News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

Started by Revive 755, June 05, 2013, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 14, 2021, 11:42:25 AM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on September 13, 2021, 11:15:45 PM
They would have to replace the twin bridges at the Des Plaines river if the widening of I-55 is extended south of I-80.

That would be ideal, but there would be a few benefits from at least getting the lanes added down to US 6 or Bluff Road with all the new truck traffic that has been generated around there with Amazon, Whirlpool and Target DCs. Right now, it necks down south of I-80 just north of the I&M canal bridge, with only a mile to go to the US 6 exit.

I realize this is getting off topic a bit, but just to add to this discussion, those bridges are in desperate need of replacement, as they seem to be closed or partially closed for repairs or maintenance every few years at this point. Truly, I-55 needs widening to at least the Arsenal exit, but even down to Bluff Road would alleviate some of the quick merging the trucks have to do going South right after the I-80 interchange. A lot of truck traffic does come off I-80 going towards the DCs and Arsenal.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 14, 2021, 01:39:10 PM
I realize this is getting off topic a bit, but just to add to this discussion, those bridges are in desperate need of replacement, as they seem to be closed or partially closed for repairs or maintenance every few years at this point. Truly, I-55 needs widening to at least the Arsenal exit, but even down to Bluff Road would alleviate some of the quick merging the trucks have to do going South right after the I-80 interchange. A lot of truck traffic does come off I-80 going towards the DCs and Arsenal.
Anecdotally, I see a lot more trucks on IL 47 between Morris and Dwight these days, especially when there is bridge work on the I-55 Des Plaines bridge. IDOT sometimes signs it as an alternate route.

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 13, 2021, 10:04:05 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 26, 2021, 10:35:35 PM
Per the 2022 spec for IDOT (see Page 1031 or 1048/1217), retroreflective backplates will now be the default signal backplate for Illinois.

I don't think I'll ever be able to adequately express how stupid I think this is.  Sure, a non-lit yellow colored backplate will draw people's attention to a traffic signal more effectively than a red, yellow, or green glowing light. >_>

Pretty sure it's meant to act as a back-up in case the lights are completely out. If it's at night, you may not realize there's a signal coming up. I actually like that they're making it standard. I dislike that IDOT signals are always all black now, no matter where they are installed. I understand it in downtown areas, but I don't like that it's even used in areas where the black is overkill.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 14, 2021, 03:41:11 PM
Anecdotally, I see a lot more trucks on IL 47 between Morris and Dwight these days, especially when there is bridge work on the I-55 Des Plaines bridge. IDOT sometimes signs it as an alternate route.
Either that, or a longer-range bypass (if traveling to points further downstate), I-80 to I-39, which I have done at times to avoid I-55 construction traffic.

US20IL64

Old 66/55 section is in need of update, and ongoing. I-80 getting new bridge over DP river, finally.

290 Ike widening is up in the air due to funding, per IDOT site.  https://www.eisenhowerexpressway.com/   click on "what is status?"

inkyatari

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 14, 2021, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on September 14, 2021, 03:41:11 PM
Either that, or a longer-range bypass (if traveling to points further downstate), I-80 to I-39, which I have done at times to avoid I-55 construction traffic.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Grundy County was authorizing a study looking into widening 47 between Morris and Dwight. I haven't been able to find the article, so I think I may have just imagined it
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on September 18, 2021, 02:43:16 AM
I could have sworn I read somewhere that Grundy County was authorizing a study looking into widening 47 between Morris and Dwight. I haven't been able to find the article, so I think I may have just imagined it
When I was at IDOT District 3, the Feds were pushing IDOT to widen IL 47 all the way down to IL 113 as part of the IL River replacement/add lanes project. IDOT pushed back and finally the Feds agreed to let them end the 4 lane section at Southmor Road instead. Typically counties will not study a state road unless there is something in it for them. Grundy did start the study for the Brisbin Road interchange on I-80, but IDOT had to complete it when the county ran out of money, and then IDOT got federal funding and an earmark to build it. I have not heard that Grundy is spending money on a study of the IL 47 corridor but would not be surprised if they are encouraging IDOT to look at it.

IDOT is soon replacing the IL 47 overhead bridge at I-55 in Dwight, which is currently set up for 4 lanes. The "TS&L" plans for the new bridge have it being replaced with a 4 lane design, which bodes well for continuing to look at an added lane to fill the gap between I-55 and Southmor Road sometime in the future. You can find the plan here.
https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Doing-Business/Standards/Bridge-TSL-Drawings/0320125TSL-20191015.pdf

US20IL64

Was on that IL-47 bridge over 55 and it's under construction now,

Revive 755

Revive 755

List of projects for the January 21, 2022 Letting is up.

Of note:

* Item 3 appears to be a new traffic signal somewhere on IL 59 in West Chicago

* Item 5 is bridge rehabilitation for I-57 at I-80.

* Item 21 would have been work on the "North "Inner Loops"" for I-39 at I-80

* Item 52:  "Traffic signal modernization, flashing yellow arrows, on IL 161 from IL 159 to the YMCA and SWIC entrance"

* Item 68:  Signal work and "geometric improvements at intersections at four intersections on 75th Street in Naperville

* Item 73 (already deleted) would have replaced the Shepley Road Bridge over I-80

* Item 91 Is for improvements to the 87th Street - Woodridge Avenue intersection

* Item 118 is some sort of streetscaping and bicycle lane project "on IL 50 from East Station Street to just north of East Charles Street in Kankakee"

* Item 122 is for sign structure and panel replacement in District 1 at various locations

* Item 126 is for intersection and traffic signal improvements on Torrence Avenue north of I-80/I-94

* Item 148:  "Reconstruct the intersection of Madison Street, South Street, and Lake Avenue into a roundabout in the City of Woodstock."

* Item 149 is for reconstructing and widening 80th Avenue in Tinley Park, including replacement of the bridge over I-80

* Item 152:  "Reconstruct the intersection of Orchard Road and US 30 in Montgomery."

* Item 153:  "Reconstruction of US 20 from Gear Street to Main Street in Galena."

* Item 156 adds more railroad overpasses in Springfield, this time for Jefferson Street and Madison Street

* Item 157:  "Construction of a grade separation structure to carry Brush College Road over the Norfold Southern Railroad and Fairies Parkway in Decatur."

* Item 158:  "Construction of a rounabout intersection at Keebler Road and IL 162 in Maryville"

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 10, 2021, 11:09:47 PM

Of note:

Item 3 - I am going to guess will be at Gary Mill Rd and Route 59. That is a really bad intersection during school hours because of Currier School about 1/4 mile east.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

US20IL64

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 11, 2021, 01:43:12 PM

Of note:

Item 3 - I am going to guess will be at Gary Mill Rd and Route 59. That is a really bad intersection during school hours because of Currier School about 1/4 mile east.

Yes, that's it, saw in maybe in another part of IDOT site

ILRoad55

* Item 91 Is for improvements to the 87th Street - Woodridge Avenue intersection

Sounds like this project is really happening. There's been rumors for several years now, that the 87th/Woodward intersection would be rebuilt to accomadate high traffic volume due to the Costco. All I know was that northbound Woodward would receive dual left-turn lanes. Don't exactly know how they'll fit it in unless they remove the right-turn lane.

I'm waiting for the day they add stoplights at the Costco entrance on Woodward and over at 87th and Havens. So many near collisions at those two.

paulthemapguy

Of note:

Yes, this is the intersection of IL-59 and Gary's Mill Road.  Gary's Mill Road will have a left turn lane and a right turn lane, and the signal will be interconnected (i.e. timed in association) with the signal at Browning Way to the north (the access road to IL-38's eastbound lanes).

Edit: There's also an interconnect to the Joliet Street signal to the southwest. Plans are here.

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

edwaleni

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 13, 2021, 01:07:59 PM

Of note:

Yes, this is the intersection of IL-59 and Gary's Mill Road.  Gary's Mill Road will have a left turn lane and a right turn lane, and the signal will be interconnected (i.e. timed in association) with the signal at Browning Way to the north (the access road to IL-38's eastbound lanes).

Edit: There's also an interconnect to the Joliet Street signal to the southwest. Plans are here.

Years ago IDOT and DuPage County tried to tie Gary's Mill and Wilson Street into a single signaled interchange, but the need to claim forest preserve land on both sides got the greens riled up.

I remember a school bus accident at Gary's Mill got everyone all riled up to "fix it" but the greens prevailed and not alot happened until IDOT did a update to IL-59, but it never really took care of the problem 100%

hobsini2

Quote from: edwaleni on December 30, 2021, 12:13:02 AM

Of note:

Years ago IDOT and DuPage County tried to tie Gary's Mill and Wilson Street into a single signaled interchange, but the need to claim forest preserve land on both sides got the greens riled up.

I remember a school bus accident at Gary's Mill got everyone all riled up to "fix it" but the greens prevailed and not alot happened until IDOT did a update to IL-59, but it never really took care of the problem 100%
Wilson (at that spot) is just a side street of nothing to note. Had Wilson gone through to the Wilson in Batavia, then that would certainly need a signal.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

edwaleni

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 31, 2021, 01:35:01 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on December 30, 2021, 12:13:02 AM

Of note:

Wilson (at that spot) is just a side street of nothing to note. Had Wilson gone through to the Wilson in Batavia, then that would certainly need a signal.

When Fermilab was built, yes, Wilson was a nothing burger road for 2 farmers.

However, one of them, the Kress Family Farm and some adjoining properties were turned into a large park and recreational facility.

That is when the talk of merging Wilson and Gary's Mill took place.

When that didn't fly they tried to stub Wilson at IL-59 and force people to use Joliet Street (old IL-59) to reach IL-59. That got a lot of howling from the 2 new subdivisions.

Then at the last refresh of IL-59, IDOT wanted to ban left turns from Wilson East onto IL-59 North because you can't see around the turn, especially when cars are at speed. That got a lot of howling as well.

It's been awhile, but I think the howling is from parents of West Chicago Elementary School District 33 for Currier Elementary.

Parent access for the School (which sits on Gary's Mill) from the west is via IL-59 and from the east its IL-38.

If you stub Gary's Mill at IL-59, parents west of IL-59 will have to take Joliet up to IL-38 go past the school and turn right to come back.

If you stub Wilson at IL-59, same deal.

So what you have essentially are parents turning left from Wilson, jogging over on IL-59 to reach Gary's Mill in less than a half mile and turning right to reach Currier.

The school bus accident was caused by kids going to Currier, turning left on IL-59 south onto Gary's Mill. The bus was hit by a northbounder on IL-59. Again if memory serves, it was a foggy morning as well.

Complicating the situation is that the West Branch of the DuPage River flows right next to IL-59 here (hence where "Gary's Mill" was) and is prone to flooding and there are 2 forest preserves one on each side.

I remember seeing several plans proposed by IDOT way back when to merge the 2 roads into a single signal for cross traffic.

One was to drag the eastern terminus of Wilson northward to a new Gary's Mill that ran straight west with a new bridge/intersection involved.

The other was to make Gary's Mill turn south, west of the school and bring it down to where Wilson was. This had the most environmental problems as it required significant disruption of wetlands.

Back in the early 1960's, IDOT had plans to turn IL-59 into a more limited access facility, that is why when it was moved east and away from Joliet Ave. in the 1950's they built an overpass over IL-38 (which was Alt US-30 at the time) with signal controlled ramps. That and many other IDOT plans like this died in the 1970's. They tried to move more IL-59 traffic over to the proposed Fox Valley Freeway, but that died as well.

When Plainfield, South Naperville and Joliet expanded west in the 1990's, north-south traffic on IL-59 has ballooned between I-55 and Barrington.

Revive 755

List of projects for the March 11, 2022 Letting is up.  Of note:

* Item 26 is a various location sign replacement contract for District 1

* Item 28 is traffic signal upgrades for Andalusia Road at Ridgewood Road and IL 92 in Rock Island

* Item 98 appears to be traffic signal modifications in various towns in McHenry County

* Item 100 is signal work in Downers Grove for the 63rd Street intersection with Main Street

* Item 131:  "Reconstruction of Franklin Avenue from Runge Street to Mannheim Road in Franklin Park"

* Item 133 is intersection improvements for IL 59 at West Bartlett Road

* Item 138 (already deleted) would have been reconstruction of Wood Street - Ashland Avenue from north of Thornton Road to 138th Street in Harvey, Dixmoor, and Riverdale.

Revive 755

[edited to add Item 1X]

List of projects for the April 29, 2022 Letting is up.

* Item 1X is review and inspection for a future contract to replace the I-270 Chain of Rocks Main Channel Bridge.  The project details listed a completion date of "November 01, 2026 Plus 30 Working Days".

* Item 10 is deck replacement and other repairs for 175th Street over I-57

* Item 14 is bridge repairs and repainting for US 30 over the Mississippi River

* Item 16 is repairs to one of the arch bridges on US 67 in Rock Island County (the exact bridge doesn't seem to be specified)

* Item 17 is bridge work for I-39 over Black Hawk Road near Rockford

* Item 23 is traffic signal improvements for railroad intersections along US 24 in Watseka and for the US 30 - Elm Street intersection in Waterman.

* Item 27 is "an interim improvement to address poor pavement condition" with resurfacing along IL 47 on the north side of Yorkville

* Item 39 is intersection improvements for IL 336 at E. 600th Street near Colchester

* Item 58 is bridge repairs for US 136 over the Mississippi River

* Item 77 adds flashing yellow arrows to US 45 at Devers Road and the I-24 ramps

* Item 78 has signal modifications and ADA improvements for IL 13 at Giant City Road on the east side of Carbondale

* Item 80:  "Installing retroreflective backplates on traffic signals throughout District 9"

* Item 89 appears to be equipment repairs for the reversible lanes on the Kennedy

* Item 110 reads as though the signal for IL 47 at Pine Bluff Road south of Morris would be removed, but the pay item listing suggest modifications

* Item 114:  "Reconstruct the intersection of Rock Island Parkway and 85th Avenue West in Rock Island."

* Item 126 is bridge painting for I-290 at IL 58, the ramps at the I-290/I-355 interchange, and 25th Avenue at the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad

* Item 166:  "Traffic signal mast arm replacement at various locations in Peoria, Tazewell, and McDonough Counties."

* Item 167:  "Installation of truck parking information management systems (TPIMS) at the Spoon River and Mackinaw Dells (EB and WB) rest areas" on I-74

* Item 174 looks like another large contract for the I-57/I-74 interchange

* Item 183 widens Peace Road in DeKalb from the westbound I-88 ramps to IL 38

* Item 186 is bridge rehab for the bridge carrying County Highway 10 over the BNSF yard near Galesburg.

* Item 193 appears to be some sort of improvements for the US 12/Rand Road - Mount Prospect Road - Central Road cluster in Mount Prospect

* Item 196 adds a right turn lane somewhere around the "I-290 northbound ramp" at Biesterfield Road in Elk Grove Village, along with traffic signal and bridge work.

* Item 197 is some sort of bridge work for US 12/IL 59 at Fish Creek around Volo

* Item 200 is reconstruction of Wood Street in Harvey, Dixmoor, and Riverdale

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 25, 2022, 11:20:49 PM

* Item 77 adds flashing yellow arrows to US 45 at Devers Road and the I-24 ramps

* Item 78 has signal modifications and ADA improvements for IL 13 at Giant City Road on the east side of Carbondale
Unless I missed something recently, those signals in Metropolis should be the first Flashing Yellow Arrow signals in District 9/Southern IL.

I'm curious what the signal improvements at IL 13 and Giant City Road will be. The phasing has always been weird at the light anyway, with a Lead/Lag for Left Turn movements from 13 onto Giant City Road. I'd like to see FYAs for Giant City Road traffic. Pretty sure the Double Lefts from 13 to Giant City Road will stay Protected-Only.

I could see Pedestrian signals and striped crosswalks added for walking traffic, especially with the bike/running trail now along 13 between Giant City Road and Reed Station Rd

JoePCool14

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 26, 2022, 11:15:52 AM

Unless I missed something recently, those signals in Metropolis should be the first Flashing Yellow Arrow signals in District 9/Southern IL.

I'm curious what the signal improvements at IL 13 and Giant City Road will be. The phasing has always been weird at the light anyway, with a Lead/Lag for Left Turn movements from 13 onto Giant City Road. I'd like to see FYAs for Giant City Road traffic. Pretty sure the Double Lefts from 13 to Giant City Road will stay Protected-Only.

I could see Pedestrian signals and striped crosswalks added for walking traffic, especially with the bike/running trail now along 13 between Giant City Road and Reed Station Rd

Hilarious that it's taking IDOT so long to implement FYAs statewide, even on completely new signal installations. You go to Wisconsin and you can hardly escape them. State roads, county roads, even local roads.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ET21

Peace Road getting two lanes each way has been needed for almost 10 years, especially with all the warehouses going up around there
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 26, 2022, 03:36:51 PM

Hilarious that it's taking IDOT so long to implement FYAs statewide, even on completely new signal installations. You go to Wisconsin and you can hardly escape them. State roads, county roads, even local roads.

Heck, even Indiana has been upgrading their traffic signals to include FYAs for the past 5 years now.

Revive 755

I think you missed at least one project or something happened to prevent some previous flashing yellow arrow projects posted from letting from being constructed:

* Item 48 from the July 31, 2020 had flashing yellow arrows being installed on IL 15 in Mount Vernon

* I thought there was a previous contract with flashing yellow arrows around Metropolis, but I am not finding it so far.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 26, 2022, 10:46:42 PM

I think you missed at least one project or something happened to prevent some previous flashing yellow arrow projects posted from letting from being constructed:

* Item 48 from the July 31, 2020 had flashing yellow arrows being installed on IL 15 in Mount Vernon

* I thought there was a previous contract with flashing yellow arrows around Metropolis, but I am not finding it so far.
I remember the project in Mount Vernon - I haven't driven around in Mt Vernon in a long while, so that would be one I haven't seen

Last time I went down to the Casino at Metropolis, I don't remember any FYAs

They are across the River in Paducah

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.