News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

famartin

So while I was wondering around northeastern PA yesterday, I noticed an oddity with signage which happened in multiple places.

Typical guidance for reassurance signs on interstates and other freeways is to place one shortly after on-ramps, to "reassure" the traveler as to which way they are going.

However, in several locations (on both I-81 and I-84) in northeast PA, I noticed the reassurance sign was placed shortly beyond the off-ramp, but notably BEFORE the on-ramp (such that there was no way traffic from the on-ramp would see it). It seemed as if they were reminding you "If you intended to exit, you just missed".  :-D

74/171FAN

roadman65

I just noticed something interesting about Exit 310 on I-80. It's not only a pair of directional interchanges, but also a folded diamond as well on the Delaware Water Gap Village side where the PA 611 connector and the local road intersect as well.

Obviously that was before I-80 got built when former US 611 was aligned from the Delaware Water Gap Bridge into the connector road which then brought 611 back to it's PA two lane alignment. The folded diamond was an interchange of that route after it curved to the left after the plaza.

Also the ramp at the toll plaza that is closed also was used when US 611 was solely on the bridge to NJ then as well. I assumed it got closed post I-80 to avoid weaving at the plaza and redundancy when Exit 310 opened.

Edit: as per 1953 historical aerials shows that as a parclo interchange, so it was not so as I guessed.  When I-80 was built they changed that particular interchange with Broad Street as in 1963, I-80 was opened by then with the current configuration.

So the Wiki article about the I-80 freeway through Stroudsburg can't be right as it stated that originally built to be a bypass for defunct US 611 around Stroudsburg before it became I-80.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sbeaver44

Wikipedia says that PA 235 has an unsigned concurrency with PA 17 and that they both end at US 11/15 in Liverpool

However when I pull the Perry County SLDs dated 12/31/20

Page 213 has SR 0235 ending at SR 0017.   I'd expect this anyway, since, for example, you'll see SR 0015 not really existing in these diagrams (as US 15 is entirely concurrent with US 11 in Perry County, so it will only be SR 0011).  In both cases, if PA 235 actually ended at PA 17, or if it didn't – the SR 0235 designation would end here, as PA 17 is a lower number of the same class, and so even a signed PA 17/235 concurrency would simply bear SR 0017.

Pages 253-254 have SR 0017 between SR 0235 and SR 0011 (US 11/15) but I can't tell how I would read if PA 235 is also existing (but not signed) along here.

Source:

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/Bureaus/BOMO/RM/RITS/Annual%20Electronic%20SLDs%20by%20County/District%208/Perry%20Without%20Pipes.pdf

On this note, are there any other weird hidden concurrencies in PA like this?   For the record, I am not talking about not-signed-but-obviously-implied ones like US 30/PA 23 along the Lancaster Bypass, but here – why would PA 235 be extended along PA 17 just to end and not continue after?

74/171FAN

^I should consider asking someone in District 8 about this.  Thankfully, PA 235 does not extend along PA 17 to US 11/US 15 in Travel Mapping at the moment anyway.

These odd hidden concurrencies seem to be more of an Ohio issue based on my experience.  OH 43 does not seem to be signed along OH 14 at all, yet it still apparently follows it all the way to the Public Square in Cleveland.

amroad17

Quote from: famartin on September 10, 2021, 11:29:31 AM
So while I was wondering around northeastern PA yesterday, I noticed an oddity with signage which happened in multiple places.

Typical guidance for reassurance signs on interstates and other freeways is to place one shortly after on-ramps, to "reassure" the traveler as to which way they are going.

However, in several locations (on both I-81 and I-84) in northeast PA, I noticed the reassurance sign was placed shortly beyond the off-ramp, but notably BEFORE the on-ramp (such that there was no way traffic from the on-ramp would see it). It seemed as if they were reminding you "If you intended to exit, you just missed".  :-D
This was very prevalent in the 1970's--especially on I-81 north of Scranton.  At almost every interchange, there would be a direction-less reassurance sign placed between the off-ramp and the over/underpass about 100-150 feet past the gore.

Here is one at Exit 201 with a NORTH directional banner.
https://goo.gl/maps/XS2HmC2TP2kQjMwh7

In the 1970's there would not be any NORTH banner on the post, just the I-81 sign.  I figured it was "something Pennsylvania did" that was slightly out of the ordinary.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sbeaver44

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 12, 2021, 07:55:28 PM
^I should consider asking someone in District 8 about this.  Thankfully, PA 235 does not extend along PA 17 to US 11/US 15 in Travel Mapping at the moment anyway.

These odd hidden concurrencies seem to be more of an Ohio issue based on my experience.  OH 43 does not seem to be signed along OH 14 at all, yet it still apparently follows it all the way to the Public Square in Cleveland.
Good idea, I have written District 8 before.

sbeaver44

I notice the 511PA Allentown account always Tweets "PA 229"  in reference to Cedar Crest Boulevard but also in places it doesn't make sense

"Roadwork on US 22 eastbound between PA 229/Cedar Crest Blvd and PA 145 South/7th St.  There is a lane restriction."

PA 29 doesn't intersect US 22?  Both the signage and SR 29 designation on SLDs end at I-78.  There is no SR 0229.

https://twitter.com/511paallentown/status/1437547891485286402?s=21

Now according to https://www.pahighways.com/state/PA201-250.html#PA229 PA 229 was signed here...till 1946

I suppose it's probably their database simply not accounting for the decommissioning but...wow

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 13, 2021, 08:08:01 PM

Good idea, I have written District 8 before.

I am currently on a trip to Arizona so I do not have time to do this at the moment.

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 13, 2021, 08:16:19 PM
I notice the 511PA Allentown account always Tweets "PA 229"  in reference to Cedar Crest Boulevard but also in places it doesn't make sense

"Roadwork on US 22 eastbound between PA 229/Cedar Crest Blvd and PA 145 South/7th St.  There is a lane restriction."

PA 29 doesn't intersect US 22?  Both the signage and SR 29 designation on SLDs end at I-78.  There is no SR 0229.

https://twitter.com/511paallentown/status/1437547891485286402?s=21

Now according to https://www.pahighways.com/state/PA201-250.html#PA229 PA 229 was signed here...till 1946

I suppose it's probably their database simply not accounting for the decommissioning but...wow

Maybe it is time to just consider changing PA 29 to PA 229 and extending it slightly north (fictional territory).   :-D

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

thenetwork

When I used to live in Cleveland decades ago, there was END SR-43 signage on WB Miles Avenue at SR-14/Broadway.  In Public Square on SB Ontario Ave, the only routes ever listed were US-422, SR-21 (nee US-21), SR-8 and SR-14.  SR-87 (Woodland Ave) began at East 55th Street while US-422/SR-8 followed Kinsman Ave., although I seem to recall seeing an old photograph at or near Public Square with a SR-87 shield, but no SR-43 shield.  So SR-43 never multiplexed into downtown Cleveland, as far as I know.

ekt8750

Quote from: thenetwork on September 15, 2021, 11:41:30 AM

When I used to live in Cleveland decades ago, there was END SR-43 signage on WB Miles Avenue at SR-14/Broadway.  In Public Square on SB Ontario Ave, the only routes ever listed were US-422, SR-21 (nee US-21), SR-8 and SR-14.  SR-87 (Woodland Ave) began at East 55th Street while US-422/SR-8 followed Kinsman Ave., although I seem to recall seeing an old photograph at or near Public Square with a SR-87 shield, but no SR-43 shield.  So SR-43 never multiplexed into downtown Cleveland, as far as I know.

Gotta love moderate to major cities and how poorly signed-routes are signed within their limits. Looking right at you Philly.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 15, 2021, 12:29:43 PM

Gotta love moderate to major cities and how poorly signed-routes are signed within their limits. Looking right at you Philly.

I do have to give Philly credit on one thing.   They do a decent job of posting shields on the street signs, which helped me out a lot when clinching US 13 a few years ago.

Sadly it does not help with PA 3.

ekt8750

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 15, 2021, 02:35:03 PM

I do have to give Philly credit on one thing.   They do a decent job of posting shields on the street signs, which helped me out a lot when clinching US 13 a few years ago.

Yeah they've gotten better with adding those trailblazers to the sign blades but those don't help much at intersections where routes change streets. That's where ground mounted signage matters the most and the city greatly lacks those.

storm2k

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 15, 2021, 02:35:03 PM

They only seem to do that on the occasion of changing blade signs though, and it's wildly uneven. Still, that's a pretty common thing in most cities. Chicago is one of the few that always felt like they did an above average job of actually posting reassurance markers and signs to indicate when routes turn onto other roadways within the city.

cpzilliacus

Pittsburgh Post Gazette: Taking a toll: PennDOT moves forward with controversial plan to charge for bridges, names potential development teams

QuoteThe Pennsylvania Department of Transportation took the next step toward replacing and charging tolls on as many as nine bridges Monday, but motorists won't pay to use the bridges until 2023 at the earliest.

QuotePennDOT announced it has selected three firms to submit proposals for finishing the design of the nine bridges and propose whether to bundle them together under one contract, replace them individually or a combination of the two. The department's goal is to turn the bridges over to private firms to design and replace them, then maintain them for 30 years with the tolls covering the costs.

QuoteTolls haven't been set but are expected to be $1 or $2.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

74/171FAN

Mergingtraffic

Anybody travel to Breezewood lately to see if any new signs are up yet? A sign replacement project was supposed to start in July.

I like orange extruded aluminum signs but hate Clearview.  My one and only Clearview pic.
Are they adding capacity on I-95 at all in Philly with all the reconstruction?

[/url]
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

famartin

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 23, 2021, 04:39:55 PM
Anybody travel to Breezewood lately to see if any new signs are up yet? A sign replacement project was supposed to start in July.

I like orange extruded aluminum signs but hate Clearview.  My one and only Clearview pic.
Are they adding capacity on I-95 at all in Philly with all the reconstruction?

[/url]

95revive, PennDOT's official name for their never ending project to make everyone hate 95 in Philly, has some spot safety, operational and capacity improvements, but I don't think any wholesale widening is involved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.