News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on June 10, 2021, 05:57:09 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on June 10, 2021, 05:33:11 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 10, 2021, 04:53:07 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 10, 2021, 04:04:55 PM
Quote from: sparker on June 10, 2021, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2021, 11:35:40 AM
I never really understood the TN 22 freeway and why it needed to be built to interstate standards.

On one of my previous trips to the area I got into a conversation with someone about that very route; that person thought that it had something to do with the UT branch at Martin and a push by university backers for a safer route to Union City and US 51.  But he also had heard that there was at one time a push to reconstruct all of TN 22 to expressway and/or freeway standards all the way down to I-40.  Seeing as how that stretch is now a divided highway, I'd venture that there would be some measure of truth to each of those theories.

Former TN Governor Ned Ray McWherter(D) wanted a nice highway built from his place to Nashville.  He used the auspices of UTM as a scapegoat to get it done.
But it was only built as a freeway out to Martin. The remainder is only a four lane divided highway, which IMO, is appropriate for connecting those towns into the interstate system. TN-22 doesn't take on the role of connecting any major cities.

For those people not already near either Memphis or Nashville, it seems like a good (mostly 4-lane) route if someone wanted to get to I-57 from I-40. (TN-22/US-45E/US51).

The only major population base between Memphis and Nashville is Jackson; traffic from there looking to access I-57 (at least the present segment) would likely either use a direct shot north via US 45E and 51 once in KY, or, if an all-expressway/freeway route were sought, a US 412/I-155/I-55 route to Sikeston, MO.  Only residents of that sliver of land flanking the Tennessee River would likely use TN 22 for that purpose; west of there, the routings cited above would be more efficient; east of there, going up to I-24 northwest of Nashville would be the most efficient way to I-57 in IL.  In reality, it's unlikely there's much call for access from the area in question to a specific route farther north (unless someone there has an unrequited hankering for a Chicago "dog" replete with celery salt and hot peppers -- or is a die-hard fan of the Cubs or Da Bearz!). :)
Yeah I don't think many people would use it. It's just an  observation I made. US412, I-55, or I-24 (depending on where someone is starting from) will be more efficient routes.

It was interesting to learn that TN22 is mostly 4 lanes all the way to I-40. I only knew about the freeway part till today.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

22's been 4 lanes north of 40 for about 20 years now.

triplemultiplex

At some point early in the I-69 strategizing, I recall TN 22 being kicked around as a speculative x69 spur to Martin.  Probably due to the freeway already existing and some more UT Martin superfans.  It was all in the same breath as other potential child routes including some of the KY parkways and the Memphis outer loop early in the process of this whole I-69 clusterfart coming together in the 90's.  Obviously nothing ever came of it, but it was interesting to hear outside of roadgeek daydreams.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

TN 22 was proposed to eventually become Interstate 169 back in early 2002: https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/102/Bill/SJR0512.pdf. Since it seems no further moves have been made to bring TN 22 into the Interstate System in the nearly 20 years since then, I would assume the TN 22 freeway will maintain its existing number.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 11, 2021, 03:57:51 PM
TN 22 was proposed to eventually become Interstate 169 back in early 2002: https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/102/Bill/SJR0512.pdf. Since it seems no further moves have been made to bring TN 22 into the Interstate System in the nearly 20 years since then, I would assume the TN 22 freeway will maintain its existing number.

They're having enough trouble just getting the I-69 mainline built through that area; adding a free-flow connector and extension to TN 22 to upgrade it to a I-169 might be something that would be taken up well down the line, but not as part of the initial construction under way currently.  UTM notwithstanding, Martin just doesn't seem to be enough of a traffic generator nor destination to warrant Interstate status.   

TNObion

Thought I would add these, it seems that paving has begun in some sections. The construction on the NE side of Union City is pretty much my backyard, so I will try to upload any pics if anyone is interested. I grabbed these off of social media, posted by Ford Construction

https://imgur.com/a/TY7CWqS

edwaleni

Quote from: TNObion on June 28, 2021, 12:09:22 PM
Thought I would add these, it seems that paving has begun in some sections. The construction on the NE side of Union City is pretty much my backyard, so I will try to upload any pics if anyone is interested. I grabbed these off of social media, posted by Ford Construction

Good post!

You would think that after having that grade sit fallow for so many years, that it should be pretty solid and no settling will occur post paving.

TNObion

Quote from: edwaleni on June 28, 2021, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: TNObion on June 28, 2021, 12:09:22 PM

Good post!

You would think that after having that grade sit fallow for so many years, that it should be pretty solid and no settling will occur post paving.

This construction has been going on forever here it seems. Things appear to be moving along now some, finally. The landscape has changed quite a bit in my immediate area, they have moved a lot of dirt. I wish I had taken more "before" pics. I took a ride this afternoon and snapped a few. One thing that stands out to me are the way they are routing the overpasses on some of the roads I have travelled on growing up. I figured they would dead end Claude Tucker Rd, as there are only 2 homes past current construction, with access from Section Line. I have had a couple of PM's requesting some construction pics, I have attached a few.

On top of Mayberry overpass looking toward UC, off 51-

https://imgur.com/a/knv2Jwi

A couple Taken on Claude Tucker-

https://imgur.com/a/MCY1QND

Section Line Looking toward Claude Tucker-

https://imgur.com/a/aBiiKwA

ITB

^^^

Thanks for taking and sharing those pictures. I, myself, am very interested in the progress of I-69 in Tennessee, and I'm sure there are others who feel likewise. It's good to see the construction move forward.

Avalanchez71

Sen. Herron (D) is no longer in office. 

edwaleni

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2021, 07:14:25 AM

Sen. Herron (D) is no longer in office.

Thegeet

Theoretically, the TN route shouldn't take too long to build, with only 120-ish miles from Memphis to the Kentucky state line. The only issue that is holding back is funding. TN reportedly wants Congress to commit to finding.

sparker

Quote from: Thegeet on June 30, 2021, 01:34:49 PM
Theoretically, the TN route shouldn't take too long to build, with only 120-ish miles from Memphis to the Kentucky state line. The only issue that is holding back is funding. TN reportedly wants Congress to commit to finding.

IIRC, an alignment from Memphis (TN 300) north to I-155 at Dyersburg hasn't been finalized; though initially planned to remain west of US 51, incursions into wetlands (and some toxic dumping areas at its southern end) have thrown facility design into disarray.  Those issues would need resolution before funding would be forthcoming.  But so far no alternatives have been seriously posed much less found their way into any official planning efforts.  It being the last I-69 segment from Memphis to Indianapolis lacking solid plans doesn't seem to faze TDOT, however; it appears that there's no hurry to address the lack of progress on this corridor section.   

Rick Powell

According to Google, picking up US 51 at the south end of Dyersburg to TN 385 (future I-269) is a 65 minute trip over 56 miles. At 70 mph on a completed I-69 interstate, the same trip would take 48 minutes, a 17 minute savings. Perceptible, but not earth shattering. Unless the US 51 corridor is so congested that the 65 minutes is unreliable.

sprjus4

^ Given the slightly shorter mileage overall, a completed I-69 between Memphis and Indianapolis would be 10-15 minutes faster than I-55, I-57, and I-70. Plus less traffic overall.

sparker

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 30, 2021, 05:53:28 PM
According to Google, picking up US 51 at the south end of Dyersburg to TN 385 (future I-269) is a 65 minute trip over 56 miles. At 70 mph on a completed I-69 interstate, the same trip would take 48 minutes, a 17 minute savings. Perceptible, but not earth shattering. Unless the US 51 corridor is so congested that the 65 minutes is unreliable.
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 30, 2021, 07:39:09 PM
^ Given the slightly shorter mileage overall, a completed I-69 between Memphis and Indianapolis would be 10-15 minutes faster than I-55, I-57, and I-70. Plus less traffic overall.

Here's the thing:  Attempting to either justify or denigrate I-69 as a concept, at least the Memphis-Indy segment, is a functionally moot argument, since everything north of Dyersburg is built, under construction, or well into the final planning stages.  It's there, it's being used (just look at that trucker video from a few weeks back), and it's not going to go away!  And, of course, it's not fully completed because of that last 80-odd miles into Memphis.  Assuming that in the long haul neither US 51 through the various towns along the uncompleted section nor a 120-mile detour via I-155 and I-55 is deemed acceptable (although some posters would undoubtedly differ) -- and TDOT's interest in the corridor were to be revived (via whatever works!), are there alternate alignments -- one would guess well east of the current route and existing plans -- that might be considered more readily implemented (and potentially shorter)?  Observers with a more recent and/or intimate view of things in this region should feel free to chime in here; expanding the rationality of possible solutions beyond the present bounds couldn't hurt at this point. 

sprjus4

^ As far as that BigRigSteve video a few weeks ago, he was headed to an area outside Evansville so that route would be the preferred, regardless. He didn't head straight to Indianapolis, or he likely would've simply followed I-55, I-57, and I-70 given I-69 is not complete, particularly from Memphis to I-155, Henderson, and north of Martinsville.

Tomahawkin

Shouldn't 69 be a easy completion in Tennessee, there are no hills to blast through. I'm only guessing that the Floodplain will be the issue with viaduct bridges having to be built. The Southern leg of 269 was done in no time because most of the land was empty Floodplain

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 30, 2021, 09:44:14 PM
^ As far as that BigRigSteve video a few weeks ago, he was headed to an area outside Evansville so that route would be the preferred, regardless. He didn't head straight to Indianapolis, or he likely would've simply followed I-55, I-57, and I-70 given I-69 is not complete, particularly from Memphis to I-155, Henderson, and north of Martinsville.

Apparently his dropoff was somewhere in the Indianapolis/Anderson area; but he wanted to overnight at his favorite truck stop on US 41 north of Evansville; hence the reliance on I-69 from his pickup point outside Covington, TN.  Glad he decided to do it that way; got a nice view of the rebuilt I-24/69 junction and likewise at Nortonville with the big 90-degree route turn there. 

Thegeet

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 30, 2021, 10:01:13 PM
Shouldn't 69 be a easy completion in Tennessee, there are no hills to blast through. I'm only guessing that the Floodplain will be the issue with viaduct bridges having to be built. The Southern leg of 269 was done in no time because most of the land was empty Floodplain
The issue is funding. The environment is relatively easy. They wanted Congress to fund for it.

Avalanchez71

I know that at one point I had someone that wanted to try a business venture off of I-69 in Tennessee.  He thought that it may bring in new business.  I told him not to hold his breath.   Good thing because there is just not much political will to build.

Ryctor2018

Quote from: Thegeet on July 01, 2021, 01:37:34 AM
The issue is funding. The environment is relatively easy. They wanted Congress to fund for it.

There might be some movement on that (albeit slowly). With the DeSoto bridge down, many truckers are using I-155/US-51 to get down to Memphis and points south/east or vice versa. The route would not be built right away of course. However, the I-40 bridge has shown the need for a third bridge in the Memphis area. This also can show the need for a completed I-69 in West Tennessee as the traffic warrants it. With the new Transportation bill moving through Congress, the TN/AR/KY delegation should strike while the iron is hot.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on July 01, 2021, 02:14:21 PM

There might be some movement on that (albeit slowly). With the DeSoto bridge down, many truckers are using I-155/US-51 to get down to Memphis and points south/east or vice versa. The route would not be built right away of course. However, the I-40 bridge has shown the need for a third bridge in the Memphis area. This also can show the need for a completed I-69 in West Tennessee as the traffic warrants it. With the new Transportation bill moving through Congress, the TN/AR/KY delegation should strike while the iron is hot.

I would hope our delegation would be better stewards of the $$$ when it comes to the pork bill.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 01, 2021, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: Ryctor2018 on July 01, 2021, 02:14:21 PM

I would hope our delegation is better stewards of the $$$ when it comes to the pork bill.
Hardly a pork project. Maybe to you, but not reality  :bigass:

edwaleni

Quote from: sparker on June 30, 2021, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on June 30, 2021, 01:34:49 PM

IIRC, an alignment from Memphis (TN 300) north to I-155 at Dyersburg hasn't been finalized; though initially planned to remain west of US 51, incursions into wetlands (and some toxic dumping areas at its southern end) have thrown facility design into disarray.  Those issues would need resolution before funding would be forthcoming.  But so far no alternatives have been seriously posed much less found their way into any official planning efforts.  It being the last I-69 segment from Memphis to Indianapolis lacking solid plans doesn't seem to faze TDOT, however; it appears that there's no hurry to address the lack of progress on this corridor section.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.