News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway - Missouri Section

Started by Route66Fan, September 06, 2020, 03:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Using volume 5 of the "1918 Official Automobile Blue Book", I'm starting to map out the Missouri section of the "Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway", from St. Joseph, MO to Hannibal, MO. I've tried mapping out this route before, but I've usually run into a problem between Callao, MO & Macon, MO, due to lakes & other changes. As of this post, I've only mapped out the section from St. Joseph, MO to Chillicothe, MO.
Here is a link to the map.

edwaleni

Quote from: Route66Fan on September 06, 2020, 03:41:12 PM
Using volume 5 of the "1918 Official Automobile Blue Book", I'm starting to map out the Missouri section of the "Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway", from St. Joseph, MO to Hannibal, MO. I've tried mapping out this route before, but I've usually run into a problem between Callao, MO & Macon, MO, due to lakes & other changes. As of this post, I've only mapped out the section from St. Joseph, MO to Chillicothe, MO.

edwaleni

The history of the PPOO Highway can be found here at the Federal Highway Administration website.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/pikes.pdf

According to the history, this route while the shortest transcon route in miles, suffered from inadequate support at the state level to changing minds on routing.

By the time they celebrated the last paving in Missouri in 1931, named routes were phasing out.

edwaleni

Here is the 1926 routing in Missouri.

http://www.ppoo.org/MO.html

This is a good site for looking up info on the PPOO Highway.

http://www.ppoo.org/

edwaleni

Route66Fan

Currently, I am working from on the area from Chillicothe, MO to Hannibal, MO. I've made it as far as just Northwest of Callao, MO.

Scott5114

Quote from: edwaleni on September 06, 2020, 09:44:22 PM
Quote from: Route66Fan on September 06, 2020, 03:41:12 PM

Those are some janky state outlines. Look at Arkansas! Even worse, Kansas!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Yeah, Superior doesn't look superior and every Ohio State alum's dream came true.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ozarkman417

While Arkansas may look messed up, they are happy they got the bootheel back  :-D

Route66Fan

I just finished the rest of the route to Hannibal, MO.

US71

Quote from: Route66Fan on September 08, 2020, 04:44:19 AM

How much of that is actually drive-able? I drove the section from Cameron to Hamilton about 6 or 8 years ago.
(corrected)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on September 09, 2020, 12:47:58 PM
Quote from: Route66Fan on September 08, 2020, 04:44:19 AM

How much of that is actually drive-able? I drove the section from Cameron to Cameron about 6 or 8 years ago.

Looks like a long trip. :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.