News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Has anyone flown since Covid??

Started by OCGuy81, February 22, 2021, 03:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 12:18:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2021, 12:05:06 PM
How about providing him with a rental car and having him drive home? Any interactions he might have with other individuals on his drive home would fall well within allowable thresholds for safe contact with others.

So now you're assuming that (1) he would tell his manager, and that (2) his manager would knowingly provide the means to let n COVID-infected employee travel on a multi-state multi-day road trip, violating all sorts of public health travel orders along the way?

If this employee was stuck at a remote work site and needed to get home, wouldn't it be safer for them to take a solo road trip with limited interactions with others over putting them on a flight with others?

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2021, 05:23:50 PM

I'm guessing those are the rapid tests, which are notorious for false positives. So it's quite likely that those people who "knowingly flew while infected" actually weren't infected.

What an irrational way to rationalize -- to guess that they all got rapid tests and that rapid tests are 100% unreliable.  No, they were not rapid tests and, even if they were, the false positive rate isn't that high with them.

Contrary to popular belief, there are terrible people out there that put their desire to travel above the safety of others by knowingly spreading a deadly disease.

Where did I say that rapid tests are 100 percent unreliable? I didn't. But the fact remains that they report a number of false positives, and if you're getting ready to fly home, you're probably going to get a rapid test instead of the normal two- or three-day test. (I just had a friend who tested positive via a rapid test, who had already had covid once, but the doctor suspected a false positive and ordered the regular test, which resulted in a negative.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2021, 08:17:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 12:18:15 PM
How about providing him with a rental car and having him drive home? Any interactions he might have with other individuals on his drive home would fall well within allowable thresholds for safe contact with others.

So now you're assuming that (1) he would tell his manager, and that (2) his manager would knowingly provide the means to let n COVID-infected employee travel on a multi-state multi-day road trip, violating all sorts of public health travel orders along the way?

If this employee was stuck at a remote work site and needed to get home, wouldn't it be safer for them to take a solo road trip with limited interactions with others over putting them on a flight with others?

I think Kyle's post was meant to illustrate the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" nature of the situation. A company could be found liable if there were records showing they knowingly sent someone with covid through a state that had rules to the contrary.

Of course, actually prosecuting that would probably require the stars to line up just right. Someone with any sort of discretion about it at all would be very hard to detect, and even if one of the states along the way somehow caught on, it would be next to impossible for them to actually seek damages from a company outside their borders.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2021, 08:17:44 PM

Safer, yes. Sufficiently safe to be compliant with public health guidelines, no. The only compliant solution under this circumstance is for the employee to stay quarantined in a hotel local to their current location until medically cleared.

And if the employer is reasonable and has any sense of liability, they would permit the employee to treat their quarantine as an extension of their business trip and expense the cost of lodging and meals accordingly.

On a related note, this very issue is why I have been taking my work laptop on vacation with me when in the past I would not have: this way in the event that I get sick and need to quarantine away from home, I don't have to miss work on account of it (assuming I feel well enough to be working, anyway).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

Quote from: Duke87 on April 21, 2021, 08:58:35 PM
On a related note, this very issue is why I have been taking my work laptop on vacation with me when in the past I would not have: this way in the event that I get sick and need to quarantine away from home, I don't have to miss work on account of it (assuming I feel well enough to be working, anyway).

Not quite the same deal for me.  When my family had to quarantine upon returning from Mexico in March last year, it involved my boss disconnecting my desktop PC (dual monitors and all), gathering papers from my desk, putting everything in a big box, and dropping it off on my front porch.  It's not as simple as toting along a laptop for me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

...which, I assume, wouldn't exactly convenient to lug around with you on vacation just in case you get quarantined.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 01:30:03 PM
...which, I assume, wouldn't exactly convenient to lug around with you on vacation just in case you get quarantined.

I'd survive with just the laptop for those situations.  Just not quite as convenient.  I'm taking the laptop with me on a vacation this summer just so I can work a few hours in the morning and save some PTO.

Chris

CoreySamson

Yes I have. Flew from HOU to MCO and back early November last year. The airports did very well with social distancing and were fairly abandoned (especially the bottom level of MCO), and Southwest at the time was blocking middle seats, I believe, except if your group could occupy all 3 in the row. Plane was about 75-80% full, not exactly a perfect situation, but not horrible either.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kevinb1994

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 23, 2021, 01:46:24 PM
Yes I have. Flew from HOU to MCO and back early November last year. The airports did very well with social distancing and were fairly abandoned (especially the bottom level of MCO), and Southwest at the time was blocking middle seats, I believe, except if your group could occupy all 3 in the row. Plane was about 75-80% full, not exactly a perfect situation, but not horrible either.
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but have you heard of Anime Matsuri and Holiday Matsuri? Our city is coming up with Bold Matsuri and it will begin this summer.

CoreySamson

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 23, 2021, 01:48:36 PM
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but have you heard of Anime Matsuri and Holiday Matsuri? Our city is coming up with Bold Matsuri and it will begin this summer.
No. I'm not into anime.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kevinb1994

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 23, 2021, 01:50:08 PM
No. I'm not into anime.
Okay, it's worth noting that there's more than just that at those conventions, there's also cosplay and other things.

US 89

kevinb1994

Quote from: US 89 on April 23, 2021, 07:31:13 PM
I know this is somewhat off-topic

FTFY
Haha, you got me on that one. Wasn't sure if it was totally appropriate, so I just winged it.

golden eagle

I have not flown in almost five years.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

I haven't flown since probably 2007.  But there's a very slim chance I might be later this year.
Male pronouns, please.

SD Mapman

I did a couple weeks ago; Denver and Omaha were approaching 2019 levels of business.

Quote from: Duke87 on April 21, 2021, 11:33:29 AM
Yeah, that's not surprising at all. Florida seems to be the place to go for people who want to travel and be reckless about it. Part of why, even though I've willingly flown several times in the last year, flying to Florida specifically was still a big nope.
I have a meeting in Florida in July, but I've spent most of the last year in SD, NE, and WY so it's not like I'm coming from a place with health rules.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

STLmapboy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 20, 2021, 09:40:13 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 20, 2021, 09:39:07 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 20, 2021, 09:33:07 PM
Do airlines have passengers sit next to each other during covid?

Yes, at least within the US. And there are more infected people flying than you might think. Some family friends of ours came down with Covid after returning from a trip, and they're 99% sure they got it from the crowded plane. Personally I'm planning to avoid flying until I'm vaccinated.
Me too. They should at least block off the middle seat.
Delta was the last one doing so. They stopped a week ago.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about seat blocking (though I do enjoy the added space).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

dvferyance

I flew home from Tampa back in February. It was one way since a drove with my family on the way down. It was actually the first time I have flown in nearly 10 years.

Angelo71

Yes. I've been to Florida, and I'm going to Jamaica, Mexico, and Siesta Key this year!! In regards to travel, I'm also going to Ocean City and Jellystone.

kkt

The kid flew from Seattle to Virginia and back last June.  Hardly anybody was flying then.  They had the middle seat, with no one in the aisle or window seats and no one in the two rows in front of them or the three rows behind them.  I'm sure the airline was losing its shirt, except for the generosity of Uncle Sam.  I worried anyway, of course, but it was fine.  They're flying again this June but they'll be fully vaccinated by then.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 09:16:51 AM
I haven't flown since probably 2007.  But there's a very slim chance I might be later this year.

Nope, my chance just got so slim as to be thinner than a hair.  Looks like the trip will be driving both ways, and not a flight on the return as was a possibility.
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

I wasn't even a fan of flying before COVID.  My last flight was about seven years ago for a cruise out of Seattle.  I am not getting on a plane anytime soon.  Not so much because of COVID or other health concerns, but because of potential fallout (delayed flights, etc.) due to idiots refusing to comply with established rules.  That's always been a potential risk, but it seems to be happening a lot more lately.

Great Lakes Roads

I haven't flown in 2 years, especially since I and my dad are going to drive everywhere for a little while...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.