News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Irving: New 5-level interchange at SH 183-Loop12 (Texas Stadium site)

Started by MaxConcrete, January 03, 2020, 11:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

This major interchange project, current listed at $415 million, was slated to be awarded in September 2019 but was pulled from the schedule and is now listed for 2021 letting.

The delay was a mystery to me. Now information has become available to explain the delay.

See item 4.2
https://www.nctcog.org/nctcg/media/Transportation/Committees/RTC/2020/agenda-packet-jan.pdf?ext=.pdf#[{%22num%22%3A285%2C%22gen%22%3A0}%2C{%22name%22%3A%22FitH%22}%2C792

The City of Irving was responsible for acquiring 35 parcels for relocation of water and wastewater lines. Irving did not complete the acquisition in time for the project to proceed, and (according to TxDOT) as of December only 11 parcels had been acquired.

As the link shows, TxDOT issued a letter threatening to reallocate the funding to other projects if Irving did not acquire the easements. Irving now says they have acquired 27 of the 35 parcels. TxDOT put a deadline of the end of February to acquire the parcels for April 2020 letting, and the letter from the Mayor of Irving suggests the deadline will be met.

So this sounds like good news that the project should be let in April.

The need to acquire 35 parcels is somewhat surprising to me, since there seems to be far fewer then 35 landholders adjacent to the project area. But maybe some of the easements extend away from the immediate project site.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Chris

What are they going to construct there for $ 415 million, considering there already is some major infrastructure built at that location?

Bobby5280

Some work has been completed in that zone, but looking at the imagery in Google Earth (dated 9/7/19) it's all still a very interim configuration.

Does anyone have a schematic on what will be built in this $400+ million project?

The site currently has 3 incomplete interchanges. The TX-114/Spur-482 interchange is currently a 3-leaf clover. It needs to be a directional stack with all the proper movements. The Loop 12/TX-183 interchange is also incomplete. TX-183 was recently expanded. But it has only 2 new flyover movements to Loop 12. I am NOT a fan at all of the one lane express lanes along that part of TX-183. Single lane express lanes are garbage no matter what. TX-114 is still in the process of a major expansion through that zone. The interchange of TX-114 and Loop 12 is pretty much a volleyball currently. There's two recently built flyover ramps, but that's it.

The DFW area has a few other volleyball interchanges in need of attention (like TX-114 and TX-161 in Irving).

rte66man

Quote from: Chris on January 04, 2020, 04:44:06 AM
What are they going to construct there for $ 415 million, considering there already is some major infrastructure built at that location?

The TX183/Loop12 interchange alone will be expensive. I expect most of the parcels the City is supposed to be acquiring are in that area. It needs a full set of movements along with the elimination of the 2 remaining loop rams (the EB to NB loop has thankfully been addressed). Not sure why they removed the EB 183 to EB Loop 12 connection either.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Chris on January 04, 2020, 04:44:06 AM

http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/projects/state-highways/loop-12-and-sh-183-interchange-and-sh-183spur-482-and-sh-114-irving-intercha

$414 million seems high for the amount of work shown in the schematics, especially since only four new connector ramps are being added at Loop12/SH183. The transition zone on Loop 12 south of the interchange is quite long, which may be a high cost. I'm thinking the actual construction cost will be lower, and maybe the figure of $414 million is fully loaded with right-of-way and other project costs.

Looking at the schematics, the frontage roads are on the third level of the five-level interchange, which will be the third instance of frontage roads on the third level in North Texas. (Also Bush/IH30, IH35E/SH121). On the Loop 12/SH 183 interchange, there are very tall straddle bents over SB Loop 12 for the level four and level five connector ramps.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

I think it's good the movements between TX-183 and Spur-482 are being improved/restored. But it looks like the end result of the project will leave the intersection of TX-114 and Spur-482 as a volleyball.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 04, 2020, 03:52:22 PM

The DFW area has a few other volleyball interchanges in need of attention (like TX-114 and TX-161 in Irving).

TXDOT had once some plans to fix the TX-114/161 junction but I don't know if it still in the works.  The piers who was constructed for a flyover ramp from from TX-114 East to TX-161 North 20 years ago are still there. https://goo.gl/maps/U523ZKRhKDwXFBQQ8

Bobby5280

I've driven past those ghost piers many times. I don't know how long they can just stand there bare like that before they become useless. Many new freeway to freeway interchanges in Texas have unique pylon designs. Those two ghost pylons at TX-114/TX-161 look very similar to the pylons at the Bush Turnpike/I-35E interchange, built in the same era.

If the TX-114/IX-161 volleyball would be improved to a full directional stack interchange Some new development on the SE corner of the interchange could severely hamper or block any such improvement. Google Earth imagery from 9/7/19 shows a lot of grading work on the site going right up the to corner of the TX-114 and TX-161 frontage roads. The properties on the other 3 corners of the interchange site look like flyover ramps could dodge them for the most part. An EB TX-114 flyover to SB TX-161 might be a tight squeeze to keep ramp speeds above 50mph. Anyway, whatever it is they're building on SE corner of the interchange site, hopefully it will be something that can accommodate a future flyover ramp.

Henry

It feels strange to have the piers up with no bridge to put on top of them. Hopefully, something can be done when they finally break ground on the interchange (again!).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Henry on January 07, 2020, 11:43:33 AM
It feels strange to have the piers up with no bridge to put on top of them. Hopefully, something can be done when they finally break ground on the interchange (again!).

Neither The NCTCOG 10-year plan nor the long range 2045 plan include any work at the SH 114/SH 161 interchange. The widening of SH 114 to 4-2-2-4 is included in the 2045 plan and is listed at $900 million, slated for the 2030s. It could possibly include interchange work. But there is a separate listing of interchange work in the 2045 document, and there is no mention of 114/161.

So it appears there is nothing planned for the interchange in current planning documents.

As for the orphan piers, while writing the DFW Freeways book I attempted to investigate the history of why they were built, but I did not get any response from my inquiries to NTTA. At a certain point I decided the book was already too long, so I canceled all planned features which were not done at that time. So that was the end of my efforts to find out the story behind the orphan piers. But it would be interesting to know the rationale for building the piers.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 05, 2020, 01:28:30 PM

If the TX-114/TX-161 volleyball would be improved to a full directional stack interchange Some new development on the SE corner of the interchange could severely hamper or block any such improvement. Google Earth imagery from 9/7/19 shows a lot of grading work on the site going right up the to corner of the TX-114 and TX-161 frontage roads. The properties on the other 3 corners of the interchange site look like flyover ramps could dodge them for the most part. An EB TX-114 flyover to SB TX-161 might be a tight squeeze to keep ramp speeds above 50mph. Anyway, whatever it is they're building on SE corner of the interchange site, hopefully it will be something that can accommodate a future flyover ramp.

There is a mixed-use project going up there; 2 hotels, an apartment complex, plus some restaurant/retail.  I'm not sure about the timeline, nor how close anything built there will encroach on the TX 114/TX 161 interchange.

Bobby5280

I don't know. These developers who want to squeeze right the f@#! up next to the highway need to learn how to develop some foresight for what could possibly be built over that property in the future.

For a ridiculous example just head over to Grapevine. There is a long, lone flyover ramp that connects EB TX-114 traffic with SB TX-121 and SB TX-360. William D Tate Ave is technically the intersecting street at that interchange. But a whole bunch of restaurants and car dealerships were built right up along the South side of TX-114 through there leading into the interchange with TX-121. That really long isolated ramp coming from TX-114 had to span over the Classic Chevrolet dealership there. The ramp goes over the parking lot and a bunch of the new vehicle inventory. The freeway ramp has tall chain-link fences built along it to contain any debris thrown by assholes. Nevertheless the auto dealership below has most of its vehicles parked under large, blue, tent-like structures. The tents might do a good job also protecting against hail. But some people sure love throwing stuff out of their vehicles, especially if the thrown objects can damage anything of value.

I can picture some of the same absurdity in the future of those properties at the intersection with TX-114 and TX-161.

MaxConcrete

A document in Thursday's NCTCOG meeting agenda says that the project could go to bid in May if Irving has in fact acquired all the needed easements.

It is currently listed for September at $382 million
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2021/dallas.htm#058102124

See the page 56

https://www.nctcog.org/nctcg/media/Transportation/Committees/RTC/2020/agenda-packet-mar.pdf?ext=.pdf
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Good news: in today's letting schedule update, the project is now included in the list for May, and is now estimated at $387 million.

https://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2020/dallas.htm#058102124
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Bids were opened today

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/05073001.htm

County:   DALLAS   Let Date:   05/07/20
Type:   INTERCHANGE IMPROVEMENTS   Seq No:   3001
Time:   0 X   Project ID:   NH 1902(201)
Highway:   SL 12   Contract #:   05203001
Length:   1.340   CCSJ:   0581-02-124
Limits:   
To:   AT SH183 AND SH114   Misc Cost:   $24842000.00
Estimate   $365,498,136.54   % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $355,097,341.17   -2.85%   WEBBER, LLC
Bidder 2   $359,646,735.80   -1.60%   AUSTIN BRIDGE & ROAD SERVICES, LP
Bidder 3   $371,795,415.99   +1.72%   JOHNSON BROS. CORPORATION, A SOUTHLAND COMPANY
Bidder 4   $383,936,211.77   +5.04%   WILLIAMS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION CO., INC.
Bidder 5   $406,017,599.57   +11.09%   FLUOR HEAVY CIVIL, LLC
Bidder 6   $435,523,207.26   +19.16%   THE LANE CONSTRUCTION CORPORATION

Bidding was fairly tight among the four lowest bids and under estimate, which should make TxDOT and Webber happy.

As far as I know, this is the last contract for the interchange complex at this site, the former Texas Stadium site. The first job started in 2009 and there has been work in progress almost continuously since then. So the total cycle of construction will be about 15 years.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

At least there's something to show for that 15 years worth of construction. I immediately thought of the I-44/I-235/Broadway Extension interchange project in Oklahoma City. That frankly modest interchange has been in various stages of construction and planning since the early 2000's. And the end result will still be a partial cloverleaf.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 08, 2020, 12:27:49 PM
At least there's something to show for that 15 years worth of construction. I immediately thought of the I-44/I-235/Broadway Extension interchange project in Oklahoma City. That frankly modest interchange has been in various stages of construction and planning since the early 2000's. And the end result will still be a partial cloverleaf.
Same thing wish I-35 and I-240. Complete embarrassment.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 08, 2020, 02:33:14 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 08, 2020, 12:27:49 PM
Same thing wish I-35 and I-240. Complete embarrassment.

One reason.... $$$$$. Texas has more per capita to spend on roads.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Oklahoma has far fewer freeway to freeway interchanges than Texas and only a few are major intersections. That dramatically cuts the project burden to some degree.

Louisiana has a somewhat similar population size as Oklahoma (about 600,000 more people) yet they've managed to build some impressive freeway interchanges, including at least 3 four level directional stack interchanges in the state. Shreveport has one at I-49 & LA-3132. The I-49/I-20 interchange will probably be converted into a complete directional stack when the ICC project is finished. The same goes for the I-49/I-220 interchange. Baton Rouge has a directional interchange at I-110 & US-190. The last directional interchange is West of New Orleans at I-310 & US-61. Some of these interchanges in Louisiana have really long ramps. The I-10/I-310 "T" interchange and the connecting freeways are all on long bridges over swamp land (I-10 has a boat channel between its two bridges).

Oklahoma has only a few key intersections where a properly designed directional stack interchange is justifiably necessary. The I-40/I-44 interchange in OKC and the US-75/OK-11 in Tulsa are the nearest things we currently have that resemble directional interchanges with no cloverleaf ramps. But they're not 4-level stacks and they're impaired with some left exit ramps.

The I-40/I-44 interchange is pretty old. Whenever it is rebuilt it needs to be rebuilt as a modern directional stack with more thru lanes for both I-40 and I-44. Also in OKC ODOT needs to figure out some way to remedy that really stupid tight cloverleaf ramp for EB I-40 to NB I-235. That ramp really sucks. That's one of the first exit ramps I've seen where instead of painting an I-235 icon on the pavement of the exit lane they painted multiple 25mph speed limit warnings on the exit lane instead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.