News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Songs you were afraid of

Started by bandit957, December 03, 2019, 10:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

"Dueling Banjos" while on a camping trip?

Mark68

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 04:33:49 PM
Quote from: crt08 on January 01, 2020, 08:52:25 AM
I never liked Hotel California by The Eagles, although I liked their other songs. The interludes in the song just sounded so sad and although the place was figurative, I always got this picture of some old hotel in the middle of nowhere and wondered if they ever got out. lol

For some reason I always envisioned "the dark desert highway"  as CA 190 East of US 395.  I get that the "beast"  is a metaphor for addiction but it's hard not to get the mental image of people attempting to use their "steely"  eyes via some sort of telepathy trying to "stab"  some monster in the basement of the Hotel California. 

Not the only song on the album that deals with drugs. "Life in the Fast Lane" is overtly about drugs and the excesses of the Hollywood lifestyle.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

TheGrassGuy

Sabre Dance by Aram Khachaturian
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

hbelkins

This song got mentioned upthread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

Mercy- Kanye West (I found out that the intro was really really dark so..)

My Heart Will Go On
A lot of MJ songs used to scare me, but strangely not Thriller
Earth Song (that key change was terrifying)
Money
Sunset Rider
Ghosts (ngl im still kinda scared of this)
Blood On The Dance Floor
Speed Demon
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

jakeroot

I can't say I'm afraid of any songs. The only ones that might qualify are those that make me cry because of a bad memory or something.

The Police's Every Breath You Take is nothing compared to Oingo Boingo's Little Girls. Silly comparison since neither song is based in reality. Still...

https://youtu.be/H2LQMElLoLs

Scott5114

It wasn't the song itself, but the music video for Madonna's "Take A Bow" has a shot where someones finger suddenly gets stabbed and it bleeds a bit. I was 5 when it first came out, and one of our family friends had MTV on and it showed up. It wigged me out enough that every time I heard the song (which usually happened at night, as I listened to the radio to go to sleep) I thought about it and got little-kid afraid of someone stabbing my finger.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

keithvh

The I-Beam music on Sesame Street!  Scared me as a kid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49FBci5D7Ik

Also as a kid, the ABC affiliate in Detroit had music they played on the news when showing the lottery numbers.  Music sounded like something that previewed an alien invasion.  9:27 mark.

https://youtu.be/4VP62OfrlkQ?t=582

Ned Weasel

This creeped me out so much as a kid that even the music became mildly horrifying:

https://youtu.be/KUSwocntUMY
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CapeCodder

This iconic song; more specifically the video. When the "heat map" effect happens, he turns into a "rainbow." I was 5 when I first saw the video and thought "Why is a rainbow so angry?"

I was afraid of the backing vocals on Bonnie Raitt's Something to Talk About and Phil Collins' Something Happened on the Way to Heaven.

This next song, however takes the cake. Again I was 5/6 and I found her vocals grating. Today however, I love this song.

SectorZ

I know I said earlier I wasn't scared of any songs, but I realized one that irks me.

People have brought up "Every Breath You Take" by the Police. I was listening to the CD (as a passenger) and was involved in a pretty serious car accident that I thankfully walked out of unscathed. It wasn't that song, but the final track, "Murder by Numbers". If that comes on while driving it gets a skip.

Same with "Stacked Actors" by the Foo Fighters, since I nailed a deer that totaled my car 20-odd years ago when that song was on.

DandyDan

When Marilyn Manson was new, anything he did scared me. Of course, he has turned out to be a scary creep.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kenarmy

Quote from: keithvh on February 11, 2021, 01:09:40 AM

help I can't get this out of my head!
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

bandit957

I remember seeing the I-beam segment on 'Sesame Street' when I was about 5, and I had no idea what it was. I didn't know it was a piece of metal back then. I used to think it was a giant dog bone that had been held over a fire or something.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Another scary sound was the sound that used to accompany an old radio announcement for Sohio or Boron. On some cold winter days - I'm talking really, really cold - the DJ would be talking, and all of a sudden you'd hear this creepy synth sound, and the DJ would do an announcement for Sohio and say, "You go or Sohio pays your tow."

It was sort of like the creepy sound in the TV Guide commercials in the '70s.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Rothman

Quote from: kenarmy on February 12, 2021, 07:53:10 PM
Quote from: keithvh on February 11, 2021, 01:09:40 AM

help I can't get this out of my head!
Such a short section of I-beam, too.

I remember my father telling that it was hot and I always thought it was a challenge to keep that it mind.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tolbs17

Wrecking Ball (Hope you don't get killed!).

capt.ron

Pink Floyd's "On the run" always made me feel uneasy in a dark environment.
Red Rider's "Lunatic Fringe" starts out sounding like it belongs in a suspense thriller movie or something. Again, unsettling in a dark environment.
The Who's "Won't get fooled again" was another one that kinda freaked me out when I first heard it. The organ through the LFO filter was kinda creepy to me back then.
Pink Floyd: "Careful with that axe, Eugene!" Ummm yeah, not in a dark room, especially if you never heard the number before!

formulanone

When I was five, I was freaked out by The Love Boat theme, because that stupid anchor scared me for about three weeks. It appeared to be falling on everyone, and I had a dream that the anchor was then walking through the hallway of my house, looking for its next victim.

https://youtu.be/AB7f26dGGzI

This might explain why I'm into cars.

But I don't think any song has really creeped me out since, except for occasional uncanny placement of music.

CoreySamson

I do not like "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steve Miller Band. The electronic sounds in the song sound like a creepy old video game.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Takumi

Not the song itself, but I found the video for Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun disturbing when I was a kid.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GCrites

Quote from: bandit957 on February 13, 2021, 03:19:20 PM
Another scary sound was the sound that used to accompany an old radio announcement for Sohio or Boron. On some cold winter days - I'm talking really, really cold - the DJ would be talking, and all of a sudden you'd hear this creepy synth sound, and the DJ would do an announcement for Sohio and say, "You go or Sohio pays your tow."

It was sort of like the creepy sound in the TV Guide commercials in the '70s.

This one? Yeah I hated it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVOJ2RqNYzg

ethanhopkin14

Maneater by Hall and Oats scared me when I was young because I thought it was about a Venus fly trap eating people (men).

kevinb1994

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 26, 2021, 05:36:31 PM
Maneater by Hall and Oats scared me when I was young because I thought it was about a Venus fly trap eating people (men).
Haha, it seems like that one has scared many of us.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.