News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95 Widening in North Carolina

Started by sprjus4, April 19, 2020, 11:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: architect77 on August 06, 2021, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 04, 2021, 10:49:53 AM
I just re-examined the plan, and I'm finding this harder to believe than earlier:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-95-widening/Documents/preliminary-design-section-b-map-15.pdf

So could you guys explain why a SPUI wouldn't be easier and simpler here?

Having two roundabouts sorta repeats the problem of older interchanges that have two sets of signials on each side of the mainline interstate.

North Carolina seems to have given up on the SPUI, probably due to the cost of constructing the larger structures they require. Haven't seen a new one proposed or constructed in several years since the DDI became à la mode. A SPUI would also be overkill for that interchange, but I am a little surprised at the two-lane bridge and single-lane roundabouts with that traffic forecast and the existing lanes. My guess is an early proposal was massive with a lot of impacts and there was some negative feedback, so they scaled the interchange way back.

This reminds me of a kind of weird proposal on I-26 where the existing three-lane road is maintained, but the revisions include a four-lane overpass and two 1-2 lane "hybrid(?)" roundabouts on either side. Seems like if they had to add the lanes at the bridge to have an acceptable level of service for the interchange in the design year that they would need to widen the road. However, if NC 108 is ever widened in the future (which was originally proposed in the feasibility study), they're stuck with a bridge that's too narrow for a left turn lane (again).

It seems like NC may be starting to scale back on rural projects with borderline volume/capacity issues that 20 years ago would have been a major widening that would probably be a bit excessive for the location and traffic volumes. Which is not surprising with their recent budget woes and the increasing costs of construction and right-of-way, and it is probably long overdue based on some of the wide roads I've driven on in the middle of nowhere.

froggie

^ Those construction costs plus the major hits NCDOT's budget has taken in recent years (between hurricane damage and the Map Act fiasco) would also be a player in why a SPUI wasn't considered at 95/50.  A SPUI would have considerably higher cost due to the large bridge requirements (especially with bridging over 8 lanes of 95).

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on August 07, 2021, 10:21:18 AM
^ Those construction costs plus the major hits NCDOT's budget has taken in recent years (between hurricane damage and the Map Act fiasco) would also be a player in why a SPUI wasn't considered at 95/50.  A SPUI would have considerably higher cost due to the large bridge requirements (especially with bridging over 8 lanes of 95).
The close proximity to South Walton seems like it would spoil the benefits of the SPUI too.

jdunlop

Quote from: architect77 on August 06, 2021, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 04, 2021, 10:49:53 AM
I just re-examined the plan, and I'm finding this harder to believe than earlier:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-95-widening/Documents/preliminary-design-section-b-map-15.pdf

So could you guys explain why a SPUI wouldn't be easier and simpler here?

Having two roundabouts sorta repeats the problem of older interchanges that have two sets of signials on eachhr volume  side of the mainline interstate.

How much more would you want to spend for a SPUI there?  Won't see many SPUIs in NC, the DDI effectively replaces the function for much less cost.

The roundabout on the SB side allowed the multi lane section to be reduced, as the projected volume across the bridge didn't warrant more than single lanes in each direction.

The roundabout on the NB side allowed NC 242 not to have to be relocated given the diamond ramp reconfiguration on that side.

D-Dey65

Quote from: jdunlop on August 10, 2021, 04:36:16 PM
The roundabout on the NB side allowed NC 242 not to have to be relocated given the diamond ramp reconfiguration on that side.
Actually the roundabout on the northbound side relocates 242 towards it, and more importantly (which is the big problem here), too close to the off-ramp from I-95.

froggie

^ Jim (Dunlop) was referring to how 242 would have had to be relocated further away from 95 if a standard diamond ramp intersection was used.  Since he's a (now retired?) engineer, I'd trust his judgement that a roundabout is adequate despite your claims that it is "too close".

jdunlop

Quote from: froggie on August 11, 2021, 08:16:28 AM
^ Jim (Dunlop) was referring to how 242 would have had to be relocated further away from 95 if a standard diamond ramp intersection was used.  Since he's a (now retired?) engineer, I'd trust his judgement that a roundabout is adequate despite your claims that it is "too close".

Don't kick me to the curb yet.  On vacation, but not permanently.

I've pushed to install roundabouts at most Rebuilt interchanges on 95 (and other freeways) to simplify the bridge construction (only two lanes on the bridge rather than needing a turn lane, plus more flexibility with alignment) and also to help with wrong-way drivers.  Rural, unlit interchanges are particularly vulnerable; the roundabouts make it very tough to go the wrong way down a ramp.

froggie

Sorry, Jim.  Been so long since the MTR days that I wasn't sure if you'd retired or not.

The bridge simplification you mention seems in full force with the planned rebuild at 50.  IIRC the current bridge is 5 lanes, but the project layout shows 2 or 3 for the new bridge.  I admit I was a bit surprised myself when I first saw that.

jdunlop

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2021, 12:08:30 AM
Sorry, Jim.  Been so long since the MTR days that I wasn't sure if you'd retired or not.

The bridge simplification you mention seems in full force with the planned rebuild at 50.  IIRC the current bridge is 5 lanes, but the project layout shows 2 or 3 for the new bridge.  I admit I was a bit surprised myself when I first saw that.

No problem - I CAN retire with full benefits; I'm sure some of the consultants out there would like me to!  :-D

I've been trying to get "creative"  with roundabouts, recognizing that it can act as a "hinge"  for a road, meaning you don't need to maintain a straight line through the interchange.  The interchange in Boardman on future I-74 that was just let is an example.  We pushed the roundabout towards the East, so that the bridge can be more perpendicular to I-74, and avoid taking the only gas station in the area.  By doing this, the bridge can be built mostly "off-line"  and maintain the existing at grade intersection.

As mentioned, the roundabouts also allow narrower bridges, as the don't need turn lanes, saving costs.

architect77

Yeah you're right. i didn't think about the large x shape of the overpass like the ones on Capital Blvd at NC98 in Wake Forest. A lot of concrete.

Will one of you NCDOT employees get some new overheads in Raleigh? the sun has beaten them to unreadable status. Not a good look for Apple's next HQs.

cowboy_wilhelm

It looks like the roundabout for the southbound side of the interchange at Exit 79 was scrapped? It's not in the final plans.

I-5986B Roadway Plans Sheet 42

snowc

As a Dunn NC Native, Exit 72 is getting kyboshed in lieu of Exit 73. 73 is going to be split with the old 72.
I got the sign plans if anybody wants them.
Also, tomorrow is the day they start construction so HEADS UP for anybody going for labor day.  :pan:

snowc

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 09, 2021, 08:00:53 AM
The close proximity to South Walton seems like it would spoil the benefits of the SPUI too.
When they realigned Exit 79 in 2005, they killed not only Golden Corral, but Food Lion right next to it.

tolbs17

Quote from: snowc on August 29, 2021, 11:59:56 AM

As a Dunn NC Native, Exit 72 is getting kyboshed in lieu of Exit 73. 73 is going to be split with the old 72.
I got the sign plans if anybody wants them.
Also, tomorrow is the day they start construction so HEADS UP for anybody going for labor day.  :pan:
I was over there a few days ago, and nothing happened. Not sure what they are waiting for... But all I know the Exit 72 interchange will be a dumbbell.

roadman65

Quote from: snowc on August 29, 2021, 12:00:46 PM
When they realigned Exit 79 in 2005, they killed not only Golden Corral, but Food Lion right next to it.

I am sure no one is missing them, especially corporate of the former, as since Covid hit them hard to be closing some locations.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

Unless Google Maps is playing tricks on me, Food Lion is still there beside that exit.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

snowc

Quote from: LM117 on September 12, 2021, 07:25:40 AM

Unless Google Maps is playing tricks on me, Food Lion is still there beside that exit.
Nope. The other FL has turned into a Crossroads church.  :rolleyes:

sprjus4

Was Food Lion "killed"  or did they simply relocate to another site on the other side of the freeway?

snowc

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 12, 2021, 11:32:08 AM
Was Food Lion "killed"  or did they simply relocate to another site on the other side of the freeway?
Relocated to Parrish Drive across the freeway. Did MORE business then the one over by Walton Ave

snowc

Signs are up for NEW exit 73, near exit 71.
Looks like construction is starting for I95 now!  :colorful:

I-55

Quote from: snowc on September 27, 2021, 03:27:31 PM

I don't like how the street name is above the highway shields, who let that happen?
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

tolbs17

Quote from: I-55 on September 27, 2021, 09:11:28 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 27, 2021, 03:27:31 PM

I don't like how the street name is above the highway shields, who let that happen?
This is a split diamond interchange. And because Pope Rd comes first, that street name is above the highway shields. And on southbound I-95, it's vice versa. That sign doesn't look weird to me.

sprjus4

I-95 in Lumberton Will Be Widened, Modernized
QuoteLUMBERTON — A project is moving forward to widen to eight miles and upgrade Interstate 95 through Lumberton, thanks to a new contract.

The N.C. Department of Transportation approved a $432 million contract last week that will make this important stretch of I-95 safer, less congested and more resilient to future storms.

"This modernization is long overdue," said Grady Hunt, a state Transportation Board member who lives in Robeson County. "This vital corridor needs to be widened, but also upgraded to be more resilient against future hurricanes."

The design-build contract went to the Morrisville-based joint venture of Flatiron Constructors Inc. and United Infrastructure Group Inc.

The design-build contracting method is a more efficient way to deliver projects because it combines the design, environmental permitting, property acquisition, utility relocation and construction under one contract. This means the contracting and design team will finalize the design and right-of-way plans before construction can begin next summer.

The project entails widening the four-lane interstate into eight lanes (four lanes in each direction) between Exit 13 and just north of mile marker 21, and replacing bridges with taller, wider and longer spans at Exits 17, 19 and 20. The existing bridges at Exits 13 and 22 are newer and do not need to be replaced, and another contract to be awarded next year will widen the interstate north of mile marker 21.

In addition, the interstate bridges crossing the Lumber River will be replaced with a higher and longer bridge, and fill dirt will be brought in for other sections to raise the interstate grade and help avoid future flooding.

Interstate 95 at the Lumber River (near Exit 19) closed twice for several days from hurricanes Matthew and Florence floodwaters.

Two years ago, the NCDOT received a $22.5 million federal grant, known as the Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) program, to help upgrade the interstate after hurricane flooding. The rest of the money to pay for the project comes from the department's Highway Trust Fund and other federal sources commonly used for highway construction.

By the end of the year, safety improvements will be completed on the existing I-95 concrete median barrier. However, the interstate widening will not begin until next summer, when additional concrete barriers will be installed in the median and along the shoulders to create a safe work zone. The interstate's four lanes will remain open in the daytime during construction; some lanes, however, will be temporarily reduced for overnight construction.

The improvements to these eight miles are scheduled to be completed by the late summer of 2026. Visit this NCDOT project page to learn other details, look at the design maps and watch videos depicting  the scope of work.

The NCDOT is widening other sections of I-95 north of Fayetteville. Go to this corridor page to learn more.

https://twitter.com/NCDOT_Fayville/status/1445858181238906884

tolbs17

^^^^

Did see that and that was posted in the "North Carolina" thread, and it's great news that they are fixing that section! It definitely needs to be done so it can be more resistant to future storms and can hold more traffic.

architect77

I wish someone could quickly highlight the sections of I-95 that are being rebuilt on a map and post.

It would be nice to see how much of the route will be 8 lanes and nice by the end of this decade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.