News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

!

Started by Angelo71, August 08, 2020, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo71

!
!

Mccojm

Assuming bridge inspectors check it frequently due to the moist and salty environment, I'm assuming they haven't found any major issues. If there was major structure integrity compromise, the bridge would have to be repaired immediately or closed to traffic until repaired.  It could be just surface rust though, it's a problem if the rust penetrates and weakens the structure and connections which I think is what happened on the I-35 collapse in Minneapolis
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

AlexandriaVA

Could reduce the bridge complex to a single span in event of emergency repairs, but that'd make for a downright frightening two-way single-span drive.

A more novel way around the problem would be some sort of contingency ferry between Annapolis and Stevensville (although the devil is in the detail).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mccojm on August 10, 2020, 12:44:54 PM
Assuming bridge inspectors check it frequently due to the moist and salty environment, I'm assuming they haven't found any major issues. If there was major structure integrity compromise, the bridge would have to be repaired immediately or closed to traffic until repaired.  It could be just surface rust though, it's a problem if the rust penetrates and weakens the structure and connections which I think is what happened on the I-35 collapse in Minneapolis

MDTA spends a lot of money on paint and rust control, and inspections of both structures that make up the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and all of the components.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.