News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2019 meets

Started by cjk374, March 23, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

A notable con, and IMO the primary reason why we haven't had more mid-week meets:

- Work/school commitments.  For those who work, more likely to require taking a vacation day (or additional days) to attend.

Duke87

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 14, 2018, 08:49:59 PM
Also, since many people turn road meets into an event, very few people would probably be impacted by having to be back to work in short order anyway.
Quote from: froggie on October 14, 2018, 09:53:53 PM
A notable con, and IMO the primary reason why we haven't had more mid-week meets:
- Work/school commitments.  For those who work, more likely to require taking a vacation day (or additional days) to attend.

Yeah I don't know how you've been handling trips but road meets I've taken even a single day off work to attend are in the minority. I can appreciate that someone who is flying across the ocean for a week will be traveling on consecutive weekends and be most available for midweek but this is logistically awkward for anyone traveling a shorter distance.

Alaska was a midweek meet, but all of its attendees were far from home and in the midst of a longer vacation.

The Golden Spike meet was also midweek and decently attended, but that featured an opportunity that a significant number of people thought sufficiently special to be worth contorting their schedules to make happen.

Ordinary meets in ordinary places are almost always held on Saturdays for a reason.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kevinb1994

My TBD Jacksonville Road Meet has been officially set for TBD.

kevinb1994

As for other 2019 road meets I definitely have Pittsburgh in mind. I have never been to the Burgh though at least one or two family members have.

Bruce

I think it's pretty much confirmed that a Seattle meet will happen on February 2, 2019 for the viaduct + tunnel walk.

Thread is here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=23573.0

tckma

Quote from: brianreynolds on April 01, 2018, 09:56:38 PM
Next year's Extra-Miler Club annual gathering will be in Knoxville on Saturday, June 29, 2019.  An opportunity for a twofer.

Sounds concurrent with the ALPCA annual convention ...?

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I'd be interested in a Philadelphia road meet. I probably won't host (a 14 year old kid?), but I have a few ideas.

-I-95/PA Turnpike Interchange construction
-PA 90 remnants (I-95 interchange, ramp stubs, etc.)
-Old alignments of assorted roads (US 1, US 13, US 422, etc.)
-Gustine Lake Interchange (button copy signs and such)
-Abandoned PA 291 in Philly Int'l Airport

Postmeet dinner: Philadelphia's a large city, there are tons of choices.

Depends when it is for me.  I'm currently working a short term contract job that has me in the Philly suburbs during the work week.  That will be the case until at least the end of June 2019.  At that point, they will either extend the contract, or the prime contractor would hire me directly in which case I'd ask to be transferred to one of their Maryland locations so I don't have to move to Philly, or my polygraph clearance comes through and I can start on a permanent job in MD for which I already have a written offer, or I'll have to go find another short-term contract somewhere else.

The TL;DR version of that is that it's easy for me to attend a Philly-based meet through June 2019, but after that, who knows.

That said, I had to go on a business trip out west last week -- I saw what I thought was an abandoned section of PA-291 when I was on the bus from the airport to the parking area, and thought I was a bit crazy, but I guess I wasn't?

A Pittsburgh meet might be doable for me as well; I'll go follow that thread.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm penciling in Portsmouth, Ohio for May 18.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Not a road meet per se, but the Jefferson Highway Association will be meeting in Natchitoches, LA  April 24-27, 2019
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 20, 2018, 08:37:24 PM
Is Chicagoland or Peoria still on for next year?

Patience, it's not even December 2018 yet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Truvelo

I will be in Gettysburg from March 8-11 next spring. The show I'm attending is on the 9th so that day is out but the 8th, 10th and 11th are available if anyone is interested in meeting up. The 12th is also a possibility if it's close to Newark NJ.
Speed limits limit life

Alps

Quote from: Truvelo on November 24, 2018, 06:03:17 PM
I will be in Gettysburg from March 8-11 next spring. The show I'm attending is on the 9th so that day is out but the 8th, 10th and 11th are available if anyone is interested in meeting up. The 12th is also a possibility if it's close to Newark NJ.
Could arrange a roads thing on Sunday the 10th.

MantyMadTown

I can try to make the La Crosse one. Since it's in June, it'll be during summer so I can probably make it depending on my schedule, considering I won't have a full slate of classes to worry about.
Forget the I-41 haters

A.J. Bertin

Someone may want to update this list by adding Jason's Memphis meet (March or April) and Sandor's Portsmouth OH meet (May 18)... not to mention clarifying the date of Kevin's Jacksonville meet (Feb. 23) and my Providence "city meet" (May 4).

I have a couple questions...

Jason - are you still considering hosting something in Albuquerque this summer?
Scott - are you still considering hosting a meet in LaCrosse?

Are there other meets that have been talked about but not been added to this list yet?
-A.J. from Michigan

baugh17

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 22, 2019, 09:13:15 PM
Someone may want to update this list by adding Jason's Memphis meet (March or April) and Sandor's Portsmouth OH meet (May 18)... not to mention clarifying the date of Kevin's Jacksonville meet (Feb. 23) and my Providence "city meet" (May 4).

Are there other meets that have been talked about but not been added to this list yet?

Wasn't Montreal being considered for this summer?

vdeane

Last I heard, yes, sometime after the new Champlain Bridge opens.

Newberryport, MA has also been talked about a couple times, and is mentioned earlier in this thread.  Is that still a potential for this year?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 22, 2019, 09:13:15 PM

Just so you all know, I am having second thoughts on Albuquerque, its a done deal, my wife, mother in law and I are going but it will be for one of my biggest toy conventions of the year and logistic wise it may not work for me  to host a meet there when my primary focus will be selling diecast cars to several hundred people and it would not be fair to Steph and her mom who will be doing the tourist thing while I am selling. Also I now have a Memphis meet planned for later this spring (4/13 is looking like the potential date for this) and another central PA based meet for April or May 2020.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kevinb1994

Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2019, 12:53:33 PM
Last I heard, yes, sometime after the new Champlain Bridge opens.

Newberryport, MA has also been talked about a couple times, and is mentioned earlier in this thread.  Is that still a potential for this year?

Yes Newburyport is still on the table for this year AFAIK.

SSOWorld

La Crosse will not happen this year either since the Winona bridge won't be open until late fall.  I don't wish to step on toes in an officially closed area - trying for next year.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Hey Scott... don't forget to add Sandor's Portsmouth OH meet (May 18) to the list. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

MantyMadTown

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 23, 2019, 05:56:48 PM
La Crosse will not happen this year either since the Winona bridge won't be open until late fall.  I don't wish to step on toes in an officially closed area - trying for next year.

Aw, that sucks. Do you know anyone who will host another Wisconsin road meet sometime this year?
Forget the I-41 haters

SSOWorld

I'm considering the possibility of something in Milwaukee.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 24, 2019, 09:16:41 PM

That could be fun.  There's enough new stuff and old stuff to make it a very interesting day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

A.J. Bertin

Sweet! If the timing is right for me, I'd be very interested.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

I've never been to Minnesnowta. No wait! Yes I have.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on January 24, 2019, 10:59:51 PM
I've never been to Minnesnowta. No wait! Yes I have.

Am I missing something? Milwaukee is in Wisconsin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.