News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

A 6-lane I-10 would be a nice-to-have, but within Misssissippi, even with the truck traffic, you'd be hard-pressed to justify it outside of Harrison County.

Speaking of I-10 and lamsalfl's comment, this isn't represented in MultiPlan2035, but the local MPO is recommending 6-laning I-10 from MS 609 (Exit 50, near where the current project wraps up) east to Gautier-Vancleve Rd (Exit 61).  They are also, long-term, proposing HOV lanes between Canal Rd (Exit 31) and MS 609.

In the past, the MPO had proposed widening to the west of Gulfport...between Diamondhead (Exit 16) and the Long Beach interchange (Exit 28...west end of the 6-lane). Not sure why it's not on the current proposal.

ttownfeen

What is going on 20/59 east of Meridian?  It looks like a whole new highway is being constructed.  I passed through last week going to Houston and back and have been trying to find information on the project to no avail.

codyg1985

There is a new interchange going in between US 45 and MS 19 south to serve an industrial park. 
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

UptownRoadGeek

Is there any particular reason why the 8 lane section of I-55 from Memphis ends abruptly at the 2nd exit into MS? Any plans to extend it?

froggie

That's what got funded during the last go-around.  As I understand it, the long-term plan is to extend 8 lanes down to I-69, and 6 lanes to Hernando.

UptownRoadGeek

Thanks. Do you know traffic counts from Hernando and Southaven warrant that many lanes or if it's in anticipation of I-69's completion. Southaven actually has nicer freeways than the Jackson area IMO. That's funny to me for some reason.

froggie

It's gotta be in anticipation of both I-69 and future growth.  Existing traffic counts only barely justify 6 lanes, let alone 8...

golden eagle

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on March 31, 2011, 02:07:54 PM
Thanks. Do you know traffic counts from Hernando and Southaven warrant that many lanes or if it's in anticipation of I-69's completion. Southaven actually has nicer freeways than the Jackson area IMO. That's funny to me for some reason.

I love the concrete portion.

Given Desoto's high-growth rate (160K people with no signs of slowing down anytime soon) and the amount of traffic from points south heading to Memphis, I can justify it. Desoto's growth will eventually spillover down into its southern neighbor, Tate County, but not at the robust pace Desoto has experienced.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 14, 2011, 09:03:02 PM
MDOT is in the process of using design-build for the 4-lane upgrade of SR 9 from SR 6 in Pontotoc to US 78 (Future I-22) in Sherman (a significant portion of it will be new terrain). The presence of the Toyota plant is apparently giving them a sense of urgency. The project is to be completed by Dec. 31, 2012
Quote from: Grzrd on February 06, 2011, 10:58:34 AM
the article mentions a 2011 legislative review that is necessary for the Mississippi 9 upgrade to proceed.  The article mentions that the section north of Sherman is controversial.
Last Sunday, Mississippi legislature approved a measure that sets aside approximately $40 million for 4-laning MS 9 north of Future I-22 (the design-build project mentioned above is south of Future I-22).  It still seems to be controversial:

http://www.nems360.com/view/full_story/12525075/article--422-9M-bond-bill-ap%20proved?instance=home_news_1st_left

"...The bond proposal contains $50 million to improve highways for economic development with $40 million of that total presumably to four-lane state Highway 9 near the Toyota plant at Blue Springs to state Highway 348 north of the plant.

In the House, some argued the four-laning was not needed, but was "a pet project"  of Gov. Haley Barbour. Rep. Steve Holland, D-Plantersville, said the 18-wheelers going from the Toyota plant north already could travel four-lane highway on U.S. 78 and 45 and the distance would not be much farther.

Holland said the four-laning was destroying "some of the most pristine country in Northeast Mississippi"  and was not being requested by Toyota officials. Holland said other highways in Northeast Mississippi, such as U.S. Highway 15, needed four-laning more than Highway 9 did.

In a statement Sunday night, Barbour said, "Unless Mississippians want suppliers to avoid the areas north of Tupelo and locate somewhere around Memphis or Columbus — or even worse, have existing suppliers in Kentucky or Illinois ship parts to Blue Springs — then we must improve the roads for when Toyota begins full production."

The $1.3 billion Toyota plant is scheduled to open later this year and employ at least 1,500. At full production sometime next year, employment is expected to reach 2,000. Suppliers to the plant will hire about 2,000 workers, too.

The state provided about $300 million in bonds in 2007 to lure the automaker to Northeast Mississippi.

Last year the Legislature approved $90 million to four-lane state Highway 9 south of the plant. The effort to four-lane Highway 9 north of the plant has been more controversial..."

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

golden eagle

^^

Neat! About that Confederate flag though...

Bryant5493

^^

Thanks.

The only reason I included the Mississippi flag is because I included my Southern Roadgeek logo and the state flag. I'm not a fan of the flag, but the flag is what it is.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Ace10

Quote from: Bryant5493 on April 07, 2011, 10:43:57 AM
^^

Thanks.

The only reason I included the Mississippi flag is because I included my Southern Roadgeek logo and the state flag. I'm not a fan of the flag, but the flag is what it is.

Be well,

Bryant

Nice video, Bryant - loved it! Took me back home, because for the past couple years when I head back home to Biloxi, I get off I-10 to MS-57 and take Ocean Springs Rd west to US-90.

And yeah, the flag at the end is the Mississippi State Flag, though at the top-left there is a squarish version of the Confederate flag. Plus, the Confederate flag itself is a big misunderstood symbol. I did a little research on it and some people's reactions and conceptions are a little mistaken.

SSF

On 20/59 just after the WB weigh station at the MS/AL state line, it looked like a contractor was working on cable median on the EB side of the interstate.  is that the case?  Looked like they were moving pretty fast also.  Had there been any major crossover accidents that I was unaware of?  I travel that stretch pretty frequently and dont remember seeing much, if any, median damage except after the ice storms.

Alps

golden eagle

MDOT to close MS 465 in Warren, Issaquena due to MS River flooding

The press release says Monday, but local news accounts say it could happen as early as tomorrow morning.

berberry

Quote from: golden eagle on April 30, 2011, 06:29:35 PM
MDOT to close MS 465 in Warren, Issaquena due to MS River flooding

The press release says Monday, but local news accounts say it could happen as early as tomorrow morning.

Yeah, that's the Eagle Lake highway.  It closed during the last flood a few years ago, which means this flood is just getting started here.  Looks like it's gonna get a lot worse than this.

golden eagle

How far into Vicksburg will the water get? Since it is rather hilly, I hope most of the city will be spared.

brownpelican

A good chuck of Vicksburg is on very high ground. Those near the Yazoo River will have problems because the Yazoo's flow will likely back up due to the Mississippi's high water level.

Grzrd

golden eagle

Thanks for those updates. I was going to post about the rework that MDOT will do for I-55 through southern Hinds County, but one of the updates already said so.

berberry

Quote from: golden eagle on May 31, 2011, 10:35:42 PM
Thanks for those updates. I was going to post about the rework that MDOT will do for I-55 through southern Hinds County, but one of the updates already said so.

One interesting thing about it is the claim that two lanes of traffic in each direction will be maintained during the project by using shoulders.  Good thing I guess, but I suspect those are gonna be some narrow lanes.

The press release doesn't say anything about the interchanges on that stretch of 55, but surely some of them - like Savannah Street - will require reconstruction. 

brownpelican

I agree, for all of those overpasses are the original bridges and I can't see how six lanes can fit under them.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 14, 2011, 09:03:02 PM
MDOT is in the process of using design-build for the 4-lane upgrade of SR 9 from SR 6 in Pontotoc to US 78 (Future I-22) in Sherman (a significant portion of it will be new terrain). The presence of the Toyota plant is apparently giving them a sense of urgency. The project is to be completed by Dec. 31, 2012:
http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/DesignBuild/pdf/SR9/Notice%20of%20Intent%20-%20State%20Route%209.pdf
Here is a link to the Environmental Assessment - Finding of No Significant Impact:
http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/DesignBuild/pdf/SR9/10_12_09_APPROVED_FONSI.pdf
Work on MS 9 from Pontotoc to Sherman is scheduled to begin in July:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/MediaRoom/newsreleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?ID=5232011103900

golden eagle

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.