News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 18, 2010, 06:25:57 PM
Not necessarily. They could be doing a full-depth asphalt replacement.

I could be, but there is also another reason to believe it will be replaced with concrete. There is old and newer concrete (probably 10-15 years old) within the stretch, and they alternate what sides of the roads they are on. For example, once you enter Hinds County heading eastbound, you are on newer concrete and westbound is driving on old concrete. Then after a few miles, it switches, so eastbound has the old concrete and westbound has newer concrete. Not sure why they did it like that, but they did. They are strictly digging up the old concrete through this stretch. They have the roadway down to one lane each direction some places.

codyg1985

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 18, 2010, 06:25:57 PM
Quote from: Marc on October 18, 2010, 01:24:45 AM
I went to Jackson, MS and Memphis, TN last week and stumbled upon something worth mentioning here.

MDOT is in the process of destroying a section of slabbed concrete on I-20 just barely inside Hinds County. This section was getting pretty bad, even after diamond grinding. Since they are destroying the section completely (roadway is down to two lanes in parts), it leads me to believe that they will be resurfacing with new concrete rather than a cheap asphalt overlay.
Not necessarily.  They could be doing a full-depth asphalt replacement.  Once you have to rip up the whole road anyway, then you do a whole new cost assessment to determine what works best.  NJ has done full-depth asphalt replacement of former concrete roads in many locations.

They could also be doing a concrete rubbilization where the concrete is pulverized and used as a new base material for the new pavement, whether it be asphalt or concrete.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

I doubt it's a full-depth pavement replacement.  That's not in MDOT's modus-operandi.  More likely, it's what cody mentioned....concrete rubblization, then lay asphalt on top.

They did something roughly similar on I-20/59 east of Meridian a few years ago, though on that project they preceeded the overlay with a massive concrete repair instead of rubblization.

cjk374

On a recent trip to Slidell from N. La., I noticed a couple of interesting things...

GOOD:  I actually saw NEW I-55 signs that were NON-neutered!  :love:  The backs of these signs were painted a glossy jet-black.  :clap:

BAD:  What is with the MS 822 signs on my favorite stretch of highway--US 80 EB from MS 27 in Vxbrg?  :hmmm: Then in Crystal Spgs, on what should've been US 51 NB I noticed another MS 8xx sign, and no signs for US 51 SB or NB.  But then, going down I-55 SB, there were detour signs out for US 51.  Can any1 tell me what is going on???  :confused:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: cjk374 on November 10, 2010, 02:15:49 PM
I actually saw NEW I-55 signs that were NON-neutered!  :love:  The backs of these signs were painted a glossy jet-black.  :clap:

I think those have something to do with ContraFlow, but I'm not sure.

codyg1985

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 10, 2010, 02:57:02 PM
I actually saw NEW I-55 signs that were NON-neutered!  :love:  The backs of these signs were painted a glossy jet-black.  :clap:

I think you are right. I've seen similar shiels along I-59 in Mississippi with the jet-black back on them.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cjk374

All of theses new signs were on I-55 NB, and some were north of the contra-flow area.

froggie

QuoteBAD:  What is with the MS 822 signs on my favorite stretch of highway--US 80 EB from MS 27 in Vxbrg?   Then in Crystal Spgs, on what should've been US 51 NB I noticed another MS 8xx sign, and no signs for US 51 SB or NB.  But then, going down I-55 SB, there were detour signs out for US 51.  Can any1 tell me what is going on???  

It's not bad, per se...I think you've just been mistaken.  Officially, US 80 has been duplexed with I-20 between Louisiana and Exit 35 in Clinton for over 2 decades.  What was old US 80 between Vicksburg and Bovina has been MS 822 for years...but historically, Mississippi 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx routes have been unposted or underposted over the years.

Similar situation with US 51 in Crystal Springs.  Again here, US 51 has duplexed with I-55 between Crystal Springs and Jackson for decades...using MS 27 to make the crossover between old route and Interstate.  Old US 51 north of MS 27 up to the Copiah/Hinds County line is officially MS 801.

cjk374

Quote from: froggie on November 10, 2010, 04:08:14 PM
QuoteBAD:  What is with the MS 822 signs on my favorite stretch of highway--US 80 EB from MS 27 in Vxbrg?   Then in Crystal Spgs, on what should've been US 51 NB I noticed another MS 8xx sign, and no signs for US 51 SB or NB.  But then, going down I-55 SB, there were detour signs out for US 51.  Can any1 tell me what is going on??? 

It's not bad, per se...I think you've just been mistaken.  Officially, US 80 has been duplexed with I-20 between Louisiana and Exit 35 in Clinton for over 2 decades.  What was old US 80 between Vicksburg and Bovina has been MS 822 for years...but historically, Mississippi 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx routes have been unposted or underposted over the years.

Even though the US 80 signs are still posted along this route?  :confused:

Quote from: froggie on November 10, 2010, 04:08:14 PM

Similar situation with US 51 in Crystal Springs.  Again here, US 51 has duplexed with I-55 between Crystal Springs and Jackson for decades...using MS 27 to make the crossover between old route and Interstate.  Old US 51 north of MS 27 up to the Copiah/Hinds County line is officially MS 801.

I've never been on I-55 between Crystal Spgs and Byram (13 miles).  but wouldn't you see signs for US 51 on MS 27 from I-55 to where US 51 runs south?  I never saw a US 51 sign anywhere in Crystal Spgs.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cjk374 on November 10, 2010, 04:24:16 PM

Even though the US 80 signs are still posted along this route?  :confused:

leftovers.  a friend of mine found an embossed MISS/US/80 shield on that road in 2008!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 10, 2010, 02:59:13 PM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 10, 2010, 02:57:02 PM

I think you are right. I've seen similar shiels along I-59 in Mississippi with the jet-black back on them.

The black back signs indicate that it is a newer installation. I do not believe that the different backs have anything to do with contra-flow. I have seen several black backed signs in the northern part of the state (well away from the contra-flow areas) and all of those, like the ones mentioned here, are state named shields. So if you see a black backed sign, that is pretty much an indication that it will be a state named, at least in my travels through Mississippi lately...     :D

froggie

QuoteEven though the US 80 signs are still posted along this route?

MDOT isn't exactly a bastion of signage efficiency.

QuoteI've never been on I-55 between Crystal Spgs and Byram (13 miles).  but wouldn't you see signs for US 51 on MS 27 from I-55 to where US 51 runs south?  I never saw a US 51 sign anywhere in Crystal Spgs.

This is a different situation than what I recall.  In the not-too-distant past, US 51 was signed fairly well along its duplex with MS 27.

cjk374

I personally am thrilled that MsDOT still has US 80 signed on the original route.  They sure don't have it signed on I-20 btwn Vxburg and Jackson.  And WOW, what a find!  An embossed shield! 

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on November 11, 2010, 12:34:58 PM
I personally am thrilled that MsDOT still has US 80 signed on the original route.  They sure don't have it signed on I-20 btwn Vxburg and Jackson.  And WOW, what a find!  An embossed shield! 

There are a few in Vicksburg itself, but it's not well signed:

This next one seems to show 80 following its old alignment, but it disappears after this point until Clinton

Here EB 80 splits off I-20 until you get to near Meridian.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: cjk374 on November 11, 2010, 12:34:58 PM
And WOW, what a find!  An embossed shield! 

it, ahem, followed him home.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2010, 12:50:45 PM

There are a few in Vicksburg itself, but it's not well signed:

This next one seems to show 80 following its old alignment, but it disappears after this point until Clinton

There are more US 80 signs beyond this point marking the original route almost all the way to Bovina.

cjk374

Something else I noticed on MS 27 btwn Vxburg and Utica....there seems to be a "camera complex" on both sides of the road, and the little bit of the road going between them has been repaved.  What is this?  Big brother?  :hmmm:   

mightyace

It sounds like it could be speeding cameras to take pictures of cars speeding and then mail them a ticket.

There are also red light cameras but you didn't say it was near a light.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

State law prohibits speed and red light cameras in Mississippi, so it's not that.

One possibility is an origin-destination study...occasionally cameras are used to record license plates to aid in figuring out where traffic is going.  Most people don't understand it, but it's *VERY* important for planning and corridor studies.

Bryant5493

Quick Question: U.S. 90 between Mobile and Biloxi, is a worthwhile scenic drive? I'm thinking the next time that I go to Biloxi, to drive that portion than getting on I-10. Suggestions/comments welcomed. Thanks.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

froggie

Not really in that direction.  It's more scenic west of Biloxi over to Bay St. Louis, then again in eastern Orleans Parish between the Rigolets and Chef Menteur.

golden eagle

Quote from: Bryant5493 on November 26, 2010, 09:14:54 AM
Quick Question: U.S. 90 between Mobile and Biloxi, is a worthwhile scenic drive? I'm thinking the next time that I go to Biloxi, to drive that portion than getting on I-10. Suggestions/comments welcomed. Thanks.

Be well,

Bryant

I agree with Froggie. However, I'd take the Ocean Springs exit and start from there. I will say, though, that driving down U.S. 90 does depress me at times because of all the businesses and homes I used to see were swept away by Katrina. There's still a lot of evidence of that there.

cjk374

The camera cluster was located just south of the Big Black River where there was cotton fields on both sides of the road and the road is pretty flat and straight.

Bryant5493

Thanks, froggie and golden eagle. I should be going to the Biloxi area this Christmas, so I'll be getting I-165 in Mobile County and U.S. 90 between Mobile and Biloxi on film, as I've not driven U.S. 90 east of Ocean Springs. I've only been on U.S. 90 from where the Wendy's is in Ocean Springs to just past the port in Gulfport, just entering Long Beach.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

brownpelican

Quote from: Bryant5493 on November 29, 2010, 08:10:56 PM
Thanks, froggie and golden eagle. I should be going to the Biloxi area this Christmas, so I'll be getting I-165 in Mobile County and U.S. 90 between Mobile and Biloxi on film, as I've not driven U.S. 90 east of Ocean Springs. I've only been on U.S. 90 from where the Wendy's is in Ocean Springs to just past the port in Gulfport, just entering Long Beach.

Be well,

Bryant

Whenever I'd come back from the Mobile/Pensacola area to Louisiana, I always get off at the East Pascagoula/East Moss Point Exit (Miss. 63) and drive on 90 past Waveland, then get on Miss. 607 North back to I-10.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.