News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2019 meets

Started by cjk374, March 23, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 25, 2019, 10:04:55 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 24, 2019, 10:59:51 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on January 24, 2019, 09:16:41 PM
I'm considering the possibility of something in Milwaukee.
I've never been to Minnesnowta. No wait! Yes I have.

Am I missing something? Milwaukee is in Wisconsin.

Brain fart.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 23, 2019, 09:14:41 PM
Hey Scott... don't forget to add Sandor's Portsmouth OH meet (May 18) to the list. :)

Rumor has it that I'm hosting a roadmeet in Portsmouth, Oh on May 18.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

Wisconsin is just a mini-sota.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on January 25, 2019, 10:14:09 PM

Brain fart.

He could always go up I-35 to I-90 to get there. Remember, we're roadgeeks. Until a lack of leave time shot my travel plans down, I was planning to go to Froggie's Twin Cities meet a couple of years ago via South and North Dakota.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: hbelkins on January 26, 2019, 04:36:38 PM

Brain fart.

He could always go up I-35 to I-90 to get there. Remember, we're roadgeeks. Until a lack of leave time shot my travel plans down, I was planning to go to Froggie's Twin Cities meet a couple of years ago via South and North Dakota.

Why would you want to take that long of a detour? I wouldn't want to go that far out of my way just to drive in a couple states. I checked on Google Maps, and if you leave from Kentucky, taking I-29 and I-94 from South and North Dakota, would add like an 8 hour detour.
Forget the I-41 haters

TheHighwayMan3561

Because roads. That is why.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 26, 2019, 11:26:11 PM
Why would you want to take that long of a detour? I wouldn't want to go that far out of my way just to drive in a couple states. I checked on Google Maps, and if you leave from Kentucky, taking I-29 and I-94 from South and North Dakota, would add like an 8 hour detour.

See what I bolded in H.B.'s post. We're roadgeeks. We do crap like this. I've done detours like that going to/from meets (or just spur of the moment). When I went to the Kankakee, IL meet in 2017, I ended up in the DC metro near the end of it. I also once drove to my parents in Buffalo by way of Parkersburg, WV. Where do I live? Near Albany, NY. It's very common for roadgeeks to use a meet as an excuse to see something sort of near/on the way to a destination.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 26, 2019, 11:26:11 PM

Brain fart.

You don't understand the point of roadgeeking  :-D  The roads are more important than the destination!

MantyMadTown

That just feels like too long of a detour for me. If I'm going to deliberately go that far out of my way just to do something, I might as well make it a separate road trip. I'm just as much of a roadgeek as the next guy, but driving through the Dakotas on the way to the Twin Cities from Kentucky doesn't make sense to me. There are plenty of interesting routes to take that don't require literally backtracking to get to your destination.
Forget the I-41 haters

US71

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 27, 2019, 04:10:08 AM
That just feels like too long of a detour for me. If I'm going to deliberately go that far out of my way just to do something, I might as well make it a separate road trip. I'm just as much of a roadgeek as the next guy, but driving through the Dakotas on the way to the Twin Cities from Kentucky doesn't make sense to me. There are plenty of interesting routes to take that don't require literally backtracking to get to your destination.

Last year's Ohio meet was a bit of a stretch for me, but I combined it with the RMCA Meet in Hershey, PA the week before and exploring the old National Road on my way to Hershey.

signalman

While this may be true, HB may have had all possible routings clinched.  For many who have been doing this hobby for any length of time, it often becomes difficult to see new territory and drive new roads.  Many folks will take rather lengthy detours in order to minimize the amount of deadhead miles that are endured.

oscar

That just feels like too long of a detour for me. If I'm going to deliberately go that far out of my way just to do something, I might as well make it a separate road trip. I'm just as much of a roadgeek as the next guy, but driving through the Dakotas on the way to the Twin Cities from Kentucky doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, a trip to the Dakotas could be combined with a trip to the Twin Cities, saving time and fuel while fulfilling two sets of road trip objectives. But you have to go to the western parts of both Dakotas for the most interesting stuff, which would be more of a detour from the Twin Cities even with the generous Interstate speed limits (75mph in ND, 80mph in SD) through the more boring parts.

One of my road meet trips was northern Virginia to Toronto via Juneau AK, a four-time zone detour. You could view that as the Toronto meet being the detour from a road trip to and from southeast Alaska. But either way, I saved time and money by combining the trips.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US71

After the Minneapolis Meet a couple years ago, I drove to International Falls then home via US 71. If I'd had more time, I would have liked to explore Minneapolis more than I did.

hbelkins

County collecting and route clinching. The plan for that trip was to clinch US 150 in Illinois (and thus in total), and then fill in some county gaps in Iowa and clinch US 52 in that state. I would have ended up at I-90. An extra day would have allowed me to clinch I-90 in Minnesota, I-29 and I-229 in South Dakota, and visit a bunch of new counties in South Dakota and visit North Dakota for the very first time. It would also have put me in a position to clinch I-94 in Minnesota as well. Then, the intent was to head into Wisconsin and clinch I-39 on the way home. I don't get out that way very often, so why not take advantage of the opportunity?

Alas, I was coming off an incapacitating illness that caused me to have to exhaust my leave time at work, so I was unable to make the trip. But a little later, the opportunity to take a portion of that trip resented itself. I reached I-90 south of Rochester and opted to turn right instead of left. Now I don't know when or if I will ever get a chance to check ND off my list of visited states.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

When I do road trips - the route route ≠ route back.

Also I've done many "scenic routes" to get to where I would go. 

If I do Little Rhody, I intend on a scenic route through Canada (up to Montreal/Quebec City) and then Vermonting.  I've done a drive to Arizona - via San Antonio and Laredo (from SW Wisconsin) which nabbed me I-35.  My Florida entry point last July was on I-10 after nabbing I-65's remaining miles.  (then exiting FL on I-95 and getting into SC for the first time). This is classic roadgeek behavior
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Is it really backtracking if you're taking a different route each way?

Sometimes the detour is to AVOID backtracking.  When I went down to Jacksonville for my cousin's wedding, it was two days down I-95.  I figured I might as well clinch Overseas Highway to Key West (which actually is probably my longest clinching deadhead, by necessity), so that was a third day heading south.  Going back, I didn't feel like deadheading up I-95, so I took an extra day and swung further west up I-75, I-24, I-65, and I-71, and got to visit Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio for the first time.  It's not like I get to go that way often.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MantyMadTown

You guys provided good examples. Driving to Minnesota from Kentucky by way of South and North Dakota just doesn't feel right to me.
Forget the I-41 haters

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm one of those who generally has minimal to no problem with backtracking. I can always freshen up old routes by changing up itineraries and visiting things I didn't previously. But that's also a function of me being more interested in the exploration aspect, where lots of roadgeeks view every minute spent off the road at stops as wasting time that could be used for driving instead.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

signalman

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 28, 2019, 03:32:57 AM
You guys provided good examples. Driving to Minnesota from Kentucky by way of South and North Dakota just doesn't feel right to me.
A few get it, most don't.  This is why roadgeeks generally don't discuss travel plans with normies...or, at least I don't.

US71

Quote from: signalman on January 28, 2019, 07:02:05 AM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 28, 2019, 03:32:57 AM
A few get it, most don't.  This is why roadgeeks generally don't discuss travel plans with normies...or, at least I don't.

My trip to Pennsylvania and Ohio last September, one or two people back home knew roughly where I was going but I didn't discuss details.

Dougtone

Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2019, 12:53:33 PM
Last I heard, yes, sometime after the new Champlain Bridge opens.

Newberryport, MA has also been talked about a couple times, and is mentioned earlier in this thread.  Is that still a potential for this year?

Yes, I am still considering a Newburyport (or really, Newbury is more like it), MA meet, which would be likely in early November.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Dougtone on January 31, 2019, 06:27:32 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2019, 12:53:33 PM
Last I heard, yes, sometime after the new Champlain Bridge opens.

Newberryport, MA has also been talked about a couple times, and is mentioned earlier in this thread.  Is that still a potential for this year?

Yes, I am still considering a Newburyport (or really, Newbury is more like it), MA meet, which would be likely in early November.
I'd do it, I'm only 13 but IDK Peabody has some very interesting signals I'd love to see, like the new right turn FYA in downtown.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 12:30:05 PM
I know we're now less than a week away from the Jacksonville Road Meet now, but unfortunately the weather forecast looks less than favorable now. Gonna postpone this meet until later this year instead of canceling it outright.

Depending on timing and finances, I may try to make this time.

A.J. Bertin

I know we're now less than a week away from the Jacksonville Road Meet now, but unfortunately the weather forecast looks less than favorable now. Gonna postpone this meet until later this year instead of canceling it outright.

According to the National Weather Service, Jacksonville's forecast for Saturday is partly sunny with a high near 81. What's "less than favorable" about that?
-A.J. from Michigan

Dougtone

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 18, 2019, 09:54:22 PM

According to the National Weather Service, Jacksonville's forecast for Saturday is partly sunny with a high near 81. What's "less than favorable" about that?

It's less than favorable because it gives us all more of a reason to go to the beach instead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.