News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

The pavement rehab project on I-20 east of Jackson is a pain in the ass...one lane traffic in each direction for nine miles.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

golden eagle

^^

I drove through there two weeks ago, but traffic wasn't too bad. It's not like it's in an urban area.

In Jackson-area news, Capitol Street to become a two-way street.

codyg1985

Quote from: golden eagle on June 10, 2012, 11:07:09 PM
^^

I drove through there two weeks ago, but traffic wasn't too bad. It's not like it's in an urban area.

In Jackson-area news, Capitol Street to become a two-way street.

Even though it was through the Bienville National Forest, traffic was heavy (Friday afternoon) so it was a little crowded.  I guess it is needed, since a lot of the soil under the road bed is probably sinking due to consolidation. It looked like they were going down to sub-grade with the reconstruction.
Cody Goodman

golden eagle

It was about 8-8:30 in the morning when I drove through it, so maybe that's why it wasn't too crowded.

golden eagle

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 05, 2012, 12:37:19 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 11, 2011, 10:59:36 AM
As of mid-September, the MS 9 project was approximately 44% complete and approximately 100 days ahead of schedule
On the MS 9 project between MS 6 and US 78, most of the dirt work is complete, work on the bridges is proceeding, and MDOT still anticipates it will be open to traffic by September (Jan. 1 article):
http://nems360.com/view/full_story/16955250/article-2011--Year-in-Review---Highway-9-construction-steady-on-probable-early-finish?

This article indicates that traffic should be driving on the new terrain MS 9 in about two months:

Mississippi Department of Transportation officials say work on the Highway 9 widening project should be completed by mid-August.
Officials say the work on the 10-mile stretch of highway from the interchange of Highway 278/6 near Pontotoc to Highway 78 in Sherman is 95 percent complete.
The work is currently 25 percent ahead of schedule according to MDOT.
The project is being built using a Design-Build process that covers grade, drainage, bridge, and paving work.
MDOT officials say the process accelerates the completion process and allows for the sections to be open when they are completed.

If only all construction projects moved this quickly...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 19, 2012, 12:14:52 PM
Mississippi Department of Transportation officials say work on the Highway 9 widening project should be completed by mid-August.
Officials say the work on the 10-mile stretch of highway from the interchange of Highway 278/6 near Pontotoc to Highway 78 in Sherman is 95 percent complete.

On July 27, MDOT issued a press release stating that the MS 9 4-lane upgrade would open to traffic on Monday, July 30:

The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is pleased to announce the opening of the newly constructed State Route 9 in Lee County scheduled next week.
On Monday, July 30, 2012, the newly constructed four-lane section of State Route 9 will be open to traffic between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., from US 278/SR 6 at Pontotoc to US 78 at Sherman. Work will be ongoing on both ends of the project and at isolated areas throughout the project.

Wow, that was FAST ...  :-o

SSF

Quote from: Alex on May 01, 2012, 05:26:28 PM
I did note construction barrels in place and some earth moving equipment to the northeast of Sangani and MS-67 last month. This work cannot come soon enough as the turn lanes into the sprawly shopping center added have destroyed the fluidity of I-110 north transitioning to MS-67 north.

Highway 67 interchange project to begin this month

Quote$7.3 million. Work is scheduled to begin in mid-March.

The project is divided into four phases. Phase one involves construction of the permanent connector roads that will be located in the northeast and northwest quadrants of the existing intersection. Temporary traffic signals and a crossover will be installed approximately 300 feet north of the existing traffic signals.

Phase two involves raising the elevation at the intersection of Sangani Boulevard and Indian River Road (near Ruby Tuesday's restaurant).

Phase three involves constructing a new overpass bridge, which will be in the same location as the existing intersection.

Phase four involves removing the temporary signals/ crossover and work to provide final roadway grading and grassing.

Also found another article on the project which lists the timetable:

MDOT to Soon Begin Major Coast Roadwork

QuoteThe project is scheduled to be completed by July 2013.

Phase 1 is complete, i traveled on the new access route to Saganaki tonight.  Phase 2 work looks to be well on its way.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 01, 2012, 12:33:55 PM
On July 27, MDOT issued a press release stating that the MS 9 4-lane upgrade would open to traffic on Monday, July 30:
The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is pleased to announce the opening of the newly constructed State Route 9 in Lee County scheduled next week.
On Monday, July 30, 2012, the newly constructed four-lane section of State Route 9 will be open to traffic between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., from US 278/SR 6 at Pontotoc to US 78 at Sherman. Work will be ongoing on both ends of the project and at isolated areas throughout the project.

Although the road is already open to traffic, I guess the importance of the MS 9 upgrade to Toyota made the August 16 post-opening ribbon-cutting ceremony a photo-op that Ray LaHood could not resist:

WHO: Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant, U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, U.S. Senator Roger Wicker, U.S. Congressman Alan Nunnelee, Former Toyota Senior Vice President Mr. Dennis Cuneo (Managing Partner, WDC Office), and Mr. David Rumbarger of the Community Development Foundation
WHAT: A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be held to celebrate the completion of State Route 9. The purpose of the project was to improve the existing transportation infrastructure on State Route 9 and to accommodate the future growth and economic development in the area. The newly constructed four-lane section of State Route 9 opened to traffic on July 30th, 2012. The project was completed ahead of schedule.
WHERE: Eutaw's Construction Lot; 2993 Dozier Hill Road, Belden, Mississippi
WHEN: Thursday, August 16, at 12 p.m. Noon

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 11, 2012, 06:08:43 PM
the August 16 post-opening ribbon-cutting ceremony

This TV video report has footage of both the ribbon-cutting ceremony and the new MS 9 section of highway itself.

Grzrd

This article indicates that MDOT is increasingly using chip seal instead of paving as a cost-saving measure:

It's like showing up a for a job interview in sweatpants.
That's how area elected leaders and residents feel about several south Mississippi state highways that are getting a "quick fix" known as chip seal rather than pavement. Mississippi Department of Transportation officials said they feel people's pain, but their hands are tied because of a perfect budget storm that has forced them give preference to highways that are in worse shape and more heavily traveled.
That leaves some rural highways - namely Highway 614 which runs east to west and Highway 57 which runs north to south - with chip seal and all the aggravation that comes with it: a noisy, bumpy ride and flying rocks that chip windshields ....
it costs only a fraction of what paving does.
"It's obviously not our preferred method," Jordan said. "We would love to pave everything."
It costs about $275,000 per mile to pave a two-lane highway, he said, vs. $26,500 per mile to resurface it with chip seal, he said.
Chip seal lasts five to seven years vs. about twice as long for pavement
, he said. When it's placed on a roadway, it seeps into cracks and prevents water from getting in, which causes roads to deteriorate ....

MDOT's District 6 recently provided an update on a chip seal project:

District Six Chip Seal Project:
Work began in July on a project located on various routes in District Six.  Kimes & Stone Construction Company of Booneville was awarded the $8.8 million chip seal project. Crews started work along Highway 145 at Clarke County State Park and will move south through Jasper and Jones Counties over the course of the next few weeks.  The project is scheduled to be completed this fall.

Trying to make do with little money ...

codyg1985

The county where I am from (Walker County, AL) uses Chip Seal a lot more on roads that should be getting asphalt. As a matter of fact, chip seal is about the only thing that is put down on top of the road base, so the road doesn't last long at all. Add coal trucks to the mix and it is a disaster.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

^^^  That's exactly what Lincoln Parish does to pave all of their roads.  When Louisiana used chip seal on their state roads, I immediately declare that road an "over-glorified parish road"!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

golden eagle

I-55 lanes closures north of Jackson

This is part of the split diamond interchange and lane expansion project.

golden eagle

I-55 waterworks curve to be straightened out...someday

Unfortunately, this is a paid subscription site, so I can't post any more than what's there. But, at least, we have something on paper stating that it may happen. Maybe 50 years after I'm underground. But the traffic in Jackson would be a nightmare if it ever happens.

bassoon1986

Quote from: golden eagle on October 07, 2012, 11:40:03 PM
I-55 lanes closures north of Jackson

This is part of the split diamond interchange and lane expansion project.

Nice...the article writes about US 463 at the Madison exit. And did anyone else hear the Star Wars theme playing when they interviewed the second woman?

UptownRoadGeek

So will I-55 south of Jackson be getting widened or just the noise barriers that they have proposed on the MDOT website? On that note, wouldn't sections along I-20 and the sections of I-55 north of I-20 be more deserving of sound walls?

brownpelican

MDOT was talking about widening 55 South since the late 90s. Don't know what the holdup is.

golden eagle

On the previous page, I mentioned that I-55 will be widened in south Jackson starting some time next year. I didn't know anything about the noise barriers. I'll go to the website to check it out.

As far as having them on I-20 and on I-55 north of I-20, perhaps, I could see one going up along I-55 at the waterworks curve (between Fortification Street & Woodrow Wilson exits) since there is a residential area bordering along the southbound side. I might could even see a slight justification through north Jackson since there is a nearby residential area. Other than that, I see no real purpose.

The High Plains Traveler

Shifting topics a bit, I had my first chance this month to drive across Mississippi on other than I-10. My route took me from Natchez along U.S. 84 to U.S. 49, then southeast to Hattiesburg, then along U.S. 98 to Mobile. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the highways - note that I chose not to follow 98 the whole way because I was hauling a travel trailer and preferred to be on divided highways. Probably no surprise to anyone familiar with traveling through the state, but I noted the use of both 184 and 198 to mark multiple, disconnected routes that were obviously the old routings of 84 and 98. Presumably this same numbering scheme is used on other improved routes throughout the state where the state continues to maintain the old road.

One question, since our habit when traveling in this way is to pull off at picnic areas or even very wide spots on the shoulder to eat lunch. There was not a single opportunity to safely pull off of these highways anywhere. Contrast that to Texas, which even on 2-lane highways seems to have picnic areas at no more than 10 mile intervals. Are there no roadside tables, other than interstate highway rest areas, in Mississippi?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Ace10

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on October 30, 2012, 07:09:09 PM
Shifting topics a bit, I had my first chance this month to drive across Mississippi on other than I-10. My route took me from Natchez along U.S. 84 to U.S. 49, then southeast to Hattiesburg, then along U.S. 98 to Mobile. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the highways - note that I chose not to follow 98 the whole way because I was hauling a travel trailer and preferred to be on divided highways. Probably no surprise to anyone familiar with traveling through the state, but I noted the use of both 184 and 198 to mark multiple, disconnected routes that were obviously the old routings of 84 and 98. Presumably this same numbering scheme is used on other improved routes throughout the state where the state continues to maintain the old road.

One question, since our habit when traveling in this way is to pull off at picnic areas or even very wide spots on the shoulder to eat lunch. There was not a single opportunity to safely pull off of these highways anywhere. Contrast that to Texas, which even on 2-lane highways seems to have picnic areas at no more than 10 mile intervals. Are there no roadside tables, other than interstate highway rest areas, in Mississippi?

You're correct in that Mississippi numbers old US Route routings with a "1" in front of the original number. In addition to 184 and 198, there is also 178 and 149 sprinkled here and there. There are probably others out there, but I'm not very familiar with the northern part of the state since I live on the Gulf Coast.

I don't think picnic areas are a big defining feature of roads here in Mississippi, but I can only really speak for the southern part of the state. I do know of one picnic area on US 90 near the MS-LA state line, but it looks abandoned and isn't very well maintained.

SSF

i've driven all through most of MS(except the Natchez area) and no, no there arent really any roadside pullovers except for rest areas.  I suppose their argument would be lack of traffic. 

Plenty of MS-145's too on the old alignment of US 45.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Ace10 on October 30, 2012, 09:36:12 PM
You're correct in that Mississippi numbers old US Route routings with a "1" in front of the original number. In addition to 184 and 198, there is also 178 and 149 sprinkled here and there. There are probably others out there, but I'm not very familiar with the northern part of the state since I live on the Gulf Coast.

old state routes also get the 1xx treatment.  2xx is also reserved in this manner.  there is a 245, which is old US-45A.  I would conjecture that there might be a similar provision for old US-49E and US-49W, to have one of them prescribed to use 249 for old alignments.

I do not know how old US-278 would be treated.  My guess is it would be 106, because all of it was MS-6 until 1952, and most of it was MS-6 until 1998.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ace10

Photos of the latest construction at I-110/MS 67 and Promenade Pkwy/Sangani Blvd. Click the photo for a full-size version.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.