road too, depending on your destination.  But I wouldn't recommend any of them for getting all the way from the Cook/DuPage county line out into farmland.

I've done IL-38 once from DeKalb to the I-294 JCT, once during the middle of a weekday and on a Saturday, both pre-Covid. Took me maybe 10-15 minutes extra than I-88. Maybe I was lucky with the lights but it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would be
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on March 02, 2021, 09:19:39 AM
I've done IL-38 once from DeKalb to the I-294 JCT, once during the middle of a weekday and on a Saturday, both pre-Covid. Took me maybe 10-15 minutes extra than I-88. Maybe I was lucky with the lights but it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would be

I used to live on Roosevelt Road in Wheaton.  A couple of years and three apartments later, I lived one block from Roosevelt Road in Wheaton.  Once a week for a while, I took Pace bus from Roosevelt/Blanchard Road to the Forest Park blue line station (and then transferred to another bus).  So let me tell you:

Yes, you must have been lucky.

On the other hand...

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2016, 03:33:47 PM
I once had to go from DuPage County to Harlem & Augusta for a concert I was performing in.  It was Friday afternoon/evening.  Coming up Naperville Road from the south, I got onto I-88.  Approaching the end of the on-ramp, I was greeted by a wide sea of brake lights:  welcome to the Friday afternoon crowd heading into the city for weekend fun.  Well, folks, I couldn't afford to sit in traffic all day, as I had a performance to participate in.  So I popped my car into reverse, backed all the way down the shoulder of the on-ramp to Naperville Road, and took local streets:  Naperville Road, Butterfield Road, Route 53, Saint Charles Road, 5th Avenue Maywood, Lake Street, 1st Avenue, Chicago Avenue, Thatcher Avenue, Augusta Street.  Got there much faster than if I had stuck with I-88.

If you know the right side roads to take, you can actually make decent time by avoiding highways.  I learned how to get to O'Hare without delay during rush hour, for example.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

I once had all day to drive from Chicago to Des Moines, and I took IL-38 from its eastern end through DeKalb to wherever it made sense to cut down to US-30 near Sterling.  After you get out of the Chicago mess, it was actually a nice little drive. 

edwaleni

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 10:10:41 AM

I used to live on Roosevelt Road in Wheaton.  A couple of years and three apartments later, I lived one block from Roosevelt Road in Wheaton.  Once a week for a while, I took Pace bus from Roosevelt/Blanchard Road to the Forest Park blue line station (and then transferred to another bus).  So let me tell you:

On the other hand...

I once had to go from DuPage County to Harlem & Augusta for a concert I was performing in.  It was Friday afternoon/evening.  Coming up Naperville Road from the south, I got onto I-88.  Approaching the end of the on-ramp, I was greeted by a wide sea of brake lights:  welcome to the Friday afternoon crowd heading into the city for weekend fun.  Well, folks, I couldn't afford to sit in traffic all day, as I had a performance to participate in.  So I popped my car into reverse, backed all the way down the shoulder of the on-ramp to Naperville Road, and took local streets:  Naperville Road, Butterfield Road, Route 53, Saint Charles Road, 5th Avenue Maywood, Lake Street, 1st Avenue, Chicago Avenue, Thatcher Avenue, Augusta Street.  Got there much faster than if I had stuck with I-88.

If you know the right side roads to take, you can actually make decent time by avoiding highways.  I learned how to get to O'Hare without delay during rush hour, for example.

Yes, I have taken Roosevelt all the way to Mannheim at times to miss the Strangler.

My relatives used toll bypass all the time. They used US-30 to avoid I-88. IL-59/IL-53 to avoid I-355 coming from the south, and use IL-59 or IL-83 going to Wisconsin.

I used to cut across from Morocco, Indiana, then to Manteno and then over to Peotone, not so much to avoid the tolls, just the craziness of traffic.

My father used IL-47 to avoid I-90 to Wisconsin.

KMOX4

Dont forget Il-64 can be used too along with IL-53

ilpt4u

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 02, 2021, 12:36:17 PM
I once had all day to drive from Chicago to Des Moines, and I took IL-38 from its eastern end through DeKalb to wherever it made sense to cut down to US-30 near Sterling.  After you get out of the Chicago mess, it was actually a nice little drive.
IL 38 used to be US 30A/Alternate US 30

That is why it is named "Thirty-Eight"  – sounds a like like "Thirty-Eigh" /"Thirty-A"

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 10:10:41 AM

On the other hand...

Bus travel is also always longer unless it was a shuttle or express bus on that route. Plus Forest Park is easily another 15-20 minutes east of the IL-38/294 JCT. I need to do another drive on that route lol

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

This is changing the subject, but has anyone else noticed, with the latest Tollway site updates that they suddenly are lacking any viable update information on the I-490 Tollway projects? For instance, the interchange at I-90/I-490 seems to be virtually at a standstill (webcam is still up, though). The latest "update" just directs you to check the daily news feed. I thought that there was supposed to be work on some of the ramps, for instance? Anyone have any insight into what is going on, or if there might be a sudden holdup that we're not being told about?

EDIT: I also asked a similar question on the I-490 thread, so if I need to remove this and move to there, just let me know!

ET21

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 03, 2021, 11:09:26 AM
This is changing the subject, but has anyone else noticed, with the latest Tollway site updates that they suddenly are lacking any viable update information on the I-490 Tollway projects? For instance, the interchange at I-90/I-490 seems to be virtually at a standstill (webcam is still up, though). The latest "update" just directs you to check the daily news feed. I thought that there was supposed to be work on some of the ramps, for instance? Anyone have any insight into what is going on, or if there might be a sudden holdup that we're not being told about?

EDIT: I also asked a similar question on the I-490 thread, so if I need to remove this and move to there, just let me know!

They've been doing a lot of the ground work behind the interchange on the north side. I could see some of the action when I would drive down Mount Prospect road. I think this spring/summer they are going to start building the remaining ramps and begin to build the interstate southward, pending what Cook Co. does with Touhy Ave, the southern end of Mount Prospect road, and the train tracks

Clinched:

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 01, 2021, 08:00:11 PM

I would guess that if you were driving that route now, that I-55, I-39, I-90, WI-26, US-151 and I-41 would be just as fast as Chicago.  And you would only be paying a toll for the short section of I-90 in IL.
Yes, the last time I drove back to GB before I moved to California I used WI 26 (and the CTH A cut to US 151 around Beaver Dam). It's a very nice drive though the Kettle Moraine region except for the sections right around the interstates. If I still lived in the Midwest, I'd be using that or I-43 from Beloit every time to GB depending on traffic and construction to avoid the Chicago metro.

ET21

The next big shift for I-294, the 95th to 75th street section

"As work resumes for the 2021 construction season, daily shoulder closures and overnight lane closures will be scheduled as needed between 95th Street and LaGrange Road for installation of temporary lighting along the roadway and protective shielding under 87th Street and Roberts Road bridges, as well as pavement patching and rumble strip removal.

Once this advance work is complete, traffic shifts will be put in place on I-294 between the 82nd Street Toll Plaza and 95th Street. On southbound I-294, four lanes of traffic will remain open and shifted to the right. On northbound I-294, four lanes of traffic will be shifted to the left, with two northbound lanes traveling in a counterflow lane on the southbound side of I-294.

Between LaGrange Road and the 82nd Street Toll Plaza, traffic in both directions will be shifted to the outside shoulders in both directions to accommodate construction work.

Additional traffic shifts will be scheduled later this spring, including in both directions on I-294 between the Mile Long Bridge and I-55, as well as on the ramps connecting I-55 to northbound I-294 and southbound I-294 to I-55. Additional traffic shifts, lane reductions and ramp detours will be scheduled needed to complete work between I-55 and 95th Street.

The traffic shifts and counterflow lane are scheduled to remain in this configuration through the end of 2021 as work begins to reconstruct and widen I-294 between I-55 and 95th Street.

Work in this southern section of the Central Tri-State Project between I-55 and 95th Street includes rebuilding and widening the roadway to five lanes in both directions, including construction of new I-294 bridges over I-55, Flagg Creek, 87th Street and Roberts Road, as well as reconstructing shoulders including adding Flex Lanes and is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2023."

Clinched:

ET21

Some interesting updates:

I-294/I-57
"Traffic shifts on the Tri-State Tollway (I-294) and I-57 are scheduled to begin next week as work resumes on the I-294/I-57 Interchange Project. Work is continuing to construct the new interchange ramps that will connect northbound I-294 to northbound I-57 and southbound I-57 to northbound I-294, as well roadway widening on I-294 and I-57.

Work in 2021 includes completion of roadway widening on I-57, widening of the I-57 bridge over Dixie Highway, replacing the 147th Street Bridge, as well as continued construction of the ramp connecting northbound I-294 to northbound I-57 and the two ramps carrying southbound I-57 to I-294, including a flyover ramp bridge. Work to widen the CSX Railroad Bridge on I-57 is also scheduled to begin this year.

Beginning the week of March 22, traffic on southbound I-294 will be reduced from four to three lanes to provide a work zone to construct the new auxiliary lane from southbound I-57 onto southbound I-294. Work will also continue to build retaining walls and reconstruct mainline bridges. Traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration through summer.

In addition, on I-57, traffic shifts will be scheduled in both directions between Kedzie Avenue and 147th Street as well as between 147th Street and Thornton Road. These closures and shifts are needed for ramp pier work located in the median of I-57 and for work to widen the bridges over 149th Street and Dixie Highway, as well as on collector-distributors roads and retaining walls. After the shifts are put in place, traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration into summer."

I-294/I-290/St. Charles Road
"In 2021 and 2022, the Illinois Tollway will be reconstructing the St. Charles Road Interchange at I-290. This work includes removing and replacing the St. Charles Road Bridge over I-294 and repairing and replacing the bridge deck on the bridge over I-290. In addition, the four interchange ramps on the east side of I-290 will be reconstructed and a portion of westbound I-290 will be widened. Additional work includes retaining wall construction, drainage improvements and roadway lighting improvements

Ramp closures will be needed during construction, and additional traffic shifts and lane closures will be scheduled on ramps, St. Charles Road, I-294 and I-290 to complete the work. Electronic message signs and construction signage will be put in place in advance to alert drivers to changes in traffic patterns and detours throughout construction. All work is weather dependent and up-to-date information regarding lane closures will be available in the Illinois Tollway's Daily Construction Alerts.

Work has started with daily lane closures on St. Charles Road to prepare for a traffic shift and start of bridge work. Over the next two weeks, lane closures will be scheduled between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. reducing St. Charles Road to one lane in both directions between Taft Avenue and Poplar Avenue. On I-290, full closures will be needed to prepare for work on the St. Charles Road Bridge. On I-294, traffic is currently shifted in both directions between Electric Avenue and St. Charles Road.

Once advance work is complete, St. Charles Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction and shifted to the eastbound lanes over I-294 and I-290 to accommodate bridge removal and reconstruction. Work on the bridges over I-294 and I-290 will be conducted one half at a time, to provide a work zone and safety accommodate St. Charles Road traffic. Traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration through September when all traffic will be shifted to the westbound lanes.

In addition, in 2021, work will include reconstruction of the two ramps connecting westbound St. Charles Road to westbound I-290. In order to accommodate this work, the ramps are scheduled to be closed to traffic with posted detours. The ramp closures are anticipated to begin in early April and will remain closed through 2021.

Westbound St. Charles Road traffic traveling to westbound I-290 will be routed through the other open ramps at the interchange and onto I-290. Westbound I-290 traffic exit to westbound St. Charles Road, traffic will be directed to continue north the North Avenue Interchange and back onto eastbound I-290 to reach westbound St. Charles Road."

Clinched:

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ET21 on March 23, 2021, 03:49:01 PM

It's so weird seeing my hometown streets mentioned like this. I know exactly where those streets are and how they affect the construction. Anyway, it's a bit strange that the Saint Charles Road bridge over 294 is being rebuilt, given that it had previously been rebuilt not too long ago, about 18 years I think, during the last round of construction on 294.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

I-39

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 23, 2021, 10:26:05 PM

It's so weird seeing my hometown streets mentioned like this. I know exactly where those streets are and how they affect the construction. Anyway, it's a bit strange that the Saint Charles Road bridge over 294 is being rebuilt, given that it had previously been rebuilt not too long ago, about 18 years I think, during the last round of construction on 294.

It's been almost 30 years since the central tri-state was last widened.

They should just convert the interchange to a four legged and get rid of the loop ramps to gain more ROW for I-294

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: I-39 on March 24, 2021, 08:57:58 PM

Well, I'll be. It was rebuilt in 1992. I could have sworn it was 2003, but BridgeReports wouldn't lie.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 24, 2021, 09:19:03 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 24, 2021, 08:57:58 PM

Well, I'll be. It was rebuilt in 1992. I could have sworn it was 2003, but BridgeReports wouldn't lie.

I lived in Oak Park and worked in Westchester in 2003 and that area was definitely not under construction then.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hobsini2

This weekend, a detour for Joliet Road has been posted and will be in place for a while for the 294 widening project.  Joliet Road will be closed from I-55 to Wolf Rd with La Grange Rd being used for the detour.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

Driving the Tri-State today, it looks like they're ripping out the mainline cash booths on 82nd and 83rd street plazas.  These are within the area of the current construction project.  Also from what I see they have shut off the self-serve cash systems on I-90.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CtrlAltDel

I am currently dogsitting in my old home town, near the infamous loop ramp from I-294 to I-290. They are pounding I-beams or something similar into the ground. The noise is most impressive if also most annoying.

ETA: Also amazing to me is how the cars and trucks never stop. There is someone coming down that ramp at every minute of every day one after another, unceasingly.

Crash_It

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 15, 2021, 02:44:30 PM
I am currently dogsitting in my old home town, near the infamous loop ramp from I-294 to I-290. They are pounding I-beams or something similar into the ground. The noise is most impressive if also most annoying.

ETA: Also amazing to me is how the cars and trucks never stop. There is someone coming down that ramp at every minute of every day one after another, unceasingly.

Would you rather they not work on them?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Crash_It on July 16, 2021, 11:40:25 AM

No. I'm not someone who thinks that every element of a project must be pleasant in order to support it or to find it worthwhile.

Rick Powell

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 16, 2021, 03:19:35 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 16, 2021, 11:40:25 AM

No. I'm not someone who thinks that every element of a project must be pleasant in order to support it or to find it worthwhile.

These must be the pilings for new bridges, abutments, and/or retaining walls. They are usually driven by a rig with a drop hammer that makes the noise on contact with the piling. When the piling is to a point where there is little to no movement with each drop, within a recommended specification, it is considered to be stabilized and the crew moves on to the next location. There are other methods that accomplish the task with less noise such as vibratory placement or drilled shaft foundations, but they are more expensive and not always suited for the underground conditions.

The nice thing about H-piles is that it is possible to add on to their length if needed during driving, and they are easy to cut off if there is any excess length on top after the pile is driven.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.