News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DFW Loop 9 Tollway Highway - development updates and news topic

Started by TheBox, June 10, 2021, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBox

Wake me up when development of Loop 9 begins

https://www.waxahachietx.com/news/20180829/loop-9-to-create-greater-connectivity-new-economic-opportunities-in-northern-ellis-county

I'm betting it'll be a Tollway/Toll Road, cause it can't be a new DFW highway without it being a Tollway, right?
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

sprjus4

The bottom attachment indicates it would be a "tollway" .

TheBox

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 10, 2021, 10:43:16 PM
The bottom attachment indicates it would be a "tollway" .
i know that, as i looked up the image after i made the quote in the OP (original post)
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

silverback1065

Why the hell do they need this? In 50 years they'll be proposing their 30th loop thinking that's going to somehow solve their traffic problem.

Pixel 5

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 10, 2021, 10:52:00 PM
Why the hell do they need this? In 50 years they'll be proposing their 30th loop thinking that's going to somehow solve their traffic problem.

Pixel 5
The northern portion is needed yesterday, particularly along US-380.

This is what happens when you don't build infrastructure and growth still comes. You need these roads to keep up, which is why it's proposed.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: TheBox on June 10, 2021, 10:41:25 PM

I'm betting it'll be a Tollway/Toll Road, cause it can't be a new DFW highway without it being a Tollway, right?

Wake up!
TxDOT receives bids next month for an estimated $101 million contract for new frontage roads between IH-35E and IH-45 south of Dallas. Plans are posted on the TxDOT website.
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2021/dallas.htm#296410008

In north Collin County, a section of frontage road for the Collin Country outer loop has been open for several years. Right-of-way acquisition for the section from US 75 to the Dallas North Tollway is in progress. See details
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Jwdx1iubx2unUZRRHnREtHrPaWF11p-eq0f5KnnXBP5lgYGSRx-NK7-bm8FC6OHW74A2TMBtzwA1Q6gKiDdAuP04rPmTUFMI5w0pbDQ5fv0aq_4hLxnwrYfcJl3P6CzwAl2e_lOUZkrnkOuRWagrAvx3OGEC-svOepF5wwYd_gl06fdHK-XVUQOqHaabH2c9bi_6veZFvXoNImFVxN7m_CYIxQSVDkMelpIwt-7TiwHREUH4tXViGSKk_PeWONZQ0AxDLh5LMBV9FbUmhFpgcSSj1N6YFu8AJO_3Sb0Gg7aLB_DOm6yK6w==&c=XiZyaTpGeXqloNW5n4eXnynUEKmLbaYJzr1aphUq_FmBr1ajdojT2A==&ch=abZxvBXzI_1B-4Esg22Ih_rGva6PxdFOMuj_2rt3KnDUuapFPKMqWg==

The current plan is for Loop 9 to be toll free, but of course that could change in the future.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

In_Correct

QuoteI'm betting it'll be a Tollway / Toll Road, cause it can't be a new DFW highway without it being a Tollway, Right?

Right.

QuoteThe bottom attachment indicates it would be a “Tollway”.

Good.

QuoteWhy the hell do they need this?

Toll Roads are necessary.

QuoteThis is what happens when you don’t build infrastructure and growth still comes. You need these roads to keep up, which is why it’s proposed.

That is one reason why Toll Roads are necessary. The traffic doubles by the time they have their first meeting planning them.

QuoteThe current plan is for Loop 9 to be toll free, but of course that could change in the future.

I hope they change in future.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

sprjus4

^

What is the major benefit of toll roads over free roads that you are heavily advocating for?

I think Texas is getting away from the toll road trend overall though... which is a good thing. It's a miracle San Antonio has avoided the tolling era all together.

silverback1065

hotdogPi

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 11, 2021, 08:18:47 AM
sprawl continues

Sprawl continues regardless of whether there's a freeway there or not. Look at Tucson and the northern suburbs of Atlanta.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

In_Correct

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 11, 2021, 02:57:17 AM
^

What is the major benefit of toll roads over free roads that you are heavily advocating for?

I think Texas is getting away from the toll road trend overall though… which is a good thing. It’s a miracle San Antonio has avoided the tolling era all together.

In addition to my earlier post, Free Roads are not exactly Free. They require Various Taxes which people like to Nit Pick about over and over again. At the same time they do not ever complain about the silly U.S.P.S., and also The Rival Heavier Than Air Craft People. Both places are much more "Burdens Of Grandchildren", yet the only fuss is about Road, Rail, Bridges, and Tunnels. People even want them removed (!) despite being Necessary Traffic Control.  "Corrupt" Toll Agencies That Keep The Roads Tolled provide maintenance and upgrades and expansions and extensions of more Roads even if they are Tolled.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

sprjus4

From my experience, people tend to complain about both, but more so tolls than taxes, especially in the long run. I'd rather see a tax increase and tax dollars put to good use completing necessary projects without tolls, rather than still paying taxes and then also having to pay tolls on facilities to drive.

sprjus4

sprawl continues
Again, sprawl has already well happened along the US-380 corridor yet it hasn't been upgraded to freeway.

It's going to happen regardless, which you seem to keep ignoring. Better to build up the infrastructure when the land is available vs. a situation like US-380 today where right of way is limited.

Plutonic Panda

bwana39

While there may be argument over the toll roads, look at the Free Roads that were there before the tollways. Look at the current free roads  (the frontage roads) that are there after. The free roads are far better and even with the inherent stop lights on the frontage roads, all in all you still get from point A to point B along the current (free) frontage roads as fast or faster than you did the previous 2-lane roads.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

In_Correct

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 11, 2021, 12:35:15 PM
sprawl continues
Again, sprawl has already well happened along the US-380 corridor yet it hasn't been upgraded to freeway.

It's going to happen regardless, which you seem to keep ignoring. Better to build up the infrastructure when the land is available vs. a situation like US-380 today where right of way is limited.

There are Construction Cranes every where along U.S. 380 which is going to increase the traffic.

Another example of a nightmare is Walmart on the corner of Custer Road and U.S. 380 has no adequate way to go west. I drove across one carriage way, stopped in front of traffic waiting to Turn Left, and wait for The Fast Lane Westbound to be Clear. Dedicated Grade Separated Turnaround Lanes are preferable.

In some areas There Is Still Time to Preserve The Space, but other areas such as where that Walmart is located, Time Ran Out.

Also, They most certainly have the Frontage Roads option to Shunpike the Dallas North Tollway. They even build them first!

Road Hog

Quote from: MaxConcrete on June 10, 2021, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: TheBox on June 10, 2021, 10:41:25 PM

Wake up!
TxDOT receives bids next month for an estimated $101 million contract for new frontage roads between IH-35E and IH-45 south of Dallas. Plans are posted on the TxDOT website.
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2021/dallas.htm#296410008

In north Collin County, a section of frontage road for the Collin Country outer loop has been open for several years. Right-of-way acquisition for the section from US 75 to the Dallas North Tollway is in progress. See details
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Jwdx1iubx2unUZRRHnREtHrPaWF11p-eq0f5KnnXBP5lgYGSRx-NK7-bm8FC6OHW74A2TMBtzwA1Q6gKiDdAuP04rPmTUFMI5w0pbDQ5fv0aq_4hLxnwrYfcJl3P6CzwAl2e_lOUZkrnkOuRWagrAvx3OGEC-svOepF5wwYd_gl06fdHK-XVUQOqHaabH2c9bi_6veZFvXoNImFVxN7m_CYIxQSVDkMelpIwt-7TiwHREUH4tXViGSKk_PeWONZQ0AxDLh5LMBV9FbUmhFpgcSSj1N6YFu8AJO_3Sb0Gg7aLB_DOm6yK6w==&c=XiZyaTpGeXqloNW5n4eXnynUEKmLbaYJzr1aphUq_FmBr1ajdojT2A==&ch=abZxvBXzI_1B-4Esg22Ih_rGva6PxdFOMuj_2rt3KnDUuapFPKMqWg==

The current plan is for Loop 9 to be toll free, but of course that could change in the future.
TxDOT must have seriously advanced the Loop 9 project on the south end. Previous schedules had its letting in September 2022. They must've found the funding somewhere. And I thought Section A (the part between US 67 and I-35E) was going to be built first – those scoping meetings and public meetings were held more than a year ago.

The Collin County Outer Loop frontage road project is progressing. The roadway is open connecting Preston Road and the future Dallas North Tollway, and an extension east connecting Preston with Custer Road should be open by Labor Day (my guess based on progress). But I don't think TxDOT is involved in the Outer Loop project.

silverback1065

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 11, 2021, 12:44:52 PM
sprawl continues
As it should.

makes sense to have this opinion living in one of the most poorly designed cities in America.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2021, 09:13:30 PM
sprawl continues
As it should.

makes sense to have this opinion living in one of the most poorly designed cities in America.
Ah, ad hominem, the cornerstone of any educated response.

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2021, 09:13:30 PM
sprawl continues
As it should.

Sprawl will continue regardless, have you realized this?

TheBox

The Ghostbuster

Is the Loop 9 beltway ever going to be constructed? It does seem like a proposal worthy of Fictional Highways. If it is constructed, it would likely take decades to complete. It should be a toll road, like the TX 99 Grand Parkway. I wonder if Loop 9 will run into the same issues that have plagued the Grand Parkway from being fully completed.

Bobby5280

I think the only "bones" of Loop 9 being put into place so far is the two disconnected segments of the Colin County Outer Loop a little North of McKinney. Those are just 2-lane access roads with swaths of empty ROW preserved off to the side.

If the toll road agencies involved in Loop 9 want to have any hope at all of completing this thing they need to get on the ball ASAP. The first step is doing like they're doing North of McKinney. Just get a 2-lane road put down to preserve the future toll road ROW off to the side. If they fart around build individual portions to completion one segment at a time the whole thing will never get finished.

motorola870

There is also the section of loop 9 from I35E to I45 under construction they have opened a section of this phase starting at the northbound service road and going east. Google streetview on the northbound mainlanes shows it open as of 4 months ago.

BJ59

Quote from: motorola870 on November 21, 2023, 05:34:10 AM
There is also the section of loop 9 from I35E to I45 under construction they have opened a section of this phase starting at the northbound service road and going east. Google streetview on the northbound mainlanes shows it open as of 4 months ago.

Is it labeled Tater Brown Road on Google Maps?
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5463166,-96.8146757,16.71z?entry=ttu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.