Seattle (SR 99 Tunnel) - February 2, 2019

Started by Bruce, September 01, 2018, 02:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Just a heads-up that the new SR 99 Tunnel should finally be open in October. I hope we can have a few of us locals (and perhaps those from further out) meet up for the opening ceremonies/walkabout/whatever WSDOT is planning, and perhaps a day-after drive through the new toll tunnel.

---

UPDATE: Reserve your free tickets at http://99stepforward.com/ and we'll try to coordinate on the day of. Let's walk the tunnel and viaduct all together as a group, and perhaps go on a tour of town afterwards.

jakeroot

Max Rockatansky

The funny thing is that I generally find 99 over the Viaduct to be a way more viable way of getting past downtown over I-5, especially southbound.  Hopefully the tunnel actually does something to improve traffic flow, granted it was built largely due to quake damage on the Viaduct. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 01, 2018, 09:23:21 AM
The funny thing is that I generally find 99 over the Viaduct to be a way more viable way of getting past downtown over I-5, especially southbound.  Hopefully the tunnel actually does something to improve traffic flow, granted it was built largely due to quake damage on the Viaduct.

Should be better than today's viaduct. No fewer lanes, but no downtown exits or entrances. Basically a giant bypass road.

Bruce, did WSDOT actually announce any intention to host a gathering? Even if they don't, I think it would be cool to have a get-together and ride thru for any and all interested.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2018, 10:32:31 AM

Should be better than today's viaduct. No fewer lanes, but no downtown exits or entrances. Basically a giant bypass road.

Bruce, did WSDOT actually announce any intention to host a gathering? Even if they don't, I think it would be cool to have a get-together and ride thru for any and all interested.

That should help somewhat, those ramps on the Viaduct were worthless anyways.  When do demolition on the Viaduct start?  Any word if the US 99 BGS will be preserved?

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 01, 2018, 10:34:40 AM

That should help somewhat, those ramps on the Viaduct were worthless anyways.  When do demolition on the Viaduct start?  Any word if the US 99 BGS will be preserved?

You may want to check out the dedicated thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12173.0 (especially some of the recent pages)

The viaduct removal will start very soon after the tunnel opens, and will take six months. Removal of the Battery Street tunnel, also starting after the tunnel opens, will take about 24 months.

According to Bruce, on the other (linked) thread, there are currently no plans to preserve the US-99 BGS. But, WSDOT is open to preserving it, just not on their dime. The space-age gantries on the north end of the viaduct are being preserved.

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2018, 10:52:07 AM

You may want to check out the dedicated thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12173.0 (especially some of the recent pages)

The viaduct removal will start very soon after the tunnel opens, and will take six months. Removal of the Battery Street tunnel, also starting after the tunnel opens, will take about 24 months.

According to Bruce, on the other (linked) thread, there are currently no plans to preserve the US-99 BGS. But, WSDOT is open to preserving it, just not on their dime. The space-age gantries on the north end of the viaduct are being preserved.

Why save the gantry and not the sign? Am I the only one confused about this?  :confused: :confused:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on September 01, 2018, 07:02:22 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2018, 10:52:07 AM

Why save the gantry and not the sign? Am I the only one confused about this?  :confused: :confused:

It's a US 99 shield located on one of the ramps:

https://flic.kr/p/JTAuKJ

cjk374

I remember you posting that picture elsewhere. I live the sign. Seattle needs to try to save that small part of their history...both sign & gantry.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on September 01, 2018, 07:07:27 PM
I remember you posting that picture elsewhere. I live the sign. Seattle needs to try to save that small part of their history...both sign & gantry.

I did a whole series on the Gribblenation Facebook page on the Alaskan Way Viaduct and the previous roadways that led to it being built.  There was a little bit of speculation as to when US 99 proper was moved to the Viaduct that was never resolved, it's all on the Northwest Board.

Hell I'd love to have the sign if I was local enough and had the means to remove it.  The Viaduct and US 99 had a huge role in the history of local transportation in Seattle, it would be a shame to see the sign go.

jakeroot

If I know WSDOT, they'll make it as difficult as possible to acquire the sign. They have a pretty strict "recycle" policy.

The gantry and the sign are separate installations.

Bruce

This trick only works outside of peak hours. The viaduct is heavily congested because it carries a big chunk of West Seattle's traffic (which will now be forced to divert onto other streets), so it may work  as a shortcut in the future.

As far as I'm aware, WSDOT plans to host a public celebration for the viaduct sometime in October. As soon as I learn of the date or details, I'll post in here.

cl94

I have a feeling WSDOT would be willing to sell the sign to someone if they're willing to pay current scrap value for it. Offer $1-200 and see if they're willing to part ways with it.

Wish I could make this thing, but sadly, I cannot. Was out there last month, though, and the tunnel looked nearly done from what I could see.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on September 04, 2018, 11:16:03 AM
I have a feeling WSDOT would be willing to sell the sign to someone if they're willing to pay current scrap value for it. Offer $1-200 and see if they're willing to part ways with it.

Wish I could make this thing, but sadly, I cannot. Was out there last month, though, and the tunnel looked nearly done from what I could see.

That would be my expectation. Of course, we'd need to find a way to transport it, pay to have it removed, etc. At least as I understand it.

The tunnel is indeed very close to opening. Long time coming...

Hurricane Rex

Unless thia is delayed to Thanksgiving weekend, there is probably no way I can attend due to college obligations and cross country season starting soon.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Bruce

WSDOT has announced that the viaduct will close on January 11, 2019, and the tunnel will open approximately three weeks later.

More time to plan if you want to head up here. Dates are not final, however, and are dependent on weather.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/library/advisories-and-updates/sr-99-tunnel-to-open-in-early-2019

Bruce

The grand opening for the tunnel will be February 2, 2019. Free sign up here: http://99stepforward.com/

So we should have a non-car (gasp) meetup on that day and a drive-thru shortly afterwards, if we're gonna do this. I plan to do the entire tunnel and viaduct (in that order).

jakeroot

Got my tickets for the event.

Happy to meet on-foot! My plan will be to park at one of the downtown garages (would park on street but...time restrictions) and then walk to wherever the festivities take me (apparently on a shuttle to the north at one point).

compdude787

I've got my tickets too. Looking forward to it!

corco

I should probably swing up for this- count me in!

SSOWorld

I'll just sit back - unfortunately, I won't get a chance at driving the viaduct.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

I've put my tickets aside. Now to find the cheapest flights to the West Coast.

jakeroot

This is certainly shaping up to be quite the meetup. At least by PNW standards.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on November 06, 2018, 01:27:37 AM
This is certainly shaping up to be quite the meetup. At least by PNW standards.

Yeah, our isolated little corner of the country will get our time in the spotlight.

Anyone want to volunteer their cars for a driving tour of some highways, assuming that our out-of-town visitors are staying for the Sunday as well? I don't think we'd have time for anything more than a dinner together after the tunnel/viaduct walk.

jakeroot

I could probably arrange a vehicle.

Anyone else doing the bicycle ride on Sunday?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.