News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-240: OK 118?

Started by bugo, April 07, 2020, 08:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

This excerpt from the 1956 Oklahoma County Control Section Map published by the Oklahoma Department of Highways shows what became I-240 as a control section of a route called 118. The map seems to indicate that part of what is now I-240 was open east of where I-35 is now. Was this section of I-240 opened before the other sections that are shown as P&S? Was this road ever signed as an OK 118?

rte66man

That part of 240 sits on top of SE 74th Street but I don't recall that ever being a state highway.  Since this was hand-drawn, maybe it's a mistake.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

I don't think it's a mistake–114 and 119 were both commissioned in 1957 (according to uncited information on Wikipedia), so the 118 number fits as being added as part of a block of designations from that time period.

I don't know that 118 was necessarily signed–if I remember correctly, only the part of I-240 west of I-35 was part of the original 1956 Interstate system, and the part east of I-35 was added later. That would explain why I-240 was P&S (it was actually funded). It could be that ODOT had planned to extend I-240 east, and 118 was a placeholder designation until that could be added in a later Interstate funding bill.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2020, 06:16:36 PM
I don't think it's a mistake–114 and 119 were both commissioned in 1957 (according to uncited information on Wikipedia), so the 118 number fits as being added as part of a block of designations from that time period.

I don't know that 118 was necessarily signed–if I remember correctly, only the part of I-240 west of I-35 was part of the original 1956 Interstate system, and the part east of I-35 was added later. That would explain why I-240 was P&S (it was actually funded). It could be that ODOT had planned to extend I-240 east, and 118 was a placeholder designation until that could be added in a later Interstate funding bill.

You are correct about the eastern part of I-240. IIRC, it was added in the late 60's.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.