News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VA Turnpike

Started by Angelo71, April 22, 2021, 07:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on April 26, 2021, 09:11:22 AM
Traffic is so bad on 95 from exit 126 to the beltway it really should just become like the NJTP from exit 6 north.
Unfortunately, the only improvements VDOT has planned are HO/T lanes. It will help to some extent, but it's not going to fix things. That area badly needs general purpose expansion to at least 8 lanes. Better yet, an Outer Bypass along the US-301 corridor would go a long way as well, at least allowing through traffic to bypass the region, but that's not happening either.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 25, 2021, 12:19:34 PM
This is correct.  Though I can recall long ago (1970?) before the connection between the southern end of the Maine Turnpike and the northern end of (what is now) I-95 in New Hampshire was made, traffic had to use the road signed as Bypass U.S. 1 to cross the Piscataqua River, and then use the large traffic circle on the outskirts of Portsmouth, N.H. to get to the New Hampshire Turnpike (which was signed as such in those days).

The I-95 Piscataqua River Bridge opened in 1972, so yeah, in 1970 you would have crossed the old Sarah Long Bridge.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

plain

In a way, the RPT could very well have been considered as "VA's Turnpike". While it was only 35 miles long and was eventually also used as a commuter route (especially after I-64 was completed in the area), it definitely was built for and used by long distance traffic, and was one of the key sections of highway for north-south East Coast traffic. Though the toll plazas became major choke points in the last years of tolling, the road drastically reduced the time it took to drive through the region. There are pictures online showing some of the horrendous backups that occurred along US 1/301 before the turnpike opened.

The Belvidere toll plaza wasn't the only one where trucks or even cars slammed into it but it was indeed the most crash prone. All of the mainline plazas (including I-85) were struck at some point or another. The Chippenham EB (SB) ramp toll plaza was also struck at least twice, just going off what I remember. A big problem was where they were situated: around or near curves, as well as at the bottom of hills like what was stated upthread.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 26, 2021, 12:50:46 AM
Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2021, 12:24:45 AM
Existing and proposed toll roads as of 1955.  Wasn't just the Richmond-Petersburg in Virginia.  This map shows active plans/proposals in 25 states at that time.  Of course, the passing of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 the following year made many of these plans/proposals moot.

VDOT makes reference to the aforementioned Old Dominion Turnpike Authority here.  The description suggests that authority was created to build a turnpike along today's I-77 corridor to tie into the WV Turnpike and one that was proposed in North Carolina.

I believe you are correct -  the ODTA was to build a connection between North Carolina and West Virginia, connecting to the West Virginia Turnpike north of Bluefield, though I have never seen any of its reports.

There was also the Coastal Turnpike Authority which was formed in 1950.  It was for building a toll road to Nags Head from Virginia Beach.

See pg. 19 at https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112064104489&view=1up&seq=19&q1=turnpike

sprjus4

A toll road or similar freeway along the NC-168 / US-158 corridor would be incredibly useful to have today, particularly during peak weekends.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 26, 2021, 12:54:29 PM
A toll road or similar freeway along the NC-168 / US-158 corridor would be incredibly useful to have today, particularly during peak weekends.

It would've been along the NC 12 corridor and the still inaccessible part of the coastal barrier island.

Seen a couple maps with dotted lines...

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 26, 2021, 01:10:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 26, 2021, 12:54:29 PM

It would've been along the NC 12 corridor and the still inaccessible part of the coastal barrier island.

Seen a couple maps with dotted lines...

I can't even fathom such a road being built that close to the ocean. I for one am glad that it didn't happen. NC already have enough trouble keeping just regular roads in that area in one piece, especially NC 12.
Newark born, Richmond bred

froggie

^^ The 1965 Southside Transportation Plan shows the then-proposed Virginia Beach terminus in the general vicinity of today's General Booth/Nimmo intersection.  From there it was to head southeast to Sandbridge, then south along the beach.  It would have decimated Sandbridge.

sprjus4

I can't even see that as being feasible back then, but who knows.

If they had proposed such a toll road on something, per se, like today's route, it would've had a better likelihood of actually being built.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Angelo71 on April 22, 2021, 07:33:15 PM
Most states have turnpikes but Virginia doesn't, why and could there be a Virginia Turnpike.

Is the Dulles Toll Road not good enough?  It's longer than the Delaware Turnpike!  Who ever said a state's turnpike has to go through the entire state?  Florida's and Maine's don't.  Kansas's only goes between two adjacent sides of an almost-rectangle.  Indiana's is pretty far from most of Indiana.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SkyPesos

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 28, 2021, 05:09:44 PM
Most states have turnpikes but Virginia doesn't, why and could there be a Virginia Turnpike.

Is the Dulles Toll Road not good enough?  It's longer than the Delaware Turnpike!  Who ever said a state's turnpike has to go through the entire state?  Florida's and Maine's don't.  Kansas's only goes between two adjacent sides of an almost-rectangle.  Indiana's is pretty far from most of Indiana.
For turnpikes that cover the state's population centers well, I'll say that NY is the best at that. Pennsylvania is pretty good too, with the two largest metros and capital covered by the mainline, and two other major metros in the state covered by the Northeast Extension.

If Ohio constructed their second turnpike through the 3C cities, they would be set with their turnpike coverage too.

BrianP

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2021, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 23, 2021, 04:22:06 PM

Also, I'd image Illinois counts not for the Chicago Skyway, but for the ISTHA's Illinois Tollway system.  ;-)

That's fair. The following is the list to which I was referring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnpike

Either way, though, I think my point still stands: There is no way "most states have turnpikes," as the OP said.
I'd say Maryland should be on that list too.  We have a turnpike in everything but name. Heck it was built with the Delaware Turnpike.  And they were opened together. The MDTA considers itself to have two turnpikes.  One is obviously I-95 from Baltimore to Delaware.  The other would be the ICC/MD 200.
QuoteThe MDTA's eight toll facilities-two turnpikes, two tunnels, and four bridges-help keep traffic moving in Maryland.
https://mdta.maryland.gov/About/About_the_MDTA.html
And Indiana's toll road does not have turnpike in it's name either.

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 26, 2021, 09:12:50 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on April 26, 2021, 09:11:22 AM
Traffic is so bad on 95 from exit 126 to the beltway it really should just become like the NJTP from exit 6 north.
Unfortunately, the only improvements VDOT has planned are HO/T lanes. It will help to some extent, but it's not going to fix things. That area badly needs general purpose expansion to at least 8 lanes. Better yet, an Outer Bypass along the US-301 corridor would go a long way as well, at least allowing through traffic to bypass the region, but that's not happening either.

They are studying to see if they can
1) Make the HOT lanes bi-directional
2) Make the shoulder lane in the NON HOT lane section now in use

But yes, at the VERY VERY least the HOT lanes need to be bi-directional to exit 126, and we really need 8 general purpose lanes to Woodbridge.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 28, 2021, 05:09:44 PM

The Dulles Toll road goes through a lot less of the state percentage-wise than any of the other Turnpikes do. Also it's not called the "Virginia Turnpike".
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bluecountry on April 28, 2021, 11:05:29 PM

[snipped]

But yes, at the VERY VERY least the HOT lanes need to be bi-directional to exit 126, and we really need 8 general purpose lanes to Woodbridge.

I strongly disagree.  The 95Express and 395Express were designed and engineered to be reversible and to run in ONE DIRECTION ONLY.  Allowing two-way operation is IMO likely to lead to a lot of head-on crashes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 29, 2021, 10:31:31 AM

[snipped]

I strongly disagree.  The 95Express and 395Express were designed and engineered to be reversible and to run in ONE DIRECTION ONLY.  Allowing two-way operation is IMO likely to lead to a lot of head-on crashes.

Surely what is meant by bi-directional is building a new set of lanes to go with the existing set...

Under no scenario (jersey barrier, striping, whatever) could you make the current lanes bi-directional and still have the same number of lanes operating in a given direction that is present now.

A different solution also being thought about is opening the left and right shoulders of the mainline lanes in the opposite direction of what the Express lanes are doing at any given time.  Doing this would in theory add 2 lanes to gp lanes without triggering a compensation event.   Right off the top of my head I do not know if 95 gp lanes have full width left and right shoulders everywhere in both directions.

sprjus4

[snipped]

A new 2 lane roadway would have to be built parallel to the existing... how would a barrier separation cause head on crashes?

Angelo71

Quote from: BrianP on April 28, 2021, 06:07:03 PM

Also, I'd image Illinois counts not for the Chicago Skyway, but for the ISTHA's Illinois Tollway system.  ;-)

That's fair. The following is the list to which I was referring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnpike

Either way, though, I think my point still stands: There is no way "most states have turnpikes," as the OP said.
I'd say Maryland should be on that list too.  We have a turnpike in everything but name. Heck it was built with the Delaware Turnpike.  And they were opened together. The MDTA considers itself to have two turnpikes.  One is obviously I-95 from Baltimore to Delaware.  The other would be the ICC/MD 200.
QuoteThe MDTA's eight toll facilities-two turnpikes, two tunnels, and four bridges-help keep traffic moving in Maryland.
I know this would never ever happen but Maryland Turnpike should be I-68, and then I-70, then I-695, Then I-95, then I-495 then US-50 until Ocean City.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Angelo71 on April 29, 2021, 01:45:33 PM

I know this would never ever happen but Maryland Turnpike should be I-68, and then I-70, then I-695, Then I-95, then I-495 then US-50 until Ocean City.
I-95 would make more sense as it connects the biggest cities in Maryland.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 03:24:15 PM
I-95 would make more sense as it connects the biggest city in Maryland.

FTFY :-D As noted by BrianP, the JFK Highway segment of I-95 is already the closest thing there is to a Maryland Turnpike. (Granted, if it weren't for the 2 service plazas it would simply appear to be a freeway with a toll bridge...)

But while we're being fictional, I kinda like Angelo71's idea, except maybe tweak it to follow MD 32 between I-70 & I-97. Serves more of MD's regions* like Cumberland, Hagerstown, Frederick, Annapolis, Salisbury, OC (and of course the overall DC/Bmore area).

*worded like this since a lot of MD's most populated cities are DC/Bmore suburbs.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ARMOURERERIC

[snipped]

Or they could employ a zipper barrier like they use on I15 north in San Diego, allows the 4 HOT lanes to be 3 one way and 1 in the opposite direction or 2 and 2

Angelo71

Well mine connects the far western reaches to Baltimore and then to Ocean City. Using I-95 would leave Delmarvans and people in the west unconnected.

sprjus4

Quote from: Angelo71 on April 30, 2021, 08:20:28 PM

Well mine connects the far western reaches to Baltimore and then to Ocean City. Using I-95 would leave Delmarvans and people in the west unconnected.
I-95 north of Baltimore was the original "Maryland Turnpike". I-68 connecting west of I-70 wasn't even conceived until the late 1960s and wasn't finished and designated until 1991.

1995hoo

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 30, 2021, 07:40:09 PM

[snipped]

Or they could employ a zipper barrier like they use on I15 north in San Diego, allows the 4 HOT lanes to be 3 one way and 1 in the opposite direction or 2 and 2

There would have to be two of those zipper machines and they would have to cover an extremely long distance; alternatively, they'd need a heck of a lot of zipper machines. The reversible carriageway on I-95/I-395 is around 37 miles long at present (around 27 miles on I-95 plus around 10 miles on I-395), plus another 10-mile southern extension currently under construction. Not something that lends itself to zipper barriers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Straying into fictional territory, but I do think a zipper setup might work on a shorter section of 95...I'm thinking Woodbridge to Springfield.  South of Woodbridge (really Prince William Pkwy), there's more room in the median so better able to build two express carriageways.  Likewise, north of Springfield I don't think anything bigger than what exists would work.

Downside of having express lanes in both directions is you'd by standard need to have at least one semi-full paved shoulder on each side.  That would be tough to do through Newington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.