News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

But the bridge bringing Christina Pkwy. over Amtrak will *still* be only two lanes, right?  Was it deliberately built that way to discourage shunpiking truckers (along with the signed weight restrictions)?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on June 03, 2021, 08:30:17 PM
But the bridge bringing Christina Pkwy. over Amtrak will *still* be only two lanes, right?  Was it deliberately built that way to discourage shunpiking truckers (along with the signed weight restrictions)?

ixnay

The construction is replacing the concrete at the Elkton Road Intersection. It's not a Christiana Parkway project.

I doubt this road's construction had anything to do with shunpiking.  It was the last part of DE 4 to be built, so if they were concerned about shunpiking they wouldn't have built it at all. It's not a very heavily traveled roadway overall, and DelDOT provides 2 left turn lanes to get onto the road. Whenever I've used it, I've had no issues reaching or exceeding the 50 mph limit.

Alex4897

Quote from: ixnay on June 03, 2021, 08:30:17 PM

ixnay

This project slated for construction in 2025 is supposed to fix the lane drops through this stretch of SR 4.

The weight restrictions are in place to keep trucks from skipping the toll, but the eastbound lane drop looks more like it was tacked on as an after-thought to alleviate congestion at the Elkton Road intersection while using the existing road's footprint. The area around the Elkton Road intersection can be a bit of a mess around rush hour, so I'm glad this corridor is finally getting fully built out.
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jmacswimmer

https://twitter.com/DelawareDOT/status/1402245566319452169

Here's a screenshot of traffic conditions as of the time of this post - looks like an absolute nightmare :ded:

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 08, 2021, 09:12:39 AM
https://twitter.com/DelawareDOT/status/1402245566319452169

Here's a screenshot of traffic conditions as of the time of this post - looks like an absolute nightmare :ded:

Second major accident in that section of NB 95 in about a week

jeffandnicole

Probably just the law of averages, as nothing significant has changed in that area lately.  There's always been an issue of motorists merging at the last moment in that area, often quickly merging right to get to 295.  Plenty of signage also to note which lanes to be in between DE 1 and the 95/295 split. 

If these crashes are the result of someone doing what I just describe, hopefully they are involved (but not seriously injured) so they can be charged as appropriate, and insurance companies from those involved can go after the motorist that caused the issue.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2021, 09:36:44 AM
Probably just the law of averages, as nothing significant has changed in that area lately.  There's always been an issue of motorists merging at the last moment in that area, often quickly merging right to get to 295.  Plenty of signage also to note which lanes to be in between DE 1 and the 95/295 split. 

If these crashes are the result of someone doing what I just describe, hopefully they are involved (but not seriously injured) so they can be charged as appropriate, and insurance companies from those involved can go after the motorist that caused the issue.

It's worse now - road is closed all the way to the DE 896 exit after the toll plaza going NB

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 08, 2021, 11:42:23 AM

It's worse now - road is closed all the way to the DE 896 exit after the toll plaza going NB

With DelDOT now forcing NB traffic off at exit 1 (presumably an attempt to spread out the detour traffic), the resulting backup has now reached exit 109 in Maryland - a quick peak at the MDOT traffic camera at that interchange showed several vehicles reversing along the shoulder back to exit 109B (and MD/DE 279 appears to be quickly clogging up as well).
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 08, 2021, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 08, 2021, 11:42:23 AM

With DelDOT now forcing NB traffic off at exit 1 (presumably an attempt to spread out the detour traffic), the resulting backup has now reached exit 109 in Maryland - a quick peak at the MDOT traffic camera at that interchange showed several vehicles reversing along the shoulder back to exit 109B (and MD/DE 279 appears to be quickly clogging up as well).

Although that's just a 2 mile backup.

What's worse: Traffic pays the $4 (or more) toll, then they're forced off the highway less than a mile later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2021, 02:13:27 PM
Although that's just a 2 mile backup.

What's worse: Traffic pays the $4 (or more) toll, then they're forced off the highway less than a mile later.

Not worse from DelDOT's point of view...worse to them would be if MDTA decided to force traffic off at exit 109 :-D (FWIW, VMS's before exits 100 & 109 are advising traffic to use MD 272/279 over to US 40, per MDOT's CHART website.)

Meanwhile, a 0.5-mile-radius shelter-in-place was ordered around the crash site to allow for the chemicals to be burned off.

https://twitter.com/DelawareDNREC/status/1402324590282555392
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

D-Dey65

I'll say this for the original version of the I-295-US 13 and 40 interchange; At least that version didn't make it harder for southbound traffic on US 13 to get to northbound I-295. Now, they have to stop in the middle of the median and hope somebody lets them through.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 08, 2021, 09:54:05 PM
I'll say this for the original version of the I-295-US 13 and 40 interchange; At least that version didn't make it harder for southbound traffic on US 13 to get to northbound I-295. Now, they have to stop in the middle of the median and hope somebody lets them through.

They made this change many years ago, and I agree completely.  While technically there's only two lanes to cross, it's very difficult to truly tell which lane someone is in, and motorists could change lanes at a moment's notice.  Never liked the new design.

74/171FAN

Alps

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on June 09, 2021, 06:07:39 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 09, 2021, 07:48:03 AM
To finalize the I-95 closure, I-95 and all ramps have been reopened as of last night.
It looks like the press release was rescinded.

That is odd.  I am not sure why they would rescind it.  Doing a quick Google news search on "I-95 Delaware" does not show any new closures.

MASTERNC

To finalize the I-95 closure, I-95 and all ramps have been reopened as of last night.
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 09, 2021, 06:25:50 PM

That is odd.  I am not sure why they would rescind it.  Doing a quick Google news search on "I-95 Delaware" does not show any new closures.

I think they rescind anything about an incident once it has passed

jmacswimmer

The tweets do still exist from DelDOT, however...the one announcing full reopening shows where the right 2 lanes + shoulder had to be repaved.

https://twitter.com/DelawareDOT/status/1402577779821092865
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

DelDOT:TRAFFIC ALERT - Incident Closes I-495 NB at the I-95/I-495 Split

QuoteTraffic Information: Due to a crash, the Delaware Department of Transportation announces to motorists that I-495 Northbound at the I-95/I-495 Split and all ramps are also closed.

Traffic is being diverted to I-95 Northbound.

10:16 AM Update:  TRAFFIC ALERT - I-495 NB Two Left Lanes OPEN to traffic

QuoteTraffic Information: The Delaware Department of Transportation announces to motorists that two left lanes are now OPEN to traffic on I-495 Northbound at the I-95/I-495 Split. Two right lanes remain closed on I-495 Northbound.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 15, 2021, 10:03:26 AM
DelDOT:TRAFFIC ALERT - Incident Closes I-495 NB at the I-95/I-495 Split

QuoteTraffic Information: Due to a crash, the Delaware Department of Transportation announces to motorists that I-495 Northbound at the I-95/I-495 Split and all ramps are also closed.

Traffic is being diverted to I-95 Northbound.

10:16 AM Update:  TRAFFIC ALERT - I-495 NB Two Left Lanes OPEN to traffic

QuoteTraffic Information: The Delaware Department of Transportation announces to motorists that two left lanes are now OPEN to traffic on I-495 Northbound at the I-95/I-495 Split. Two right lanes remain closed on I-495 Northbound.

DMS and cameras show 495 is still closed.  I think there was a second accident in between that resulted in the closure.

Given the I-95 detour and the crazy speeds drivers reach on a much wider 495, it's not surprising there seems to be regular accidents there.

74/171FAN

I have not seen any further news releases on this since what I posted at 10:16 AM....

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 15, 2021, 01:11:18 PM
I have not seen any further news releases on this since what I posted at 10:16 AM....

Road is reopened, but it was strange DelDOT's updates did not match the actual condition this morning

MASTERNC

Wonder if they will settle on just I-95 or if this will become a statewide push in future years

Speed enforcement cameras likely on the way for I-95 work zone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.