News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

barrier mounted "period of operation" signs on priced managed lanes

Started by jrouse, May 14, 2021, 06:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrouse

Section 2G.05 of the MUTCD discusses Periods of Operation Regulatory Signs for preferential lanes.  These are the post mounted signs  that display the diamond symbol and the legend "LEFT LANE" on top followed by the legend "HOV 2+ ONLY" and the hours of operation.  The R3-11 series of signs are post mounted versions of these signs.

I'm curious as to why there is no equivalent to these signs for priced managed lanes in the MUTCD.  Does any other state DOT or toll agency use something like that?

Paragraph 1 of Section 2G.17 states: "Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of Sections 2G.03 through 2G.07 regarding regulatory signs for Preferential lanes shall apply to priced managed lanes operated at all times or at certain times with a toll payment requirement of some or all vehicles to use the lane(s)." 

Paragraph 6 of Section 2G.17 states, "A priced managed lane Periods of Operation (R3-44 or R3-44a) sign (see Figure 2G-17) shall be
installed at the beginning or initial entry point, and at any intermediate entry points where vehicles are allowed to legally enter an access-restricted priced managed lane."

Figure 2G-17 of the MUTCD does not show any sort of barrier mounted signs similar to the R3-11 series of signs shown in Figure 2G-1.

So does this mean that post mounted "period of operation" signs are not required for priced managed lanes? 

Here in California we are using these signs.  They look like this:
https://earth.google.com/web/@37.41006669,-121.9952848,3.35097122a,0d,60y,-179.3287h,84.7385t,0r/data=IhoKFlpSMHluc3NhbGJzU3lmWXdGcnRIWWcQAg?utm_source=earth7&utm_campaign=vine&hl=en

Like I said above I'm not able to find anything similar on priced managed lanes in other states.  It appears that other states just use the overhead R3-44 or R3-44a. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.