News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Dogs and doorbells

Started by texaskdog, May 27, 2021, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Our dog barks at every doorbell she hears.  I thought the worst show for doorbells was Two and a Half Men.  Now I've been watching One Day at a Time reruns and there has to be a half dozen for every show.  I wish they could just knock on doors.

Anyone else got any bad ones?

WillWeaverRVA

Our dogs sometimes bark at doorbell sounds. The funny thing is that they should not know what doorbells even mean as they've never lived anywhere one could be used (first in a condo where no one ever rang the doorbell, then in an apartment, then in a house without a working doorbell).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Max Rockatansky

My wife has taught our dogs that the doorbell means that she is home.  They get excited and it annoys the hell out of me. 

Bruce

A good chunk of my delivery orders include requests to not knock/ring the doorbell because of dog noise, but they still notice me at the door anyway.

texaskdog

Quote from: Bruce on May 27, 2021, 09:53:39 PM
A good chunk of my delivery orders include requests to not knock/ring the doorbell because of dog noise, but they still notice me at the door anyway.

I hate that because with the prevelance of stolen packages these days and we're home and they don't even knock.  We once had a computer stolen from our doorstep while we were at home because the driver didn't knock.

ErmineNotyours

Our family dog barked at our doorbell, and we noticed that the doorbell in The Simpsons and in an aspirin commercial was also the same pitch and set her off.  Especially in the case of the commercial, if we knew it was coming up we would get ready to tease her about it.

I had a $30 import CD stolen from my doorstep when I was home because the delivery driver didn't knock.  I hope the thief got a good price for it.

texaskdog

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 28, 2021, 12:49:00 AM
Our family dog barked at our doorbell, and we noticed that the doorbell in The Simpsons and in an aspirin commercial was also the same pitch and set her off.  Especially in the case of the commercial, if we knew it was coming up we would get ready to tease her about it.

I had a $30 import CD stolen from my doorstep when I was home because the delivery driver didn't knock.  I hope the thief got a good price for it.

It's maddening.  Just knock or ring my bell!!!  We got a refund on the computer but it was ridiculous since we were actually home. 

Takumi

I don't have a doorbell, so my dog doesn't know what they are or what they mean when they come on TV.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ethanhopkin14

Our dog barks at the Denny's commercial every time where they say something about delivery and a doorbell rings.  It got so bad that when I saw it come on, I muted the TV.  Funny thing is, no one really comes over to ring the doorbell, so just the one or two times it has happened in her life, she remembers that as intruders coming over. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Takumi on May 28, 2021, 10:03:24 AM
I don't have a doorbell, so my dog doesn't know what they are or what they mean when they come on TV.

Neither do we, yet our dog goes bonkers and heads right to the front door when he hears one on TV. I don't get it!!

MCRoads

Quote from: texaskdog on May 27, 2021, 10:44:29 PM

I hate that because with the prevelance of stolen packages these days and we're home and they don't even knock.  We once had a computer stolen from our doorstep while we were at home because the driver didn't knock.

This. I had $200 of film stolen from the front porch because they didn't give any indication that the package was delivered. Enjoy your Kodak Portra 400, asshole.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Scott5114

My dog barks so rarely it's a remarkable event when it does happen. Even when someone rings the bell, she will go to full alert mode (so we know something's up), ears perked, staring at the door, but she doesn't bark.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

My cat won't stir when there's a doorbell or knock on TV, but when it happens in real life he's the first one to the door to investigate.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2021, 01:36:58 AM
My dog barks so rarely it's a remarkable event when it does happen. Even when someone rings the bell, she will go to full alert mode (so we know something's up), ears perked, staring at the door, but she doesn't bark.

Wanna trade?

texaskdog

Quote from: MCRoads on May 30, 2021, 05:56:11 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 27, 2021, 10:44:29 PM

This. I had $200 of film stolen from the front porch because they didn’t give any indication that the package was delivered. Enjoy your Kodak Portra 400, asshole.

A lot of them take pictures.  Why can't they take the same amount of time to at least knock? 

texaskdog

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 28, 2021, 10:43:20 AM
Our dog barks at the Denny's commercial every time where they say something about delivery and a doorbell rings.  It got so bad that when I saw it come on, I muted the TV.  Funny thing is, no one really comes over to ring the doorbell, so just the one or two times it has happened in her life, she remembers that as intruders coming over. 

I also hate alarm clocks.  Any company that has one on a commercial is dead to me.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: texaskdog on June 07, 2021, 01:57:53 PM
I also hate alarm clocks.  Any company that has one on a commercial is dead to me.

Throw in commercials with common phone ringtones while you're at it.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GaryV

And commercials on the radio with sirens.  Don't they even think about what that does to drivers?

allniter89

We used to order tp from the internet. My much much much better half :bigass:was home but the deliveery guy didnt knock so when I came home many hours later there was a large box of tp & paper towels on the porch. It was completely soaked & weighed a ton, the cardboard boxs fell apart when I tried to move them to the garage. Usually they wrap packages in a large plastic bag. The delivery guy said "but it was a sunny day". Most FL people know most days we get afternoon t-storms. I took a picure of the mess and a few days later we got replacements free & the new guy knocked on the door, no doorbell here. And they have a new policy, either knock on the door or put all packages in a bag no matter the weather.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

lepidopteran

Reminds me of how a radio station used to announce the traffic reports with a too-realistic sound of a car horn honking. (Some commercials did this too.) They even used one stereo channel to make it sound like the honk was coming from a particular direction.  The station quit doing that a while ago, since hearing such a clear, directed sound while driving could be, er, unsafe?  Methinks some listeners complained, perhaps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.