News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I-55 through south Jackson & Byram will be expanding to six lanes starting next year. MDOT resufaced it last year because it was becoming a dangerous situation. With work on I-55 through Madison County getting started and I-20 in Rankin County expanding, the metro's gonna be one huge construction zone soon.

froggie

Quote-55 through south Jackson & Byram will be expanding to six lanes starting next year.

Are you sure?  MDOT's STIP only lists it as "Reconstruction".  They don't specify widening like they do for I-20 or the Madison County project.

Stephane Dumas

golden eagle

Quote from: froggie on May 15, 2012, 07:47:13 AM
Quote-55 through south Jackson & Byram will be expanding to six lanes starting next year.

Are you sure?  MDOT's STIP only lists it as "Reconstruction".  They don't specify widening like they do for I-20 or the Madison County project.

Dick Hall (central Mississippi transportation commissioner) said this on WLBT last night. I'll link the website when I have time.

golden eagle

Here's the link to the WLBT story that I promised:

http://www.wlbt.com/story/18382509/i-55-south-traffic-congestion-to-get-relief

I didn't realize that extra lanes will be added on US 49. That may not happen until 2014.

UptownRoadGeek

Most of the I-55 south work going in the median? What median? I'm assuming that means no inside shoulders.

golden eagle

That's the impression I was getting.

UptownRoadGeek

So basically they're going to give it the St. Louis treatment.  Shift the lanes to the left, add a little on the side, and squeeze them in under overpasses. It's common along I-64 and I-55 in the STL area to have wide asphalt freeways with concrete fast lanes as a result.

qguy

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 19, 2012, 04:01:02 PM
So basically they're going to give it the St. Louis treatment.  Shift the lanes to the left, add a little on the side, and squeeze them in under overpasses.

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's what the PA Turnpike did for their first widening project (from 2 lanes directionally to 3) from interchange 333 (Mid-County, at I-476) to interchange 351 (Bensalem, at US 1), completed in 1989. In order to avoid lengthening overhead bridges, they shifted the lanes into the median shoulder (which was practically nonexistent as it was) and narrowed the lanes six inches each (I think) to squeeze them between the bridge piers. For all subsequent widening projects, including the adjacent project going from 2 lanes to 3 from interchange 326 (Valley Forge, where I-76 diverges) to interchange 333 (Mid-County), they've reconstructed virtually all bridges to lengthen them.

brownpelican

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 18, 2012, 03:41:31 PM
Most of the I-55 south work going in the median? What median? I'm assuming that means no inside shoulders.

I know right? What median?

I remember they were talking about widening it when I was at JSU in the mid-90s. I thought it would be done by the early 2000s at worst.

Alex

I caught part of an episode of History Channel's American Pickers and was surprised to see them inquire about a highway shield that should be of interest to old sign fans. Took two screen grabs of the shield in question:

agentsteel53

that looks pretty nice.  probably about an 800 dollar sign.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 29, 2012, 06:04:01 PM
that looks pretty nice.  probably about an 800 dollar sign.

The owner responded immediately with something like "noooooo" while shaking his head. Can't blame him there!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Alex on May 29, 2012, 06:10:05 PM

The owner responded immediately with something like "noooooo" while shaking his head. Can't blame him there!

responded to what?

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 29, 2012, 06:37:21 PM
Quote from: Alex on May 29, 2012, 06:10:05 PM

responded to what?

The guy Mike on the show wanted to make an offer on the sign. The owner responded with something about Route 1 being the River Highway, after Mike asked if it was from the Blues Highway.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Older than this sign assembly

(Photo was taken by Samuel Charters back in early 70s as part of a book he wrote about Robert Johnson)
http://catalog.rockhall.com/catalog/797676
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

definitely.  the sign was stamped out sometime between 1926 and the 1950s.  it may have been given reflective sheeting on its first issue, or it may have been taken down and the original non-reflective coat refurbished to a reflective standard, sometime in the 50s.

it took on its final form in the 1950s or maybe even early 60s.

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 18, 2012, 03:41:31 PM

After driving through this stretch on Saturday, I don't see how the extra lanes can go in the median.

brownpelican

Biloxi officials have unveiled plans to extend Popps Ferry Road to Beach Blvd (US 90) as a four-lane road. There are two options, with neither displacing homes or businesses:
* The road runs down west of and parralel to Oakmont Place.
* The second route would be 500 feet further west, running east of and parallel to Beachview Avenue.

Each route has the option of having the road cross the railroad tracks or go over them via an overpass.

A public meeting is scheduled for June 19. Popps Ferry currently ends at Pass Road.

http://www.sunherald.com/2012/06/06/3993346/biloxi-begins-plans-to-extend.html

golden eagle

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 09, 2012, 10:01:04 PM
The letting was delayed a month, but on May 8, MDOT awarded an approximate $26 million paving contract from the April 24 letting for approximately eleven miles of new terrain MS 6/ Corridor V

This June 1, 2012 article indicates that paving should begin in two to three weeks:

A contract has been let and paving is expected to begin within 30 days on the final 11 miles of four lane for new Mississippi Highway 6, Mississippi Department of Transportation officials confirmed this week.
APAC Mississippi, headquartered in Jackson, was recently awarded the $26.06 million contract to pave the final leg of the four lane from Highway 342 to U.S. Highway 45 in Tupelo, said Skip Benson, MDOT assistant construction engineer.
Benson said APAC is completing preconstruction procedures and paving should begin in three to four weeks.
"The completion date is set for Oct. 1, 2013," Benson said.

Once this last segment is paved, Mississippi 6 four lane will run from Interstate 55 at Batesville to U.S. 45 four lane in Tupelo.
APAC was the apparent low bidder and the contract was let earlier this month.

SSF

Quote from: golden eagle on June 07, 2012, 05:37:40 PM
City of Jackson to rehab Fortification Street

About damn time!

I didn't see any termination points in the article, I will assume it is going to at least 55 from state?  that is a lovely stretch of road, all I care about is the Irish pub staying open and in business.

brownpelican

It needs to be rehabbed all the way to Woodrow Wilson Drive.

golden eagle

Quote from: SSF on June 08, 2012, 06:22:22 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on June 07, 2012, 05:37:40 PM
City of Jackson to rehab Fortification Street

About damn time!

I didn't see any termination points in the article, I will assume it is going to at least 55 from state?  that is a lovely stretch of road, all I care about is the Irish pub staying open and in business.

It's going to Farish Street, between State and Bailey Avenue. 

golden eagle

Quote from: brownpelican on June 09, 2012, 01:30:52 AM
It needs to be rehabbed all the way to Woodrow Wilson Drive.

The portion west of Bailey Avenue was repaved a few years ago. Before it was repaved, you could argue that it was among the worst stretches of roads in Jackson.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.