News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BGS still using Original Tubular Pillars

Started by Dirt Roads, March 13, 2021, 11:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Reposted from the North Carolina thread

Quote from: fillup420 on March 12, 2021, 01:37:56 PM
The merge area from 86 to 85 south is dangerously short, in my opinion.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0592646,-79.0854366,3a,23.2y,256.38h,86.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sruIVxxWG8rkJVUE2nCTGoA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 13, 2021, 11:33:39 AMOh, while you are looking at this view check out the ancient tubular pillars for that BGS.  There are two BGS and another sign heading northbound that still have original foundations for the tubular pillars.  But this one does not appear to be [the] original pillars.  It looks like they've taken several sets of pillars and welded them together end-to-end with the base up.  Then they mounted the base of another set pillars on top of the lower pillars.  I've been meaning to post this one forever, but I haven't had a chance to get the camera out.

Occidental Tourist

Henry

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 15, 2021, 11:06:45 PM
Is this one of them?

I think that matches the OP's description of them not being the original pillars, but one stacked on top of another.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 15, 2021, 11:06:45 PM
Is this one of them?

I was mistaken, and that one at Exit 170 is the correct one.  Thanks for the screenshot.  This image doesn't do justice to how steep this embankment really is. 

The two BGS in approach to Exit 165 indeed have "normal" tubulars, and there's also one for the Eno River State Park brown sign in approach to Exit 170.  So that's four in this stretch, not three.

Mapmikey

Dirt Roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.