News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Likes the forum, way, way too much rank change idea

Started by Hurricane Rex, January 15, 2019, 10:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

This is just an idea.

I'm starting to notice that many people are either earning or is earned the "likes the forum way way too much" rank. While I no longer care too much about rank, I think its a good way to show how much we've posted in a roadgeek related way. I've done the math and it takes 6 years 8 months if you post 5 times a day every day to get the rank. If you post 3 times a day, it increases to 9 years total.  Plus that isn't road related and more of a joke so I have an idea for that: Change the ranking system a little so that the following ranks are changed:

Idea:
Anything up to 1000 posts: the same
1000-2499: Expressway (was 1000-1499)
2500-4999: Turnpike (was 1500-2999)
5000-9999: Freeway (was 3000-4999)
10,000+: Interstate (was 5000-9999)

And for the likes the forum way way too much, you would need to be at the expressway rank or higher, and hold 10 or more post average per day for a period of a week. This would reset every Sunday at 00:00:17 ET.

If its illegal to post this, I'm sorry.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

adventurernumber1

It's an intriguing idea, but I don't think it would work.

Reason being that a requirement of an average of 10 posts per day for a week might cause some members to change their activity to make extremely frequent but low-quality posts to meet the requirement (similar to inflating the post count).

Also, I think the milestone for gaining the "Interstate" rank should probably stay where it is at 5,000 posts. 10,000+ posts really is a lot, so I think that is a fair milestone for gaining the extra special "Likes the forum, way, way too much" rank. And since the forum has been around for 10 years now, there has now been a few people who have earned that rank - and more will soon. But they've been posting for many years, and you also have to remember that there may be, IIRC, a few thousand (maybe?) members on this forum in total, so say we're getting close sometime in the near future to having 10 people on the forum with that rank, it is still an incredibly small proportion, and it retains its extremely rare and special status.

But also, I feel like if this rank were changed to be a limited-time, week-long endeavor, it might somewhat get rid of its special status, and make it less valuable. Even though it would certainly take time and patience (doing it by way of quality posts, and not inflating the post count), it would be worth it to me in the end to get the rank that - well - might mean what it says and be indicative of just how much I love the forum.  :biggrin:  :-P

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 15, 2019, 10:12:47 PM
And for the likes the forum way way too much, you would need to be at the expressway rank or higher, and hold 10 or more post average per day for a period of a week. This would reset every Sunday at 00:00:17 ET.

This wouldn't be possible anyways.  The way ranking is handled in hardwired into SMF.  All we can do is adjust the post thresholds to 'rank up'.  No way we could do anything that deals with 'average' for ranking reasons.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 15, 2019, 11:14:02 PM

This wouldn't be possible anyways.  The way ranking is handled in hardwired into SMF.  All we can do is adjust the post thresholds to 'rank up'.  No way we could do anything that deals with 'average' for ranking reasons.

Didn't know how it was wired in. I just thought it was chosen and that was that. You can lock this thread now if you want now that I know it isn't possible.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

webny99

OP, did you get this idea from me (below), or come up with it of your own accord?
I am in favor of bumping it up, maybe to 15,000 -- possibly even an annual increase of 1,000 every year. However, I am not in favor of changing any of the other ranks.

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2019, 09:18:34 PM
I think the 10-year anniversary is a great time to bump up the post count required for the "Likes the Forum Way, Way Too Much" badge. Maybe to 15,000 posts. Otherwise, eventually, hundreds of users will have the badge and it won't be special anymore.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 15, 2019, 11:01:41 PM
there may be, IIRC, a few thousand (maybe?) members on this forum in total

The exact count is 3,629. However, only about 1850 (roughly half) have ever even made a post. An additional 950 have not surpassed "dirt road" status, meaning that the vast, vast, majority of posts on the forum have been made by the remaining 900 users.

Roadgeekteen

This is just an idea.

I'm starting to notice that many people are either earning or is earned the "likes the forum way way too much" rank. While I no longer care too much about rank, I think its a good way to show how much we've posted in a roadgeek related way. I've done the math and it takes 6 years 8 months if you post 5 times a day every day to get the rank. If you post 3 times a day, it increases to 9 years total.  Plus that isn't road related and more of a joke so I have an idea for that: Change the ranking system a little so that the following ranks are changed:

Idea:
Anything up to 1000 posts: the same
1000-2499: Expressway (was 1000-1499)
2500-4999: Turnpike (was 1500-2999)
5000-9999: Freeway (was 3000-4999)
10,000+: Interstate (was 5000-9999)

If its illegal to post this, I'm sorry.
10 posts a day average for a week? Only I would get that. I do agree that there should be something over 10,000 though, as now 7 members have it. I remember when only 3 had it. Maybe a "roadgeek gold" like I suggested.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

I propose "Dead End" for banned users, so nobody new tries to deal with them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2019, 10:19:18 AM
I like the idea. I know that the alternate history forum I occasionally visit has a text banned near the users name.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Henry

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 16, 2019, 12:49:58 PM
How about 3di for 5000-9999 and 2di for 10k+?
I second those suggestions!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

I liken this to a rewards program where you strive to get to the highest level, and then suddenly they pull it out from you because they decided too many people got it.

In other words - leave it be.  I'm sure there's no one that posted 10,000 times just for rank. (ok, I could name 1 or 2 that care)

adventurernumber1

I concur. I think that's a pretty good idea.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

renegade

Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2019, 09:51:59 AM
OP, did you get this idea from me (below), or come up with it of your own accord?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 10:05:37 AM
10 posts a day average for a week? Only I would get that. I do agree that there should be something over 10,000 though, as now 7 members have it. I remember when only 3 had it. Maybe a "roadgeek gold" like I suggested.

Stay in school, kids! 
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

webny99

^ Not sure why you included a quote from me in there.
I've been out of school for almost 2 years.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: renegade on January 16, 2019, 03:39:57 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2019, 09:51:59 AM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 10:05:37 AM

Stay in school, kids! 
I'm in school, also, webny's 19, not really a kid anymore.

hbelkins

If the text can be changed, I'd suggest altering "likes the forum..." to "senior member" or "top contributor" or something like that. I'm not sure who all has that rank, but I'd guess it is the most senior members who are among the elders of the roadgeek community. Something to let the newer members know who the established members are.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I think we've been around long enough that we need to set the bar higher for Likes The Forum. After Interstate we could do something like... Hyperloop :D

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2019, 07:13:50 PM
If the text can be changed, I'd suggest altering "likes the forum..." to "senior member" or "top contributor" or something like that. I'm not sure who all has that rank, but I'd guess it is the most senior members who are among the elders of the roadgeek community. Something to let the newer members know who the established members are.
I have a feeling that that's a bad idea.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 16, 2019, 12:56:55 PM
I liken this to a rewards program where you strive to get to the highest level, and then suddenly they pull it out from you because they decided too many people got it.

In other words - leave it be.  I'm sure there's no one that posted 10,000 times just for rank. (ok, I could name 1 or 2 that care)
Agreed.  I don't really see a need to change it.  I never got a sense that it was supposed to be an "exclusive club" that only two or three people were in, just that it was a high number an that it would take time for people to reach it.  Basically everyone who isn't agentsteel53 (who is one of a kind) or NE2 (who got there on snark) got there from longevity.

I've been on forums that showed a member's join date either below or above (or even instead of) their post count next to every post.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

I like the current rank name. It's a lighthearted suggestion that the most prolific posters are rather fanatically devoted to the forum. "Senior member" or "top contributor" seem too serious.

I'm nowhere near the threshold, but I agree with vdeane that it should stay where it is.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2019, 08:29:01 PM

Agreed.  I don't really see a need to change it.  I never got a sense that it was supposed to be an "exclusive club" that only two or three people were in, just that it was a high number an that it would take time for people to reach it.  Basically everyone who isn't agentsteel53 (who is one of a kind) or NE2 (who got there on snark) got there from longevity.

I've been on forums that showed a member's join date either below or above (or even instead of) their post count next to every post.
NE2 has been here for a while, his posts per day is smaller than many users here. Also, how was agentsteel53 unique? I've always wondered how he posted so much without getting into NE2 territory?

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2019, 08:29:01 PM

Well, considering you are next in line to earn the badge, I wouldn't want the threshold bumped either, if I were you.  :-P

I actually think Time Spent Online should be the measure. How we know if you really do "like the forum way, way, too much" is how often you're actually on the forum, not how many times you've posted.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 09:08:10 PM
NE2/me territory

Something tells me you shouldn't have likened yourself to NE2. I am just going to sit back and see what ensues.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2019, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 09:08:10 PM
NE2/me territory

Something tells me you shouldn't have likened yourself to NE2. I am just going to sit back and see what ensues.
Your are right, that's not the best comparison to make.

froggie

Quote from: adventurenumber1Reason being that a requirement of an average of 10 posts per day for a week might cause some members to change their activity to make extremely frequent but low-quality posts to meet the requirement (similar to inflating the post count).

Even without it as a requirement, there are some posters who do this.

Quote from: hbelkinsI'm not sure who all has that rank, but I'd guess it is the most senior members who are among the elders of the roadgeek community.

Your guess would be correct.  Of the 7 who have hit 10K+ posts, all have been in the roadgeek community since long before the AARoads forum came to be.  5 of the 7 have been on this forum since at/near the beginning.  At least 4 of the 7 (from what I can remember from USENET) have been in the community since before 4 posters in this thread were born.

Quote from: AlpsI think we've been around long enough that we need to set the bar higher for Likes The Forum. After Interstate we could do something like... Hyperloop :D

At least you didn't suggest Hypotenuse...😌

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.