News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

One could also make a strong argument for improving I-55 at the Waterworks Curve before widening it south of McDowell.  Waterworks Curve has long been the bigger tie-up point, especially when it rains.

golden eagle

I agree, but something like that will likely be decades from reality. It would require eminent domain due to homes in the Belhaven area and possibly the Woodrow Wilson ramp connecting to I-55 northbound.

froggie

Nothing that hasn't been done before.  The I-59 project in Laurel required eminent domain.  So will the upcoming I-10/110 project.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: froggie on May 24, 2013, 03:45:55 AM
Nothing that hasn't been done before.  The I-59 project in Laurel required eminent domain.  So will the upcoming I-10/110 project.

..but think of the politics involved in clearing a housing project (I-59) vs clearing historic upper/upper middle class homes (I-55) for highway construction. One is considered a good deed by the masses, the latter, well......

golden eagle

US71

Quote from: rel4 on April 16, 2013, 12:47:54 PM

Removal of state highway signs was not done in a timely manner way back when.  There are (were?) still some old colored US and triangle state highway signs in downtown Greenwood as of a few years ago.

"Were". I think one set for 49E/82 remains on a side street, but the 3-sign assembly disappeared sometime in 2008 or 2009.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

golden eagle

Southbound I-55 has been reduced to one lane from McDowell Road to just past Elton Road as the widening project gets underway.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 20, 2012, 01:13:55 PM
MDOT's District One Updates indicates that the expected completion date for the MS 6 paving project has been pushed back to June 2014

This June 5 MDOT video has some good footage of the current paving project and reports that the expected completion date is still June 2014.

richllewis

There are going to be hearings on the Road System in Mississippi. The article states that Mississippi does not have enough money for new highways as well as maintenance of the system. Public hearings will be held throughout the state. The article is at:

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/22808269/state-task-force-on-highways-will-hold-town-hall-meetings

richllewis

There will be constructed a new hurricane evacuation route for Hancock County. More on this story at:

http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart/20130720/NEWS01/307200028/Construction-begins-hurricane-evacuation-route

froggie

That would be the last leg of the MS 607 widening between I-10 and I-59.  They previously widened it through Stennis Space Center, up to where MDOT officially "takes over" a couple miles north of the north gate at Texas Flat Rd.

berberry

So does anybody know any details about the widening of US 49 S in metro Jackson?  After reporting on a fatal wreck at one of the more dangerous turn-around plazas yesterday, the channel 12 ten o'clock news report last night mentioned briefly that widening on 49 will begin soon and some of the turnarounds will be closed.

I checked the new-and-more-dreadful gomdot.com and couldn't find anything about it.  I'm just wondering if anybody knows when "soon" is supposed to be?  Last report I heard, couple years ago I guess, had it that the new road will be six-laned from Florence north, eight-laned from about Walmart Richland north.  Is that still true?

NE2

Quote from: froggie on July 20, 2013, 09:37:19 AM
That would be the last leg of the MS 607 widening between I-10 and I-59.  They previously widened it through Stennis Space Center, up to where MDOT officially "takes over" a couple miles north of the north gate at Texas Flat Rd.
Is MS 607 open to the public? It's the shortest alternate to I-59 for cyclists heading down US 11.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Unless things have changed since I left Stennis in 2008, it's only open to the public during hurricane evacuation.  NASA employees and active duty military can pass through anytime...not sure about military retirees.

Yes, a big PITA for bikes.  The only nearby bike alternative is Texas Flat Rd to MS 43 to US 90, but that adds at least 20 miles (if not more).

lamsalfl

Construction is now underway for an interchange on I-10 at D'Iberville Blvd just west of I-110 interchange.  This should really be a great relief valve for the shopping center.

froggie

IIRC, the plans for I-10/110 included half-interchanges to the local road system to the west, south, and east, plus the under construction full interchange at Santini (sp?) Blvd on MS 15/67.

lamsalfl

The interchange on Sangani Blvd. is complete.  The maps aren't updated on Google, but you can see from a construction-era aerial what the setup is... basically a folded interchange.  15/67 doesn't stop IIRC.

codyg1985

Bryant (a.k.a. Southern Roadgeek) did a video of the newly-completed interchange at MS 15/67 and Sangani Blvd.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: richllewis on July 11, 2013, 06:21:13 AM
There are going to be hearings on the Road System in Mississippi. The article states that Mississippi does not have enough money for new highways as well as maintenance of the system. Public hearings will be held throughout the state. The article is at:
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/22808269/state-task-force-on-highways-will-hold-town-hall-meetings

As previously posted in the "I-69 in MS" thread, MDOT prepared an August 8 Transportation Update for the Task Force. Other Task Force documents can be found here.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 07, 2013, 12:55:24 PM
As previously posted in the "I-69 in MS" thread, MDOT prepared an August 8 Transportation Update for the Task Force. Other Task Force documents can be found here.
Quote from: codyg1985 on September 10, 2013, 08:41:25 AM
Looks like MDOT really wants to get I-10 widened through most of the state.
(above quote from I-69 in MS thread)

The June 12 Transportation Needs Legislative Update lists "Widen 1-10 across the state" as an unfunded immediate capacity need and also describes the US 49 upgrade from Jackson to the Coast as being an "interstate" immediate capacity need (page 18/26 of pdf):

richllewis

The presentation put out by MDOT enumerating needs is just another way of drumming up support for funding  in the Mississippi Legislature. Frankly I smell a tax increase in the works. And I suppose that MDOT will get some more money related to HB 481. This bill as passed by the legislature concerned DUI's and DUI adjudication and DUI interlock devices and Drivers license fees for these devices. I do not know if increased taxes will pass muster with the Governor we have since he is against raising Taxes. But Roads will have to be fixed, widened, and new roads need construction money so someone will come up with something to provide funding for MDOT

froggie

(finally saw the list on pg 74)

Glad to see US 11 in Picayune on the list (Hobolochitto Crk to Hide-A-Way Lake Rd).  It's been a traffic mess ever since Katrina pushed a lot of people into the Picayune area.  I-55 Terry-to-Byram and US 49 north of Florence would also be useful.  The remainder of that list is basically "nice-to-haves" but contrary to what MDOT says aren't REALLY needed for capacity.

berberry

Ran across this and wanted to share.  This interchange was heavily modified a long time ago.

richllewis

Also this is before I-20 and I-55 came on the scene

froggie

That'd be where US 80 crosses State St.  Unless things have changed since 2008, the only modification to that immediate area was State St/"US 51" was extended south in the late '50s to tie into the then-new I-55 South.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.