News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What do you dislike on your section of road you've been on the most?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 10, 2021, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 20, 2021, 03:51:25 PM
The "road I've been on the most" would be neighborhood streets, so I will instead use the nearest arterial road for my answer.

Aggressive drivers.
People going straight from left-turn-only lanes.
People who drive in the center lane or the left lane but who want to turn right and expect everyone else to know that and to get out of their way.
People who use the right-turn-only lane to try to cut the line at the red light to go straight ahead.
People who want to speed everywhere else but for some reason want to go 35 mph in a 45-mph zone on this road.
People with no lane discipline when turning at lights with dual turn lanes.
Lack of crosswalks on two sides of the largest intersection.
An annoying manhole cover I always try to avoid.
Potholes at the intersection with the Beltway interchange.
One left-turn lane that isn't long enough for the large trucks that use it to reach an industrial area, so they stick out into thru traffic.
An unnecessary left-turn lane that duplicates a right-side loop ramp; the resulting green arrow reduces green time for thru traffic coming the other way.

If we're going to define "road" to include one's own street, then the overriding issue is that the street gets used as access to the local school complex, including (a) a public middle school (b) a public high school, and (c) a K-12 Christian school immediately adjacent to (a) and (b).  All three seem to have a high number of "helicopter parents" who take their kids to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon; but I live one house away from where my street intersects a major arterial, and these parents always seem to be in a rush and wheel around the corner like it's the "bus stop" turn at Sonoma Raceway -- if I have occasion to park on the street in front of my residence, getting out on the drivers' side can be a harrowing experience; I've almost had my ass (and my car door) handed to me more than once by a driver screeching around the corner at 40-45 (arterial speed limit is 35 and the side street is 25 -- yeah, right!).  SUV's seem to be the worst offenders, although Teslas are starting to make their mark in this regard.  Had about 9 months of break when the schools were shut down in favor of home online classes -- but they reopened for the spring quarter, so the speed parade continues.  The city has started working on the street (repaving), so if that becomes an obstacle and the offenders take an alternate route, another short reprieve is in sight.  But since it's been announced that most middle/high school students will be platooned in school during summer months to make up for lost time (particularly the AP types, who make up a big percentage of the local school cohort), the return of the speedway will likely continue throughout the summer (which, prior to 2020, was a decided break in the routine).  It's gonna be fun...............  :ded:

DandyDan

I will use the roads I use to get to work. I would be tempted to say lack of scenery, as I go through the industrial area of Mason City and then it's flat once I leave Mason City and go to Clear Lake. However, the real problem is sometimes there are trains at the one crossing, and they block traffic for seemingly longer than should be permitted. Not to mention trains have a 25 mph limit in Mason City. However, CP has a siding immediately east of the one crossing I use and they love to use it for storage and it alters traffic for too long. The only other issue I have is that on SW 19th Street, they have a bridge where the speed limit is 30 while the rest of the urbanized part of the road is 35.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.