News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Just something random I found #2

Started by cjk374, March 14, 2021, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

I noticed this guy has several videos where he explores former routes. Old 80 is my favorite road in the country...especially since I live on it.

https://youtu.be/V-z9cPme66s
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

That reminds me I need to get that segment of US 80 on my agenda to do this year.  Abandoned stuff is also my thing and lost my photos of that stretch years ago.  I also want to revisit Old Jack Rabbit Trail (former US 60).

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2021, 12:58:53 PM
That reminds me I need to get that segment of US 80 on my agenda to do this year.  Abandoned stuff is also my thing and lost my photos of that stretch years ago.  I also want to revisit Old Jack Rabbit Trail (former US 60).

The only largely unused pieces of US-80 you can get to in a car are Wildwood Glen Rd in Descanso (which is what that picture looks like), a little loop just east of Boulevard, two alignments in Mountain Springs, and a short stub near the west end of CA-98. Grays Wells Rd out toward Yuma is a nice stretch, and it has a fragment of the old plank road on display, but it's basically a busy parking lot for the dunes. There are other pieces you could get to on foot, but I wouldn't want to pull over on the side of I-8 in those places.

As to Old Jack Rabbit Trail, are you sure that was ever signed as US-60? It first shows up in the California Official maps in 1934, and doesn't look like it's on that alignment, although it's hard to tell. I drove it once about 15-20 years ago, and it looked like it never was even as good as the Ridge Route Road. I don't think it was ever concrete.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on March 15, 2021, 05:13:06 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2021, 12:58:53 PM

The only largely unused pieces of US-80 you can get to in a car are Wildwood Glen Rd in Descanso (which is what that picture looks like), a little loop just east of Boulevard, two alignments in Mountain Springs, and a short stub near the west end of CA-98. Grays Wells Rd out toward Yuma is a nice stretch, and it has a fragment of the old plank road on display, but it's basically a busy parking lot for the dunes. There are other pieces you could get to on foot, but I wouldn't want to pull over on the side of I-8 in those places.

As to Old Jack Rabbit Trail, are you sure that was ever signed as US-60? It first shows up in the California Official maps in 1934, and doesn't look like it's on that alignment, although it's hard to tell. I drove it once about 15-20 years ago, and it looked like it never was even as good as the Ridge Route Road. I don't think it was ever concrete.

I'm certain Old Jack Rabbit Trail was part of US 60 given it wasn't replaced until 1937.  It may have been also briefly part of US 70, but that part isn't clear given that I haven't found something in the AASHTO Database to back up what I see on maps.  Anyways, the August 1937 CHPW shows the differences between Old Jack Rabbit Trail and the modernized highway in the Moreno Valley Badlands:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/10/california-state-route-60former-us.html?m=

I used to run Old Jack Rabbit Trail when I worked in Moreno Valley, it definitely is not Old Ridge Route.  Then again it wasn't a State Highway construction to begin with and wasn't adopted into the State System until the 1930s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.