Your State's Geographically Extreme Traffic Lights

Started by Caps81943, May 08, 2021, 10:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Based on the state of Indiana's point, the centermost light is at US 421 and Willow Rd in Boone County.

Based on the USGS point, it's at US 36 and CR 525 E in Hendricks County.

Not sure why their points don't match.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 10, 2021, 07:00:45 AM
Based on the state of Indiana's point, the centermost light is at US 421 and Willow Rd in Boone County.

Based on the USGS point, it's at US 36 and CR 525 E in Hendricks County.

Not sure why their points don't match.
Counting water and not counting water?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

North: Warwick Tpk at Lackshore Dr in West Milford. (Tough one to figure out...not many traffic lights as you approach NJ's northern-most point.)

East: 9W at the ramp for the Palisades Parkway, Closter

South: The southern most traffic light is actually a flashing light: South Broadway at Beach Ave. In Cape May

Actual functional traffic light: Beach Ave & Jackson St, Cape May

West: Again, a flashing yellow light at a sharp curve on Broadway in Pennsville near a side street that leads you down to a restaurant by the Delaware River. And what makes it more unusual: The flashing light is only for the main road. There's no flashing red for the side road, as it's a one way road away from Broadway. (Also to note...not the same Broadway that's in Cape May.)

Actual functional traffic light: Broadway and 1st Ave, Pennsville

JayhawkCO

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 09, 2021, 10:53:08 PM
How do you guys find out? Do you just go to the extremes of your state and use GSV and look for it?

Yep.  Obviously it helps to have a good idea where it might be.  For those of us with rural areas near the extremes of our states, it's easier to know which cities might have one.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 09:45:32 PM
I wonder which northernmost/southernmost/easternmost/westernmost traffic light in a state is furthest from that state's northernmost/southernmost/easternmost/westernmost point?

Obviously Alaska would win for sure for Northern, Southern, and Western.  I would assume Eastern it would take the cake too.

Edit - Looks like western might be beaten by Hawai'i.

I just updated my Colorado entry above with the most central as well as the highest and lowest.  I didn't include any "temporary" lights at the Eisenhower tunnel.  Just typical, fully-functioning red, yellow, and green signals.

Chris

andrepoiy

Ontario, using just GSV, so I might not be correct:

Southernmost: Kingsville, ON
https://goo.gl/maps/9sHLymnRRDZBapXWA

Northernmost: Too lazy to look haha

Easternmost: Lancaster ON
https://goo.gl/maps/k5KYjBop68jmx7tE6

Westernmost: Kenora, ON
https://goo.gl/maps/kdyFxsV7z62tMsBN7

JayhawkCO

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 10, 2021, 12:20:58 PM

I have a strong suspicion that your Kenora entry for your westernmost is also your northernmost.

Looks like it's in Dryden.

Looks like he found one even farther north.

Chris

CoreySamson

A couple for Texas:
Southernmost: Actually a pedestrian crossing signal on University Blvd in Brownsville. If that doesn't count, then the southmost traffic signal ironically lies at the intersection of Southmost Blvd and Esperanza Rd.
Westernmost: TX-178 @ Westside Dr, El Paso
Northernmost: US 83 @ TX-15, Perryton
Easternmost: US 90B @ 8th Street, Orange
Centermost: Looks like US 190/377 @ FM 714, Brady
BONUS: Closest Traffic Light to the Gulf of Mexico: Seawall Blvd @ 14th St, Galveston
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

andrepoiy

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 10, 2021, 12:25:19 PM

I have a strong suspicion that your Kenora entry for your westernmost is also your northernmost.

Chris

Actually found one more north, Red Lake, Ontario.

https://goo.gl/maps/ApyhuN1mvrXs6sgEA

JayhawkCO

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 10, 2021, 12:49:44 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on May 10, 2021, 12:25:19 PM

Chris

Actually found one more north, Red Lake, Ontario.

https://goo.gl/maps/ApyhuN1mvrXs6sgEA

Nice find.  I didn't even try any of the smaller towns.

Chris

TheGrassGuy

Northernmost (possibly highest altitude too): NJ-23 and Loomis Ave (CR-639) in Sussex
Southernmost: Beach Ave (CR-604) and Perry St in Cape May
Westernmost: 1st St, River Drive Ave, South Broadway (NJ-49), and William Penn Ave in Pennsville
Easternmost: Palisades Ave (US-9W) and the northbound PIP ramps in Alpine
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Evan_Th

I wonder which northernmost/southernmost/easternmost/westernmost traffic light in a state is furthest from that state's northernmost/southernmost/easternmost/westernmost point?

I'll guess Alaska.

For westernmost, it's definitely either Alaska or Hawaii.  It's ~1300 miles from Kure Atoll to Honolulu.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 10, 2021, 12:08:29 PM
Obviously Alaska would win for sure for Northern, Southern, and Western.  I would assume Eastern it would take the cake too.
Actually, if you want to get super nerdy, it definitely wins the crown for easternmost. Looks like Hawai'i beats Alaska for western.

Alaska:
Westernmost: Kodiak - 952 miles from the westernmost longitude
Northernmost: Fairbanks - 453 miles from the northernmost latitude
Southernmost & Easternmost: Ketchikan - 282 miles from southernmost latitude, 1876 miles from the easternmost longitude (in the eastern hemisphere), 64 miles from the easternmost longitude (in the western hemisphere)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Evan_Th on May 10, 2021, 01:00:44 PM

I'll guess Alaska.

For westernmost, it's definitely either Alaska or Hawaii.  It's ~1300 miles from Kure Atoll to Honolulu.

Looks like the westernmost traffic light in Hawai'i is in Lihue, Kauai.

1,214 miles between lines of longitude.

Chris

bassoon1986

Louisiana

Northernmost:
US 371 at LA 157 in Springhill
I so wanted it to be Junction City but it's obvious that's an Arkansas signal.

Southernmost:
I think it's LA 3235 at LA 3162 in Galliano. I'm not counting canal bridges or it may be somewhere further south along LA 1

Westernmost:
US 84 at 2nd St in Logansport

Easternmost:
US 190 at LA 1090 on the east side of Slidell

Centermost:
LA 1 at LA 451 in Moreauville
The center is approximately 5 miles away in a portion of the Spring Bayou State Wildlife Management Area.

Highest Elevation:
My guess is US 80 at LA 519 in Arcadia. A topographical map I found online says elevation is right around 400 feet. The highest point in LA is not far from here. Unless another town has a random spike between 400 and 500 feet in elevation Arcadia takes it.

Lowest elevation:
Fun fact...a lot of New Orleans is below sea level. I found a few spots on the same topo map and there's way too much of New Orleans to try and find the lowest. So I'll pick one. Alvar at Chickasaw Streets in the 9th Ward. Map says -4 feet.

iPhone

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mrsman

Can I do DC? I live close to the border and it is probably easy to find the answer.

Per the constitution, DC is a "10 mile square" which means 10 miles by 10 miles.  It is actually shaped like a square, but tilted so that the northernmost, southernmost, easternmost, and westernmost points are actually the vertices or the square.  The square used to extend to both sides of the Potomac, but the part to the west has retroceded back to VA and is now Arlington and Alexandria, but their counties largely are still shaped like the square.  The boundaries of the square on the DC side of the river are actually streets, and they generally have decent traffic on them and some traffic signals.  The northwestern boundary is called Western Ave, the norhteastern boundary is called Eastern Ave, and the southeastern boundary is called Southern Ave.  (The southwestern boundary is the river.)

Northernmost signal is at Blair Circle where 16th, Eastern, Colesville, and North Portal converge on the Silver spring border:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9919707,-77.0361455,3a,75y,41.79h,82.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sriieZlEhiY7ounTSShCjkg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DriieZlEhiY7ounTSShCjkg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D347.8569%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

More on this circle at this post:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=714.msg2545179#msg2545179

Easternmost signal: Southern at Banks Pl:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8919179,-76.9105812,3a,75y,33.73h,71.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9kIX_p5DhC0uDa6navtZ1g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Southernmost signal: Southern at S Capitol

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8213211,-77.0013419,3a,75y,198.71h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQAdxyMrZRQp9FAlZ8SbEGQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DQAdxyMrZRQp9FAlZ8SbEGQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D194.78265%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Westernmost signal: Chain Bridge at Clara Barton Pkwy:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9304761,-77.1118438,3a,75y,168.03h,100.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk6B6o1K8bh9hFAAKDhppYg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

JayhawkCO

barcncpt44

Just by looking at Google Satellite View:

Alabama:

North: Main Street (AL-53) at Ardmore Ave. Ardmore
South: Beach Blvd. (AL-182) at W 6th Street Gulf Shores
East: Whitewater Ave at 13th Street Phenix City
West: Looks like US 98 at Wilmer Road Wilmer

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

US 89

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: GaryV on May 09, 2021, 07:05:21 AM
Michigan:

Easternmost - has to be in Port Huron; probably Military/Huron intersection with Quay
Westernmost - Ironwood, probably US-2, but maybe there's something south of the highway in town that's a little farther west.
Northernmost - I believe it would be in Calumet on US-41.
Southernmost - This is the hardest.  Somewhere along the Ohio border near Toledo or Sylvania?  (Sylvania is a little farther south, but not as built up on the MI side of the border opposite it.)

My guess for southernmost would be in Morenci, MI.

renegade

Michigan:

Easternmost - has to be in Port Huron; probably Military/Huron intersection with Quay
Westernmost - Ironwood, probably US-2, but maybe there's something south of the highway in town that's a little farther west.
Southernmost - This is the hardest.  Somewhere along the Ohio border near Toledo or Sylvania?  (Sylvania is a little farther south, but not as built up on the MI side of the border opposite it.)
I can attest that the most southeastern signal was on M-125 (S Dixie Hwy) at Benore Rd, maybe 20 yards or so from the Ohio border,  but that one was removed a few years ago.  The signal at M-125 and Sterns Rd is probably the most southeastern one now.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

KCRoadFan

My guesses for Missouri.

Southernmost: Caruthersville or Kennett
Easternmost: probably Charleston
Westernmost: Tarkio or Rock Port
Northernmost: Not sure, most likely some town along US 136. (Rock Port? Tarkio? Unionville? Memphis?) Do either Grant City (on US 169) or Eagleville (on US 69/I-35) have a traffic light, by chance?

As for the most central: I read that the state's geographic center is somewhere in Miller County, so the nearest traffic light is probably in Eldon, or somewhere near Lake of the Ozarks.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: renegade on May 18, 2021, 04:57:18 PM
Michigan:

I can attest that the most southeastern signal was on M-125 (S Dixie Hwy) at Benore Rd, maybe 20 yards or so from the Ohio border,  but that one was removed a few years ago.  The signal at M-125 and Sterns Rd is probably the most southeastern one now.

Or US-24 & Smith Road.  One's more south than the other, and the other is more east than the first.

renegade

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on May 21, 2021, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: renegade on May 18, 2021, 04:57:18 PM
Michigan:

Or US-24 & Smith Road.  One's more south than the other, and the other is more east than the first.
Close call.  I grew up less than a mile from both, but neither was there when I lived there.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

epzik8

Maryland:

Northernmost: The northernmost light of any kind is this two-way stop at MD 136 and MD 624 in Whiteford (flashing yellow for MD 136, flashing red for MD 624 augmented by stop signs); the northernmost full light is 
at MD 165 and MD 136, also in Whiteford
Southernmost: US 13 and US 113 in Pocomoke City
Easternmost: MD 528 and 142nd street in Ocean City
Westernmost: The westernmost light of any kind is this four-way flasher at US 50 and US 219 in Redhouse; the westernmost full light is at US 219 and Oak Street in Oakland
Centermost: US 301 at Harbour Way/Governor Bridge Road in Bowie
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.