News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Have you ever been on television?

Started by hbelkins, July 22, 2021, 02:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Chicago has a thriving TV and film industry, and I've worked as an extra a number of times.  Mostly it's been blink-and-you-miss-it appearances, or you can just see the back of my head, although I was on an episode of Chicago Fire where I had enough screen time that my parents saw me when it aired live.

I don't have much time to do it these days, but I had more free time in the spring, when I played a "Heavily Armed Orthodox Jew" for a series premiering on Starz in January.

barcncpt44

I was featured on the A&E show The Employables.  It was fun and I got to visit New York City.  With me on the Autism Spectrum, it was great they helped me finding a job.  Wish there would be another season as many with disabilities like Autism are unemployed still. 

Here's the link to the episode. https://play.aetv.com/shows/the-employables/season-1/episode-3

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

bulldog1979

I've been on TV several times. WLUC-TV hosts their annual Can-a-thon, and in years past, you could make your donations at the station during a live broadcast as various groups brought in their collections to be tallied for the grand total.

I also competed on WNMU-TV's High School Bowl all four years of high school.

Now, how many of you have been interviewed on the radio or made the front page of the newspaper?

CNGL-Leudimin

Check for both. Although I made to the front page of a newspaper through a photo of a Saint Sylvester run.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MCRoads

My dad was on a flight with almost 150 other deployed Air Force personnel coming home. I was in the shot. Not super exiting.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Life in Paradise

Quote from: bulldog1979 on September 18, 2021, 04:06:38 PM
I've been on TV several times. WLUC-TV hosts their annual Can-a-thon, and in years past, you could make your donations at the station during a live broadcast as various groups brought in their collections to be tallied for the grand total.

I also competed on WNMU-TV's High School Bowl all four years of high school.

Now, how many of you have been interviewed on the radio or made the front page of the newspaper?
Been interviewed for a column (never on the front page) and used to do interviews of other people when I was in radio.

Billy F 1988

I've been interviewed by the sadly now-defunct Clark Fork Wagon Wheel newspaper where I think I mentioned then-Senator Conrad Burns and his bribery situation. I think it was 2005. I've also been featured in their newspaper after having completed my high school's yearbook as the ONE and ONLY freshman. We had 18 in the first half of the production. 14 left, leaving me with two seniors and a junior to finish the rest of the book.

My first foray to radio was when Eagle 93.3 FM personalities Scott Richards (now a DJ at 107.1 The Ranch FM) and Paula Parks ran a drawing out at Frenchies Convenience Store in Frenchtown of which the winner of the raffle was presented a Dr. Pepper go-kart. I ended up with a ballcap and t-shirt, which, sadly, I do not possess anymore. Radio personalities Kim Murray and Tom Hershey of 94.9 KISS FM in Missoula had a birthdays and anniversaries segment of which I was mentioned on their morning show. Oh, and I think I called in to another radio show on Z100 (KZOQ-FM) talking about a wreck on Mullan Road nearby the pulp mill. Chris Wolfe and Brian Lee host the very program that's still going strong after, what, 10 or so years.

Then, circa 2011 or 12, somewhere in that zone, I appeared on MCAT (Missoula Community Access Television) while attending an event called the Spring Hullaballoo at the University of Montana ballroom benefitting children with autism and altruism. I have my DVD copy of my appearance on MCAT which the person gladly produced for the club I joined called the Neuro Networking Club.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadgeekteen

Don't think I've been on TV but I've made the newspaper several times.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

snowc

Quote from: Takumi on July 22, 2021, 08:11:17 PM
While I personally wasn't on there, I had a question sent in to a local TV station read on the air when I was a child.
Same here, I was 4 years old and one of the Autism segments that my parents wanted me so bad to be on aired on my local TV Station.
If you want to see me get :angry: and hitting :pan: on other people, go here --> https://www.wral.com/news/local/video/157283/
:rolleyes:

akotchi

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2021, 02:58:24 PM
I competed on It's Academic when I was in high school and briefly appeared on the show again two years later when I was in the audience to watch my brother compete on the same show.

I used to show up on UVA basketball broadcasts all the time due to being down front with my face painted orange and blue and an orange thing tucked under my hat to make my hair appear orange.

More recently, I was interviewed by a local TV sports reporter after my wife and I got our picture taken with the Stanley Cup after the Capitals won it in 2018. A brief clip of that interview was used on that night's sports report.

I appeared on the same program during my senior year of high school (back in 1982).  Did not win our match.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bugo

Quote from: Takumi on July 22, 2021, 08:11:17 PM
While I personally wasn't on there, I had a question sent in to a local TV station read on the air when I was a child.

When Mike Huckabee announced he was running for president a few years ago, I happened to be visiting in Mena and watched his press conference on the KARK-4 station. After the conference, the newscaster said that they would be reading the best of comments on Twitter later in the newscast. I posted "Mike Huckabee drinking game: Take a drink every time Mike lies. You'll be drunk in no time." They didn't read it, but it did briefly appear on the screen in the background. I wish I could find the video.

bandit957

I actually saw H.B. Elkins on TV once. I recognized him from a photo he had on his website. His TV appearance was a brief shot where he was holding a camera as Gov. Ernie Fletcher was walking by.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on October 04, 2021, 08:24:55 AM
I actually saw H.B. Elkins on TV once. I recognized him from a photo he had on his website. His TV appearance was a brief shot where he was holding a camera as Gov. Ernie Fletcher was walking by.

There are a few videos out there on YouTube dating back to the 1980s when some of the Lexington TV stations were doing feature shows about the communities in their coverage area. I can be seen in some of the coverage for Lee, Breathitt, and Estill counties, and actually had a speaking role in the Estill County program.

I photographed several events where Gov. Fletcher was present. I attended his election night celebration in November 2003 and actually was able to stand in the front row. A former boss told me she had seen me on TV briefly during the crowd shot.

I had an interview with WYMT-TV on Friday, done remotely via FaceTime, that aired on their Friday afternoon newscast. It was a story about the KY 15 project in Perry County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bwana39

I was on TV in Houston. I was interviewed during a week I volunteered after Hurricane Harvey!

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

hbelkins

One of the reasons I absolutely hate being on TV is because you lose anonymity to the general public. I can't imagine what it would be like if you're a celebrity or public figure, trying to live your normal life. It's one reason I don't like putting my picture on social media profiles (and it's an attitude that has developed over the years and is vastly changed from when I had the ISP-provided Web site that Tim referenced above.)

I'm used to seeing friends, people I actually know in real life, coming up to me in a store or other public place and telling me they saw me on television if I'm interviewed. But when strangers do it, it's a bit off-putting.

As part of my job, I serve on the Kentucky Weather Preparedness Committee-East. It's a group coordinated by the NWS Jackson office and includes people from professions that deal with the weather: the media, utility companies, school districts, emergency relief organizations, and transportation maintenance agencies. At one meeting I attended, one of the WYMT OCMs was there. I'd interacted with him a lot via email, phone, etc., but had never met him. I went to introduce myself to him and he said, "I knew who you were the minute you got out of the car because you've been on TV so much."

Another time, I was attending a training class and someone I'd never met struck up a conversation with me, saying he'd seen me on the news a lot and he recognized me. Since I hate strangers making small talk, I wasn't pleased. (I'm the guy who would rather read while waiting in the doctor's office than have to talk with the other people who are waiting.)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2021, 12:54:05 PM
One of the reasons I absolutely hate being on TV is because you lose anonymity to the general public.

Unfortunately for someone like me who works in the industry, trying to be anonymous is a bad thing for your career prospects. I *need* people to know who I am if I want to move up. Sometimes it unnerves me a bit because I value that sort of privacy, but it is what it is. I've done very little on-camera work, so it's more likely if someone were to recognize me it would be by voice. I'm not big enough yet for that though.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

One of the reasons I absolutely hate being on TV is because you lose anonymity to the general public. I can't imagine what it would be like if you're a celebrity or public figure, trying to live your normal life. It's one reason I don't like putting my picture on social media profiles (and it's an attitude that has developed over the years and is vastly changed from when I had the ISP-provided Web site that Tim referenced above.)

I'm used to seeing friends, people I actually know in real life, coming up to me in a store or other public place and telling me they saw me on television if I'm interviewed. But when strangers do it, it's a bit off-putting.

As part of my job, I serve on the Kentucky Weather Preparedness Committee-East. It's a group coordinated by the NWS Jackson office and includes people from professions that deal with the weather: the media, utility companies, school districts, emergency relief organizations, and transportation maintenance agencies. At one meeting I attended, one of the WYMT OCMs was there. I'd interacted with him a lot via email, phone, etc., but had never met him. I went to introduce myself to him and he said, "I knew who you were the minute you got out of the car because you've been on TV so much."

Another time, I was attending a training class and someone I'd never met struck up a conversation with me, saying he'd seen me on the news a lot and he recognized me. Since I hate strangers making small talk, I wasn't pleased. (I'm the guy who would rather read while waiting in the doctor's office than have to talk with the other people who are waiting.)

Sounds like you're in the wrong line of work, if you're going to be angry about people recognizing you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I'm surprised that anyone even remembers the name and face of someone who's just been interviewed on TV. I barely remember anyone like that by the time the program ends, much less weeks later and out-of-context like at a grocery store or doctor's office. Hell, I probably wouldn't even recognize the anchors.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cu2010

I used to make television. That aside, I've been on quite a few times too, though nothing with more than a local audience. I've been on radio many times too.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

LilianaUwU

I've not been on television, but I had a weekly radio show in my hometown in the late 2010s where I aired rock music mixed with memes... for instance, SiIvaGunner had quite a few appearances on the show. I've also aired some more obscure metal stuff, such as one song which had 150 views on YouTube when I found it. The show had stopped when I moved to Québec City, but I always record a few shows whenever I'm in vacation there.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

formulanone

Our 4th grade class put on a play, and we later had it recorded at our county's local educational TV cable network studio. All the schools in the district had access to it, but I couldn't tell you what kind of ratings it received... :P But that was a neat field trip.

I had no speaking parts, just sang a few lines with about 15-20 other classmates.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 09, 2021, 11:59:12 PM

Sounds like you're in the wrong line of work, if you're going to be angry about people recognizing you.

I'd prefer to be a name without a face.

I attended a class a couple of years ago where the trainers were making a big deal out of credibility and people knowing and trusting who was communicating to them in times of crisis. I tried to make the point that who's doing the speaking (or the writing) should matter more than what the person looks like, but the instructor just wasn't able to understand. He seemed to think that you don't get credibility until people can personalize the information. The class was about communicating to different audiences and people with different perspectives. If a news organization gets an email from me, and they know my name, they should be able to know that they're getting accurate information just by seeing where it's coming from. They shouldn't have to be able to see that I'm an aging white male with short graying hair and a spare tire around my waist. My physical appearance should not make a difference in how the message is perceived.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2021, 01:13:26 AM
I'm surprised that anyone even remembers the name and face of someone who's just been interviewed on TV. I barely remember anyone like that by the time the program ends, much less weeks later and out-of-context like at a grocery store or doctor's office. Hell, I probably wouldn't even recognize the anchors.

Figure unless you have a "Karen" moment, come into a lot of money, or at a spot in todays politically charged climate can use for a narrative then for the most part just being on tv for an interview is nothing.

Of course then you have the Steve Bartman or Katherine Webb types that being on TV at a certain time or place for better or worse changed their lives.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.