AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Indiana Notes  (Read 367036 times)

nwi_navigator_1181

• Outside of Northwest Indiana's Interstate Triangle

• Last Login: June 19, 2021, 12:24:05 AM
Re: Indiana Notes
« Reply #2100 on: May 26, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »

In a collaborative effort between INDOT and the City of Crown Point, a major series of projects is set to begin at I-65 and 109th Avenue.

Starting June 1, the entire I-65/109th Avenue interchange will be closed to traffic, as it will be converted from two signalized intersections to a dogbone interchange, similar to what has been done to Indiana 49 and Vale Park Road in Valparaiso and Indiana 2 and US 20 in Rolling Prairie.

As part of this conversion, 109th Avenue will be widened from two to four lanes from I-65 westward to Broadway (Indiana 53); part of the widening has already been completed. Another roundabout will be built east of I-65 at Iowa Street as well. All work is scheduled for completion before Thanksgiving.

Those looking to travel on 109th Street between Broadway and points east of I-65 will be detoured via Broadway, 113th Avenue, and Mississippi Street. Those looking to enter I-65 will be encouraged to use US 231, located south of 109th Avenue.

Outside of the 109th Avenue ramps being closed, I-65 will not be affected by the work.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

pianocello

• Last Login: June 18, 2021, 05:50:24 PM
« Reply #2101 on: May 26, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »

In a collaborative effort between INDOT and the City of Crown Point, a major series of projects is set to begin at I-65 and 109th Avenue.

Starting June 1, the entire I-65/109th Avenue interchange will be closed to traffic, as it will be converted from two signalized intersections to a dogbone interchange, similar to what has been done to Indiana 49 and Vale Park Road in Valparaiso and Indiana 2 and US 20 in Rolling Prairie.

As part of this conversion, 109th Avenue will be widened from two to four lanes from I-65 westward to Broadway (Indiana 53); part of the widening has already been completed. Another roundabout will be built east of I-65 at Iowa Street as well. All work is scheduled for completion before Thanksgiving.

Those looking to travel on 109th Street between Broadway and points east of I-65 will be detoured via Broadway, 113th Avenue, and Mississippi Street. Those looking to enter I-65 will be encouraged to use US 231, located south of 109th Avenue.

Outside of the 109th Avenue ramps being closed, I-65 will not be affected by the work.

It's been a while since I've been there, but conversion to a dogbone seems to be the right choice for a quick capacity improvement. Widening 109th Ave or adding extra turn lanes clearly seems to be off the table here, and I know fewer lanes has been a selling point for INDOT in the past for dogbone interchanges (I know that was the main reason they chose that type for the Vale Park Road interchange, probably the same for Rolling Prairie as well).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL

cabiness42

• Last Login: June 19, 2021, 05:21:08 PM
« Reply #2102 on: May 26, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »

It's been a while since I've been there, but conversion to a dogbone seems to be the right choice for a quick capacity improvement. Widening 109th Ave or adding extra turn lanes clearly seems to be off the table here, and I know fewer lanes has been a selling point for INDOT in the past for dogbone interchanges (I know that was the main reason they chose that type for the Vale Park Road interchange, probably the same for Rolling Prairie as well).

This area has had a growth explosion over the past 20 years. The Broadway corridor west of I-65 with commercial development, and Winfield east of I-65 with residential development. The exit itself is fairly recent.

Revive 755

• Last Login: June 19, 2021, 12:47:56 PM
« Reply #2103 on: May 26, 2021, 10:50:12 PM »

Bridge piers wouldn't have stopped Missouri from widening that.

Closing all of the ramps at 109th does not seem like a good idea given how badly overloaded US 30 is around I-65.

silverback1065

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:26 AM
« Reply #2104 on: May 27, 2021, 08:04:16 AM »

Bridge piers wouldn't have stopped Missouri from widening that.

Closing all of the ramps at 109th does not seem like a good idea given how badly overloaded US 30 is around I-65.

the reason why 109th isn't 4 lanes under 65 is because it wasn't worth rebuilding the 65 overpass. it's a fairly recent bridge and is in very good condition. it just wasn't worth the money to do the bridge too. perhaps if 109th ave. was a state road they would have. also i believe that is exactly what they are doing with 1 of the 3 lanes around the pier.

nwi_navigator_1181

« Reply #2105 on: June 07, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »

On or after June 10, work will formally commence on the US 12/20 realignment project in the Miller (Gary) area. US 12 will be closed from Old Hobart Road to the current split west of Clay Street. During this time, three signals along what will be Old US 12 will be removed: the signal at the split, the four way stop at Clay Street, and the signal at Lake Street.

During this time, new pavement will be built for the new split just east of Lake Street, along with a new traffic signal. Along the realigned stretch, new sidewalks will be installed, along with decorative lighting and pedestrian access points.

As previously noted, this realignment is designed to accommodate the South Shore Line double track project, spanning from Gary to Michigan City. This will also include a revamped Miller station and enhanced parking.

The official detour calls for traffic to use US 20 and Indiana 249 to connect to US 12. However, the locals can use County Line Road or Old Hobart Road to connect to US 12. Long-range drivers may want to consider using I-94 (or even the Toll Road) to skip the work zone.

The realignment is scheduled for mid-September completion.

nwi_navigator_1181

« Reply #2106 on: June 09, 2021, 09:43:37 PM »

Another shorter-term closure is set for US 12/20 next week, but west of I-65. The CSS-SB railroad crossing (the line that goes from the yard adjacent to US 12/20 to the IHB Line just north of the South Shore Line) will be repaired and replaced. All work is scheduled to be done within that week only. The official detour calls for traffic to use I-65, I-80/94, and Broadway. However, non-truck traffic can get by using 15th Avenue.

Another intersection improvement project is in progress along Indiana 130, at Porter County Road 600 North (just east of the County Line Road intersection). While the complete details are not yet known, I do know there will be added turn lanes. The northeastern half of the intersection is currently being worked on, with CR 600 N closed east of Indiana 130. The southwestern half will be worked on later in the summer.

I-39

• Last Login: Today at 12:19:56 AM
« Reply #2107 on: Today at 12:19:56 AM »

Any more updates on future I-65 widening projects?

tdindy88

• Last Login: Today at 03:50:58 AM
« Reply #2108 on: Today at 02:30:56 AM »

Any more updates on future I-65 widening projects?

Well there are four currently either under construction or in the planning process. I'll go over them chronologically. I do apologize if some of these you've already heard of, to my knowledge the first two are currently under construction and the second two are in the planning stages.

There's the four miles in Bartholomew County from Exit 64 to 68 that will extend the six-lane segment already existing between Exit 50 and 64. That's under construction right now.

Then there's a five or six-mile segment from just north of Exit 140 (SR 32) to Exit 147 (SR 47) in Boone County which I believe is also currently under construction. This extends the existing six-lane section in Boone County that begins at Exit 129.

In the wings then is the extension of the six lane section in Tippecanoe County from north of Exit 175 (SR 25) to three miles north of Exit 178 (SR 43) which includes the widening of the bridge over the Wabash River that's been ongoing if not complete already.

Finally there's the proposed extension of the six-lane section of I-65 through the rest of Clark County and into Scott County, from north of Exit 16 (Memphis Rd) to just south of Exit 29 (SR 56.) According to INDOT's website on the project the six-lane section will actually end a couple of miles south of Exit 29 for some reason. Not sure yet when that project will start.

It is exciting to hear about all the proposes to Indiana's interstates in making them better throughout the state. It'd be great to see more from the Scottsburg-to-Seymour section and the Lebanon-to-Lafayette section in the future, along with Columbus-to-Franklin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.