News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which stovetop burner do you use the most?

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, June 09, 2021, 12:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which burner do use like the most?

Left Front
12 (48%)
Left Back
1 (4%)
Right Front
9 (36%)
Right Back
2 (8%)
I use stove top stuffing only.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: June 19, 2021, 12:18:44 AM

Hot Rod Hootenanny

First burner you use when you're cooking (or primary if multiple items)
Microwaves, toaster ovens, or "don't cook" won't be counted.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Rothman

Bottom right.  It's one of the bigger ones.  Don't use big pots on small burners.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Left front because it's the closest to the largest portion of the counter, thus making it easiest to move stuff from the counter to the pan.

Right front would be second-most. It's the "dual zone" burner (can be set to use a smaller interior section or the whole burner).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Left front because it's closest to the microwave and is also the hottest burner for some reason.

GaryV

Right front is the "turbo" burner.

Now, how many times do I turn on the correct burner the first try?  That's a whole 'nother question.

kphoger

I heard this on the radio a couple of years ago:  You know you're an adult if you have a favorite burner.

I voted 'Right Front', because it's one of the large burners but is slightly smaller than the biggest.  More often than not, I'm heating up a tea kettle or medium-sized pan of some sort, so I prefer less of the heat to escape into the room around the side.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

Both front burners, I usually end up cooking two dishes on stovetop most nights for dinner
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on June 09, 2021, 08:26:56 AM
Now, how many times do I turn on the correct burner the first try?  That's a whole 'nother question.

I have a hard time translating a vertically-aligned diagram to a a flat cooktop–that is, it's a struggle for me to know which dot corresponds to which burner.  So I made simple masking-tape labels by the knobs with arrows drawn and 'FRONT' or 'REAR' written on the tape in Sharpie.

When I was in high school, some of us in the church youth group were cooking a meal in the church kitchen.  I was kind of unfamiliar with gas stoves, and I was trying to figure out why a certain rear burner wouldn't light.  I was leaning over, looking at it, trying and trying.  Then I mistakenly turned on the front burner while I was leaning over, and it singed my eyebrows and bangs off.  Oops.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Left front, because it's the closest. Then left rear, because my two right side burners are covered with pots and pans.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on June 09, 2021, 10:01:34 AM
Left front, because it's the closest. Then left rear, because my two right side burners are covered with pots and pans.

If they're already covered with pots and pans, then you should use THOSE!   :spin:
Male pronouns, please.

ozarkman417

/ \    / \   
\ /    \ /

/ \    / \
\ /    \ /

index

Right front is my favorite. It's where my dominant hand is and I don't have to reach.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

Right front, just out of habit. In the rare event I need both, left front is my second option. I don't know that I've ever used either of the rear burners in my current house, and now that I think about, I don't know if I did in any previous house, either.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jmacswimmer

Front left, because there is more countertop space left of our stove than there is to the right.  When my fiancée & I cook together and handle different parts of the meal, I'm usually the one that gets pushed over to the front right :-D

Only time I really use the back burners is for sauce, since our front 2 burners are the power burners.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Brandon

Right front as it's the power burner with the simmer burner directly behind it.  It works great to boil water fast.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

What the heck is a "power burner"?  Do three out of your four burners underperform?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, two of my burners have a "MELT" setting at the bottom of the dial, implying they can get less hot than the other two. Why is that a thing that only two of the burners have?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Right front, because the left side has the toaster and other junk nearby on the counter. Being right-handed probably factors in somehow as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MCRoads

Left front, as it is close to the countertops we use to prep stuff, and the sink. Our stove is on an island, which kind of sucks, because if I need to take a pot to the sink, stuff from the pot is going on the floor. It's inevitable.

But, this also poses a problem: it absolutely will NOT light on its own. We just use a BBQ lighter to light it.

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2021, 09:48:03 AM

SNIP!

When I was in high school, some of us in the church youth group were cooking a meal in the church kitchen.  I was kind of unfamiliar with gas stoves, and I was trying to figure out why a certain rear burner wouldn't light.  I was leaning over, looking at it, trying and trying.  Then I mistakenly turned on the front burner while I was leaning over, and it singed my eyebrows and bangs off.  Oops.

You are not the only one who has singed their hair on a gas stove. Getting used to the stove controls for the first gas stove I ever used (controls were at the rear of the stove, past the burners) was a multi-singe process. Who tf even thought putting the burner controls in the rear of the unit, past the burners, on a GAS STOVE was a good idea?!?!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2021, 09:48:03 AM
Quote from: GaryV on June 09, 2021, 08:26:56 AM

I have a hard time translating a vertically-aligned diagram to a a flat cooktop–that is, it's a struggle for me to know which dot corresponds to which burner.  So I made simple masking-tape labels by the knobs with arrows drawn and 'FRONT' or 'REAR' written on the tape in Sharpie.

I once accidentally stuck my arm in a lit bunsen burner during high school chemistry class. It didn't hurt at all, but the whole room smelled due to the hair on my arm getting singed. Then one of the girls asked the teacher (who had seen what happened) what the smell was and she said, "Just burning hair, no big deal," which of course freaked out the girls because they assumed it meant the hair on someone's head.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Left front as it has a larger coil surface.

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2021, 01:04:05 PM
What the heck is a "power burner"?  Do three out of your four burners underperform?

No, just more flames on a larger burner disc. Speeds up cooking/boiling

Clinched:

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on June 10, 2021, 09:23:26 AM

But my question is this:  why don't the other burners have more flame too?
Male pronouns, please.

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2021, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: ET21 on June 10, 2021, 09:23:26 AM

But my question is this:  why don't the other burners have more flame too?

Regular burners, you could modify them to have a larger burner disc. But stovetops these days have three regular burners and one power burner

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.