News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Newberg-Dundee Bypass

Started by Bickendan, July 02, 2017, 05:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

With the goal of opening the first phase of the Bypass later this year, I'd thought it'd be interesting to speculate what the highway and route designation the Oregon Transportation Commission will decide.

The final design of the full bypass can be found here: http://www.jlainvolve.com/public/NewbergDundee/NDBypassFULL_reduced.pdf

Phase one (currently in wrap up, I'd imagine): http://oregonjta.org/region2/files/highway99w/maps/map_phase1_june2013_reduced.pdf
It appears to use mileposts for ORH 39/OR 18, so I believe it's safe to say that that it'll be an extension of ORH 39. The better question will be will OR 18 be extended, or will OR 99W be pulled off of ORH 1W and onto ORH 39, leaving ORH 1W between the two ends of the bypass to get Bus OR 99W or become a candidate for turnback to local control?

nexus73

What amazes me is that given the traffic on 99W and the proximity to PDX, that the gaps were never filled in by the Sixties with a 4-lane expressway at least.  My friend and I went through the area in June.  There's still some good signs of early postwar expressway design present.  Today we plow right through the land whereas in the day the contours of the land were followed. 

Nice to see some interchanges are planned.  That route needs all the help it can get!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Bickendan on July 02, 2017, 05:00:53 AMI'd thought it'd be interesting to speculate what the highway and route designation the Oregon Transportation Commission will decide.

It seems that Oregon 18 will be the designation, but I like the precedent set by Montana with the Kalispell bypass of designating the bypass route "Alternate U.S. 93".  Seems that it would make sense to call the bypass "Alternate Oregon 99W", except that ODOT currently does not use the "Alternate" banner.  Likewise, it could designate existing 99W as "Business 99W" and move 99W onto the bypass, or "Bypass 99W" for the bypass.  (currently there is one "Bypass" bannered route in the state.)

sparker

Quote from: sp_redelectric on July 24, 2017, 02:51:10 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on July 02, 2017, 05:00:53 AMI'd thought it'd be interesting to speculate what the highway and route designation the Oregon Transportation Commission will decide.

It seems that Oregon 18 will be the designation, but I like the precedent set by Montana with the Kalispell bypass of designating the bypass route "Alternate U.S. 93".  Seems that it would make sense to call the bypass "Alternate Oregon 99W", except that ODOT currently does not use the "Alternate" banner.  Likewise, it could designate existing 99W as "Business 99W" and move 99W onto the bypass, or "Bypass 99W" for the bypass.  (currently there is one "Bypass" bannered route in the state.)

If the eventual goal is (still) to connect this bypass to I-5 at or in the vicinity of the I-205 interchange (the basic concept when I was living up there in the '90's), then the OR 18 designation is indeed appropriate.  This leaves 99W to the existing diagonal route NE through Sherwood and Tigard where it would continue to serve those cities.  OR 18 would then be the default "through" route to the coast from I-5 (and, of course, I-205).  I, for one, would like to ascertain whether those plans are still in play or whether they have been shelved for the time being -- if any NW posters have more information regarding this, please post accordingly -- thanks!

Bickendan

I'll have to look into the Tualatin-Sherwood plans that were being kicked around a few years ago. I think the more modest proposals were favored by the communities.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2017, 01:30:43 AM
If the eventual goal is (still) to connect this bypass to I-5 at or in the vicinity of the I-205 interchange (the basic concept when I was living up there in the '90's), then the OR 18 designation is indeed appropriate.

I think that proposal is deader than a door nail - see S.W. 124th Avenue.

A connection between Highway 99W and the under-construction 124th at Tonquin would require building through a National Wildlife Refuge, crossing into Clackamas County for two miles, and leaving the urban growth boundary.  So you'd line up all sorts of opposition from 1000 Friends, Clackamas County (what's in it for them?), Metro, presumably the City of Sherwood...

IMO it would have made more sense to extend Highway 18 from McDougall's Corner, along Riverwood Road, across the Willamette River, straight exactly 2 miles to Highway 219, and then realign the 219/McKay Road intersection...that way 18 would have a less than one mile concurrency with 99W (or a paralleling route), continue in an eastward direction to I-5, completely bypass Dundee, Newberg, Sherwood, Tualatin and Tigard altogether, provide for another Willamette River crossing, potentially allow ODOT to decommission 219 south of 18 (from St. Paul to Woodburn) and revert that portion of 219 to Marion County...  But thanks to Yamhill County's insistence on the damned Newberg-Dundee bypass we're going to spend a lot more money for a half-assed part of a project that who knows will ever be finished in our lifetimes.

Bickendan

Along those lines, Donald area people seem to be favorable to such a routing. That could be a viable toll road, imo.

sparker

Quote from: sp_redelectric on July 25, 2017, 09:23:02 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2017, 01:30:43 AM
If the eventual goal is (still) to connect this bypass to I-5 at or in the vicinity of the I-205 interchange (the basic concept when I was living up there in the '90's), then the OR 18 designation is indeed appropriate.

I think that proposal is deader than a door nail - see S.W. 124th Avenue.

A connection between Highway 99W and the under-construction 124th at Tonquin would require building through a National Wildlife Refuge, crossing into Clackamas County for two miles, and leaving the urban growth boundary.  So you'd line up all sorts of opposition from 1000 Friends, Clackamas County (what's in it for them?), Metro, presumably the City of Sherwood...

IMO it would have made more sense to extend Highway 18 from McDougall's Corner, along Riverwood Road, across the Willamette River, straight exactly 2 miles to Highway 219, and then realign the 219/McKay Road intersection...that way 18 would have a less than one mile concurrency with 99W (or a paralleling route), continue in an eastward direction to I-5, completely bypass Dundee, Newberg, Sherwood, Tualatin and Tigard altogether, provide for another Willamette River crossing, potentially allow ODOT to decommission 219 south of 18 (from St. Paul to Woodburn) and revert that portion of 219 to Marion County...  But thanks to Yamhill County's insistence on the damned Newberg-Dundee bypass we're going to spend a lot more money for a half-assed part of a project that who knows will ever be finished in our lifetimes.
Quote from: Bickendan on July 25, 2017, 10:07:55 PM
Along those lines, Donald area people seem to be favorable to such a routing. That could be a viable toll road, imo.

It would seem that the expense of a multilane Willamette crossing would pose a major problem for any "direct-to-I-5" proposal intersecting that route south of the Wilsonville bridge -- although such a routing would keep the connector out of the regional Portland metro zone (they would most likely give a quick "thumbs down" to such a concept -- or at least keep it bottled up in "study limbo" for years to come). 

It would be enlightening to know how Sherwood and Tigard are responding to the new facility to their southwest; AFAIK, there are no plans afoot for anything similar in those jurisdictions.  99W was certainly a slog through that area when I was living there 20+ years ago; I can only imagine the congestion level today.  But given Metro's general disdain for anything that might be construed as a road capacity increase -- even on an artery that's performing "double duty" as a local server as well as a part of an interregional connector -- relief may not be on the horizon.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2017, 02:55:51 AM
It would seem that the expense of a multilane Willamette crossing would pose a major problem for any "direct-to-I-5" proposal intersecting that route south of the Wilsonville bridge -- although such a routing would keep the connector out of the regional Portland metro zone (they would most likely give a quick "thumbs down" to such a concept -- or at least keep it bottled up in "study limbo" for years to come). 

It would be enlightening to know how Sherwood and Tigard are responding to the new facility to their southwest; AFAIK, there are no plans afoot for anything similar in those jurisdictions.  99W was certainly a slog through that area when I was living there 20+ years ago; I can only imagine the congestion level today.  But given Metro's general disdain for anything that might be construed as a road capacity increase -- even on an artery that's performing "double duty" as a local server as well as a part of an interregional connector -- relief may not be on the horizon.

You're absolutely right on the Willamette bridge cost. Salem hasn't figured out how to get $350m to build a new, supplemental bridge across the river. The Boone Bridge at Wilsonville is at capacity and will eventually need a retrofit or replacement. And Oregon land use law doesn't smile upon freeway construction across farmland.

As for directly connecting the Newberg bypass to I-5... I don't think Metro would quash it, per se, but would instead ask everyone to look at the connection in the context of what $ is available and whether that's the best use of it. Such discussions generally end with "Well, do we *really* need a freeway, or could we live with an expressway a la Brookwood in Hillsboro?" Sometimes the answer is, "Yes, we really need a freeway," as it was with the first phase of the Sunrise Corridor.

The problem with the last round was that Wilsonville, Sherwood and Tualatin couldn't agree on where to put the bypass — but vehemently agreed on where *not* to put the bypass. That's a surefire way to get to the back of the line for transportation funding in Oregon. No consensus, no project.

Bickendan

You're not wrong... although Sherwood, Tualatin, and Wilsonville agreeing where NOT to put a bypass is incredibly amusing.

sparker

Quote from: Bickendan on August 08, 2017, 12:04:19 PM
You're not wrong... although Sherwood, Tualatin, and Wilsonville agreeing where NOT to put a bypass is incredibly amusing.

Yeah -- coordinated NIMBYism would have to be one of those things that you just have to shake your head about and walk away (at least until any furor dissipates).  I would have loved to be a "fly on the wall" at the meeting -- or series of such -- where the routing(s) to be avoided were laid out!

sp_redelectric

Hence, my suggestion to build such a route much further south.  Keep it out of Washington County (and Metro) so they don't get much of a say in the matter.

sparker

Quote from: sp_redelectric on August 14, 2017, 04:06:37 PM

Hence, my suggestion to build such a route much further south.  Keep it out of Washington County (and Metro) so they don't get much of a say in the matter.

Probably the best idea -- although the cost of a Willamette bridge would still be an obstacle to any such project.  And, at that point, utilizing any or all of the 99W corridor northeast of Dayton would be out of the picture; it'd likely be a new-terrain OR 18 extension heading due east to I-5.  That would be just as well; a (relatively) dedicated corridor from I-5 to the coast unencumbered by having to do double duty as a local server would be optimal to serve that type of interregional traffic.

JasonOfORoads

Head's up for those of us in the area: There's going to be a cars-free sneak peek event where you can walk, run, bike or roll down the bypass before it opens to the public. From the project website:

QuoteSave the Date — Play on the Bypass
August 18, 2017
Saturday, September 23rd, 10 a.m.—2 p.m. (Details still underway)

ODOT is opening the bypass to people (but not cars!) on one day - Saturday, September 23rd from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This is your chance to see what's been built before the Newberg-Dundee Bypass (Oregon 18) opens to vehicles this winter. Construction is on track to be complete at the end of 2017.

Bring your friends, family, a water bottle, and even a picnic and take a break on Oregon's (soon-to-be) newest state road. We invite you to get active as you take a sneak peek of the new road. You can walk, bike, run, or roll. For this day only, you can even hang out in the middle of the road. Leashed dogs are invited. Alcohol should stay at home.

The bypass is designed as a highway and does not have sidewalks or bike lanes, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the road from a different perspective before it opens this winter to cars and trucks. More details will be available soon on how to access the event and where to park.

Chehalem Park and Recreation District will also be hosting a 5K run earlier that morning. Registration details will be available soon.

This is a casual, fun event. A formal ribbon cutting will be held when the road is complete. For more information about the Newberg-Dundee Bypass project, or if you have questions about the event, contact Kristen Kibler at JLA Public Involvement on behalf of ODOT at (503) 235-5881 x104.

Might be an interesting chance to see some signage etc. up close without cars whizzing by. I'm gonna go down and snap some pics myself.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

sparker

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on August 31, 2017, 03:35:52 AM
Head's up for those of us in the area: There's going to be a cars-free sneak peek event where you can walk, run, bike or roll down the bypass before it opens to the public. From the project website:

QuoteSave the Date — Play on the Bypass
August 18, 2017
Saturday, September 23rd, 10 a.m.—2 p.m. (Details still underway)

ODOT is opening the bypass to people (but not cars!) on one day - Saturday, September 23rd from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This is your chance to see what's been built before the Newberg-Dundee Bypass (Oregon 18) opens to vehicles this winter. Construction is on track to be complete at the end of 2017.

Bring your friends, family, a water bottle, and even a picnic and take a break on Oregon's (soon-to-be) newest state road. We invite you to get active as you take a sneak peek of the new road. You can walk, bike, run, or roll. For this day only, you can even hang out in the middle of the road. Leashed dogs are invited. Alcohol should stay at home.

The bypass is designed as a highway and does not have sidewalks or bike lanes, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the road from a different perspective before it opens this winter to cars and trucks. More details will be available soon on how to access the event and where to park.

Chehalem Park and Recreation District will also be hosting a 5K run earlier that morning. Registration details will be available soon.

This is a casual, fun event. A formal ribbon cutting will be held when the road is complete. For more information about the Newberg-Dundee Bypass project, or if you have questions about the event, contact Kristen Kibler at JLA Public Involvement on behalf of ODOT at (503) 235-5881 x104.

Might be an interesting chance to see some signage etc. up close without cars whizzing by. I'm gonna go down and snap some pics myself.

Caltrans did this same sort of thing in the summer of 2007 immediately prior to opening the CA 210 freeway; they set up booths and tents on the lanes at the Riverside Avenue interchange in Rialto, and kept it open Friday through Sunday on the last weekend in July of that year.  Unfortunately (for everyone who wasn't selling beverages!) it was one of the hottest weekends of that year, so having an event spread over 8 lanes of concrete pavement meant that folks showing up wouldn't stay too long (they decided not to add lights and extend the hours into evening).  I stayed a couple of hours, enough to yap a bit with District 8 folks -- but the heat eventually got to me and I needed to escape back into my air-conditioned car! 

After installing the center K-rail on the "party" spot, they used that same segment for the ribbon-cutting ceremony the following weekend. 

roadfro

^ Nevada DOT has been doing these fun run/walk/bike events a lot as well. Each of the three phases of the Carson City Freeway had a community event about a month before the freeway segments opened. NDOT also did an event for the 8-mile I-580 extension between Reno and Washoe Valley. Great opportunities for the community (and the roadgeek crowd).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Hurricane Rex

Thought this could be of some use those of us who are close by: http://oregonjta.org/region2/?e=402&w=weblog

It notes that the ribbon cutting ceremony is on December 18th but the bypass is opening at a later date? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me as I have always seen ribbon cutting ceremonies on the day of opening right before cars get put in, so this seems a little unusual to me. I have ran this road (on the play on the bypass day) and seen a drone video showing that except for a small section of adding a westbound right shoulder barrier with the ground around it and the signs, it seems ready. Nothing that can't be done in a month or less. According to a KOIN 6 report back in July, the bypass was supposed to open in November so we are already behind schedule.

Drone video:

KOIN 6 study: http://koin.com/2017/07/03/newberg-dundee-bypass-set-to-open-in-november/

Edit: Re-attempt at youtube video post

I'm likely to go if my running and school schedule cooperate (I'm on break then) partially to see if they have any excuses for this delay, otherwise to get another good look and to experience my first ribbon cutting ceremony. I may attempt on running it again :bigass:
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Sub-Urbanite

It's the unpredictability of contractor's schedules vs. the hyper-scheduling of elected officials' schedules. Likeliest scenario:

ODOT asked Governor if she'd like to attend
Governor's office sent 8 dates to ODOT
ODOT picked date that matched contractor's schedule (low activity day, or maybe very close to completion, etc)
And thus, you have a "ribbon cutting" that is near completion but not at completion.

Sometimes the road opens a day later. Sometimes it's a week. Given that it's ODOT we're talking about, we should all count ourselves lucky if the contractor didn't accidentally used the wrong concrete and the bridges don't collapse.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on December 04, 2017, 06:53:01 PM
It's the unpredictability of contractor's schedules vs. the hyper-scheduling of elected officials' schedules. Likeliest scenario:

ODOT asked Governor if she'd like to attend
Governor's office sent 8 dates to ODOT
ODOT picked date that matched contractor's schedule (low activity day, or maybe very close to completion, etc)
And thus, you have a "ribbon cutting" that is near completion but not at completion.

Sometimes the road opens a day later. Sometimes it's a week. Given that it's ODOT we're talking about, we should all count ourselves lucky if the contractor didn't accidentally used the wrong concrete and the bridges don't collapse.

And since that's right around Christmas, everyone will probably disappear for 2-3 weeks with the road just sitting there, ready to use, but the one person whose job is to say "the highway is open" is on an extended holiday vacation.

Maybe it'll be open before Spring Break...

Hurricane Rex

http://portlandtribune.com/nbg/142-news/380512-267976-bypass-ribbon-cutting-ceremony-dec-18

A little bit more information on the ribbon cutting ceremony.

So its not open but its open? I really don't get ODOT. Know in them the roadway will crumble the moment I run on it let alone drive on it.  :bigass:

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Do you think it is worth it to go to the ribbon cutting ceremony? I've never been to one so I don't know what its like.

Running till I die.

sparker

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 16, 2017, 03:21:59 AM
Do you think it is worth it to go to the ribbon cutting ceremony? I've never been to one so I don't know what its like.

You get to put faces to the names of all the local politicos and functionaries whose names are (rightfully or not) all over the project paperwork.  They inevitably get started late (I've been to about a half-dozen in my time), so bring plenty of your own drinks or snacks (agencies generally don't have the budget for an open snack bar these days!).  But you do get to see politicians in their adopted habitat -- but be prepared for a good deal of droning on and on by all involved!   

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: sparker on December 17, 2017, 05:06:23 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 16, 2017, 03:21:59 AM

You get to put faces to the names of all the local politicos and functionaries whose names are (rightfully or not) all over the project paperwork.  They inevitably get started late (I've been to about a half-dozen in my time), so bring plenty of your own drinks or snacks (agencies generally don't have the budget for an open snack bar these days!).  But you do get to see politicians in their adopted habitat -- but be prepared for a good deal of droning on and on by all involved!   
Can't even make it anyways due to my running schedule (practice at 3), if anyone goes could you fill us in?

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Today's update: Opening date is January 6th at 5 am.

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Can't find it anymore but I found a video on the ribbon cutting ceremony a few days past and I'll the url if I can find it again. Had some serious parts, humor, and rambling about the transportation package with a little Grande Donde music.

Edit: Not what I originally found but just a special thanks video.:

Don't know if on time was true considering many sources early on said it would be open in 2016 and ODOT's contract ends on December 31 if I'm being technical.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.