News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: brownpelican on December 06, 2011, 02:42:05 PM
How far north? I know they widened it to Madison (Miss. 463).

What happened to widening I-55 South (I-20 to Byram)?

Ok, nevermind. I had forgotten about that, but isn't it like incomplete or something?

Quote from: brownpelican on December 06, 2011, 02:43:20 PM
I'm surprised they didn't do Texas-styled frontage roads on I-20/59.

I think that there's a small section that does have them. I could be wrong.

Ace10

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on December 06, 2011, 03:25:44 PM

I found, like, two ramps.

I-20 E / I-59 N: 32.3601 N, 88.6805 W

I-20 W / I-59 S: 32.3651 N, 88.67495 W

It looks like they left some room between the Interstate ROW and the frontage roads to put in a few more slip ramps if there's ever a need.

Stephane Dumas

Speaking of Meridian, I spotted a 4-lane boulevard who's parralel to the west of US-45, is it part of a bigger plan?
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=32.378838,-88.653574&spn=0.028088,0.038581&vpsrc=0&t=k&z=15

froggie

QuoteSpeaking of Meridian, I spotted a 4-lane boulevard who's parralel to the west of US-45, is it part of a bigger plan?

Roadwise, no.  That road and interchange were built because Meridian plans to convert the adjacent land into an industrial park.

You couldn't extend the road south, anyway.  Most of the land south of MS 19 there is parkland/wetland.

codyg1985

Quote from: Ace10 on December 11, 2011, 01:33:43 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on December 06, 2011, 03:25:44 PM

I found, like, two ramps.

I-20 E / I-59 N: 32.3601 N, 88.6805 W

I-20 W / I-59 S: 32.3651 N, 88.67495 W

It looks like they left some room between the Interstate ROW and the frontage roads to put in a few more slip ramps if there's ever a need.

That extra ROW should be used for an additional lane in each direction through there. It is needed pretty badly.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

I wouldn't say it's needed "pretty badly".  That said, a couple more auxiliary lanes between on and off ramps would be useful.

lamsalfl

A past article during the widening to Ocean Springs construction noted further widening to Exit 61 was in the works, but so far there hasn't been any news on this.

golden eagle

xonhulu

Quote from: golden eagle on December 23, 2011, 01:20:51 AM
Overhead BGSs give wrong directions in Jackson:

They don't mention it in the report, but is it also a mistake that I-20 is depicted twice on the BGS, going both EAST and SOUTH?   Or is the SOUTH supposed to be I-55?

jdb1234

Quote from: xonhulu on December 23, 2011, 04:12:12 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on December 23, 2011, 01:20:51 AM
Overhead BGSs give wrong directions in Jackson:

They don't mention it in the report, but is it also a mistake that I-20 is depicted twice on the BGS, going both EAST and SOUTH?   Or is the SOUTH supposed to be I-55?

I think the SOUTH is supposed to be US 49

xonhulu

Quote from: jdb1234 on December 23, 2011, 04:18:50 PM
I think the SOUTH is supposed to be US 49

Makes sense, now that I actually have looked at a map of Jackson.

golden eagle

The real question that should be asked if how did MDOT not look at this sign before letting it go up.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 11, 2011, 10:59:36 AM
As of mid-September, the MS 9 project was approximately 44% complete and approximately 100 days ahead of schedule
On the MS 9 project between MS 6 and US 78, most of the dirt work is complete, work on the bridges is proceeding, and MDOT still anticipates it will be open to traffic by September (Jan. 1 article):
http://nems360.com/view/full_story/16955250/article-2011--Year-in-Review---Highway-9-construction-steady-on-probable-early-finish?

Ace10

An article was posted to the Sun Herald (local paper) about the connection between I-10 and the Port of Gulfport.

http://www.sunherald.com/2012/01/18/3695456/mdot-port-study-will-set-final.html

golden eagle

I drove down Terry Road near Jackson State and found out that it's been named University Boulevard from JSU to I-20. South of I-20 is still known as Terry Road.

codyg1985

In Hattiesburg at the I-59/US 98 west interchange, it appears that a triple left turn movement has been constructed for traffic exiting from I-59 SB to access Hardy Street Eastbound. This Google Maps link shows that the bridge already has three through lanes going east, but the right most lane exits off to I-59 NB. I couldn't tell if that was modified with the project to extend the third lane past the interchange or not.
Cody Goodman

berberry

MDOT seems to have redesigned their website rather extensively, but so far I don't think I like it.  It's confusing.  Maybe it's incomplete.

Grzrd

Quote from: berberry on February 22, 2012, 11:59:59 AM
MDOT seems to have redesigned their website rather extensively, but so far I don't think I like it.  It's confusing.  Maybe it's incomplete.

I'm not sure if I like it, either.  In the past, I have occasionally perused old news releases.  However, here is a recent Q & A I recently had with the webmaster:

Q: On new website, how do I access older news releases that are not on the home page?

A: Because we have moved over to a new database, we no longer have the old new releases available on the website.  If you have a specific new release that you would like to find, we could pull this release for you and send a copy in an email.

Not that big a deal, but it still seems unnecessary.

berberry

Quote from: Grzrd on February 23, 2012, 05:07:08 PM
QuoteQ: On new website, how do I access older news releases that are not on the home page?

A: Because we have moved over to a new database, we no longer have the old new releases available on the website.  If you have a specific new release that you would like to find, we could pull this release for you and send a copy in an email.

Not that big a deal, but it still seems unnecessary.

At least they have the more recent releases available.  In case there's anyone who hasn't spotted it yet, the breaking news banners seem to all be linked to the press releases page.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 24, 2011, 03:14:03 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2011, 12:14:45 PM
Quote from: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/hipricorridors/hpcor.html
The portion of Corridor V of the Appalachian development highway system from Interstate Route 55 near Batesville, Mississippi, to the intersection with Corridor X of the Appalachian development highway system near Fulton, Mississippi.
Since Corridor X begins at Fulton, this just means it follows MS 76-US 45-US 78-MS 25. See the map at the end of http://www.arc.gov/images/programs/transp/adhs_status_report_2010/ADHS2010StatusReportMississippi.pdf.

The paving contract for MS 6 from MS 342 to US 45 is scheduled to be let on March 27, and it is anticipated to be completed by October 1, 2013.  At that time, Mississippi's section of Corridor V will be completed from Batesville to MS 25 south of Fairview.  Here is the Proposal for the MS 6 paving project.

Alex

Clearing of the right of way of the future MS-601/Possible I-310 (Central Harrison Connector) shows up on Google's aerials now.

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on March 29, 2012, 10:57:52 PM
Clearing of the right of way of the future MS-601/Possible I-310 (Central Harrison Connector) shows up on Google's aerials now.

It looks like they are only connecting it temporarily to Canal Rd for now until they can build the interchange with I-10. Will be interesting to see the southern portion. Will also be awesome to see the interchange with I-10 itself.
Cody Goodman

lamsalfl

Yeah I'm curious to know when this cleared land will start seeing actual construction.

Alex

Quote from: lamsalfl on April 04, 2012, 12:18:17 AM
Yeah I'm curious to know when this cleared land will start seeing actual construction.

No active constructed was visible anywhere along the route today. What is on the aerials is was is visible in the field. No active work otherwise. Photos from this morning:

Racetrack Road crosses the future path of Mississippi 601. This view looks at the land clearing to the south of the road.

34th Avenue north at 34th Street west. Demolition is complete looking west, including of every house that was on Castile Drive. In the distance, I could see a road closed barricade for the formerly residential street.

Looking southeast from 34th Avenue at 34th Street where MS-601 will turn south toward 30th Avenue.

The business in the path of MS-601 on the corner of 28th Street and 30th Avenue was still in operation. So construction is a ways off here.

The shield-less terminus of U.S. 49 at U.S. 90 in Gulfport. Previously a set of US 90 shields and a small guide sign were posted in the median. These are gone with landscaping...

Not sure when that overpass project is slated to start for Promenade Parkway at MS 15/67, but the left-turn lane from northbound bleeds badly onto the mainline lanes of the ending I-110.  :banghead:

berberry

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Connector interchange at I-10.  I remember seeing it drawn on a map a few years ago and it looked like a full stack sitting directly atop a 2/4 cloverleaf. 

In most cases stacks look beautiful on a map, but ugly as hell in real life. There are a few nice ones but not many. Don't get me wrong; I think we need more of them, I just think most of them are eyesores.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.